Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Texas Model Y Accelerate Delivery Offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4A1179AD-11C1-447D-9060-82D02A0EADCC.jpeg
3593D6F6-E310-46C7-A544-1F20EAC0EDBD.jpeg

Link to Tweet:

I got an option to move to MY AWD (4680 pack). Are there folks who have taken this option? I am local in Austin, and was on MYP (June mid EDD)

Given you are looking at MYP vs MYAWD and a June EDD, you're giving up a lot of performance and range for a fairly modest bump in the delivery date.

MYAWD is basically the same price as MYLR (for those holding reservations from months back). It's slightly slower than a MYLR, weighs the same, and has unknown other details. For someone facing a 2023 EDD on a MYLR who really needs a car I could see it as a win.

But Tesla hasn't claimed faster charging. If anything a smaller pack is likely to charge slower.

Agreed smaller-pack typically reduces the total mass of cells able to soak up charge thus slower charging rate. That said, the continuous-tab design of the 4680 was intended to reduce conductor path length and resistance yielding higher efficiency and power handing per cell... Of course we're a bit cautious since the weight savings didn't materialize.

So who gonna bite the bullet and get 1 of these to test out

I mean i knew tesla would not pass the 4680 benefits much to the consumer
But logically they couldn’t alienate the existing 2170s orders either or cancel galore

But for 60k what a robbery imo unless ur desperate for delivery

Most of the so-called “benefits” of the 4680 are just pure speculation at this point and were never confirmed by Tesla or anyone else.

Until the proper people get their hands on a 4680 car to put through testing and compare back to back with a 2170 car, there has been nothing definitive to suggest 4680 offers any tangible benefits for the consumer at this time.

Even if there were, Tesla could just software limit things like charging speed, capacity, and performance to keep it on par with 2170 cars. Especially since eventually there would be both 2170 and 4680 MY LR sold at the same time if Texas starts 4680 LR production and Fremont continues with 2170 LR.

The main driver for 4680 structural battery and one piece castings were to streamline manufacturing speed and cost.

For now probably the only reason to go for the MY AWD is to be able to skip the months (almost year) long wait for the MY LR if you really needed a car sooner and don’t mind giving up the extra range.

I am going to bite the bullet and go for MYAWD. A gamble that I am willing to take. My reasoning comes fromthe following
1. I trust Tesla would do a recall/sw update once they have enough data on MYAWD and bump the range. This current reduced range makes sense for a new tech
2. Once all the 2170 gets sold out, they will most likely bump the range on 4680
3. Osborne effect. 4680 is the future for Tesla.
4. I am not too worried on price point, as much as brand and tech inside it

I got an option to move to MY AWD (4680 pack). Are there folks who have taken this option? I am local in Austin, and was on MYP (June mid EDD)

If you were buying a MYP, the specs of this car are both significantly slower (3.5 to 5.0) and somewhat lower range. I certainly wouldnt switch, but its not my money (or, I already spent my money, on both a model 3 P in 2018 and a model Y P in 2022).

Reactions: E90alex
I am going to bite the bullet and go for MYAWD. A gamble that I am willing to take. My reasoning comes fromthe following
1. I trust Tesla would do a recall/sw update once they have enough data on MYAWD and bump the range. This current reduced range makes sense for a new tech
2. Once all the 2170 gets sold out, they will most likely bump the range on 4680

1. I wouldnt PLAN on that. PLAN on it being the range its quoted (and remember that you will not get that range in actual use, just like every other tesla.

2. Doubtful, very doubtful.

3. It may be, but not at lower range and slower than current tech

4. Thats up to you.

The newest thing is not always the best. At this point right now, it does not appear to be. One should NEVER EVER buy something on the promise or hope of "what it might do in the future". One should buy (or not) based on what the item does RIGHT NOW.

I say this as a 2018 owner of a model 3 performance, who bought EAP when I bought the car because I was happy with the feature set at the time. I also bought FSD for 2k additional in april of 2019 because I was happy with the fact that it would get me a computer upgrade. I did NOT buy it for any additional features, so whatever FSD becomes or not, is bonus / gravvy to me.

Do NOT buy based on what you "think" it will be. Buy (or not) on what it IS, RIGHT NOW.

Most of the so-called “benefits” of the 4680 are just pure speculation at this point and were never confirmed by Tesla or anyone else.

Until the proper people get their hands on a 4680 car to put through testing and compare back to back with a 2170 car, there has been nothing definitive to suggest 4680 offers any tangible benefits for the consumer at this time.

Even if there were, Tesla could just software limit things like charging speed, capacity, and performance to keep it on par with 2170 cars. Especially since eventually there would be both 2170 and 4680 MY LR sold at the same time if Texas starts 4680 LR production and Fremont continues with 2170 LR.

The main driver for 4680 structural battery and one piece castings were to streamline manufacturing speed and cost.

For now probably the only reason to go for the MY AWD is to be able to skip the months (almost year) long wait for the MY LR if you really needed a car sooner and don’t mind giving up the extra range.

Elon over-sold the 4680 which was always at it's heart a way to improve manufacturing and materials efficiency. 800-odd cells to fabricate and bolt into a pack instead of 4000+ for the 2170. 5x fewer electrical connections to make reliable over the life of the car.

It's a very good technology step forward. Alas currently packaged as almost-parity with the peak of the prior technology. It'll advance over time. It's worth it. But to the consumer it's a shockingly big non-event.

Reactions: E90alex

Given that there are physically fewer cells in the MYAWD pack, I would not be betting on any major software-upgraded range. They might get comfortable with the cells and unlock a bit of margin, but the thing is simply smaller than the 2170 pack.

Reactions: Twiglett
I am going to bite the bullet and go for MYAWD. A gamble that I am willing to take.
I am completely speculating here but I imagine they are only shipping to the Austin area because it'll be easier to resolve battery related issues at the factory as opposed to a random service center. To me this feels like you spending not that much less than a MYLR to be a beta tester for their new battery technology.

With that said, an MYP to MYAWD seems like a huge downgrade in terms of original expectations. As long as you're cool with it and understand what you'd be missing, I think that would be pretty cool to get one of the first few public cars using the new battery tech. I just hope you post everything about it 😁

Also you said you have a June EDD? Is it a two week window? Because if so, you probably have a decent chance of it actually fulfilling. I've seen a lot of EDD windows getting validated within the last few days!

Elon over-sold the 4680 which was always at it's heart a way to improve manufacturing and materials efficiency. 800-odd cells to fabricate and bolt into a pack instead of 4000+ for the 2170. 5x fewer electrical connections to make reliable over the life of the car.

It's a very good technology step forward. Alas currently packaged as almost-parity with the peak of the prior technology. It'll advance over time. It's worth it. But to the consumer it's a shockingly big non-event.
It does make sense to soft-release the new battery on a short-range car, avoiding the Osborne effect.

But I'm concerned with that NMC chemistry, these cells aren't going to like Texas heat, especially if they sit at 70% or higher SoC.

The range is physical limited by not having a fully packed battery pack. They might be able to increase some through software, but won't be much. Future 4680 pack could have much higher range once they populate the pack fully.

I'm not the only who who thinks they could charge faster.

That article was from 2020 though. At that time nobody had any firm data to work on, it was all speculation and extrapolating what was said.
Now we have a real car with a real structural pack with fewer cells than expected and less range than expected - but still have no real data.

Some of us remember what happens when people expand what was said based on wants rather than data - then set crazy expectations.
Here looking pointedly at the folks convinced the Model 3 would have a HUD because Elon once tweeted "its a spaceship" 🤣

Reactions: jjrandorin
I am completely speculating here but I imagine they are only shipping to the Austin area because it'll be easier to resolve battery related issues at the factory as opposed to a random service center. To me this feels like you spending not that much less than a MYLR to be a beta tester for their new battery technology.
I think you hit the exact point here. For Tesla, it is letting them get immediate feedback on problems they have on a new line. The upside to this is anyone having a problem will probably see some whole part replacements happen quickly (i.e. something odd in a battery pack - swap it out) so that the problem part can be poured over by the engineers. These same "low mileage" cars have probably been poked and prodded a bit by hands after they come off the line.

The obvious downside is exactly that you are getting a car off of a brand new line so there WILL be issues and things that need to be adjusted.

If you were in the area and needed a vehicle *now* this is probably a pretty good idea. If you have an order in place was are expecting it in the next few months, it probably wouldn't be the answer.

That article was from 2020 though. At that time nobody had any firm data to work on, it was all speculation and extrapolating what was said.
Now we have a real car with a real structural pack with fewer cells than expected and less range than expected - but still have no real data.

Some of us remember what happens when people expand what was said based on wants rather than data - then set crazy expectations.
Here looking pointedly at the folks convinced the Model 3 would have a HUD because Elon once tweeted "its a spaceship" 🤣

Agreed - and that estimate for improved charging time assumed a full size pack of 4680, not a depopulated one

I just got the same kind of offer for our order.
Initially it looked like a great deal, until I noticed it didn't have any of the options I selected for our order.
Having been through that once before with my Model 3, I'd rather wait to get the options I want.
When the Model 3 first came out you could choose color and wheel size. Nothing else was available.