Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Texas kicks it up a notch...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on my 10 years of experience as a Tesla customer, I will stick with my call of no volume deliveries of CT until 2022. Building the factory building is the easy part. No new tech involved w/ building a building.

In order to build CTs, Tesla has to build a new line with new equipment (new stamping/bending machines for SS vs the AL they are used to working with, new window material, etc), with new battery cells, using new materials and get it all working together.

Based on my 10 years of experience as a Tesla customer, I will stick with my call of no volume deliveries of CT until 2022. Building the factory building is the easy part. No new tech involved w/ building a building.

In order to build CTs, Tesla has to build a new line with new equipment (new stamping/bending machines for SS vs the AL they are used to working with, new window material, etc), with new battery cells, using new materials and get it all working together.
Model Y was early... They were making them before the line was even done.

Right. I'm sure they are working on these engnieering details while the factory is under construction.

If my CT panel gaps are a bit off, I'll just hit it with a sledgehammer
The beautiful thing about any plants built beyond Fremont is the lines are planned along and before construction. Fremont is a maze of intersecting lines that were constructed to fit a plant wayyy before Tesla.

Same happened in Shanghai and M3's in China are from what i've heard, flawless for the most part.

Reactions: CyberGus
Model Y was early... They were making them before the line was even done.
Model Y is a simple modification of the M3. There is no new tech in the MY from the M3. Ok, the heat pump, and we've all seen the DIY Home Depot heat pump wood strips to attach those.....

CT is using a ton of new tech. New battery cell, new window materials, new body materials, new mechanisms for the bed cover, etc. There will be problems to be overcome. I am confident that they will solve the problems, but it will take time.

Reactions: Mr X
Model Y is a simple modification of the M3. There is no new tech in the MY from the M3. Ok, the heat pump, and we've all seen the DIY Home Depot heat pump wood strips to attach those.....

CT is using a ton of new tech. New battery cell, new window materials, new body materials, new mechanisms for the bed cover, etc. There will be problems to be overcome. I am confident that they will solve the problems, but it will take time.
Not true, there was actually quite a bit of new tech, manufacturing processes and design changes to improve the Y, the frame is almost down to one to two pieces and requires far less welding which has now been improved on the 3 as well. You should watch the Sandy Munro tear down as he covers it incredibly well.

Not true, there was actually quite a bit of new tech, manufacturing processes and design changes to improve the Y, the frame is almost down to one to two pieces and requires far less welding which has now been improved on the 3 as well. You should watch the Sandy Munro tear down as he covers it incredibly well.
Those changes are all evolutions of what Tesla has been building since 2012. With CT, on top of all of the evolutionary changes (like tri-motor, etc), add all-new window material, all-new body material (this is the biggest question mark), all-new battery cell and pack construction, and on and on. Obviously, this entire thread is speculation, we will eventually know how it turns out. But IMO, thinking that CT will be early, or even on time, is wildly wishful thinking. I say that as someone who has been a customer of Tesla for over 10 years.

Reactions: CO_MY
Let's examine the new window material issue. They don't need the factory completed before they can finish the engineering of the technology. It's been over a year since the demonstration, so it might already be resolved. I doubt this will hold up production. But I am curious to see what it looks like with the front window rolled down. It comes to a point at the top, so hopefully the entire panels retracts.

Living in the area, I'm like the cat that ate the cheese, ... waiting with baited breath for the Texla factory to come online.
I'm...stunned. That spelling is normally supposed to be "bated breath", but because of the phrase before it, you managed to make that misspelling accidentally correct. So with the cat eating the cheese, he has breath that smells like cheese, so that could act as "bait" that would attract a mouse to come to the cat's open mouth, so breath that is bait. Bravo! I've never seen that before.

Reportedly Tesla is building a CYBRTRK assembly line in Fremont and training workers, so it is ready to go when GIGA Texas opens. Good planning.
Based upon the report of a "pilot" CT line being built at Fremont to work out production for TeraTexas, combined with the S/X lines getting extensive rework done, I've speculated in the Investment thread how the CT pilot line might start producing vehicles for delivery well before the CT production in Texas begins.

What if the two lines for S/X were combined and production capacity significantly improved, freeing up one of the two S/X lines for CT development?

This leads me to dream upon the possibility of Tesla delivering BEV pickups from Fremont to customers well ahead of Rivian, GM, and Ford offerings, while making headlines in the process.

It is a speculative long-shot, but, fingers crossed🤞, it would be great to see something like this unfold.

Reactions: mark95476
I had the benefit of being able to pick-up my Tesla from Fremont. I'd love to be able to pick-up my CT from Fremont's assembly line.

Even though CT would be more resilient to problems, vehicles still get damaged during transport, loaders making mistakes, and prep.

Based upon the report of a "pilot" CT line being built at Fremont to work out production for TeraTexas, combined with the S/X lines getting extensive rework done, I've speculated in the Investment thread how the CT pilot line might start producing vehicles for delivery well before the CT production in Texas begins.

What if the two lines for S/X were combined and production capacity significantly improved, freeing up one of the two S/X lines for CT development?

This leads me to dream upon the possibility of Tesla delivering BEV pickups from Fremont to customers well ahead of Rivian, GM, and Ford offerings, while making headlines in the process.

It is a speculative long-shot, but, fingers crossed🤞, it would be great to see something like this unfold.
Reportedly Tesla is building a CYBRTRK assembly line in Fremont and training workers, so it is ready to go when GIGA Texas opens. Good planning.