Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Texas Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My salesman just informed me chances are good that my November MYLR delivery will be produced in Austin.
Unfortunately sales people aren’t the most reliable source of information. Reddit and TMC forum members usually provide more up to date information…haha.

Usually with Tesla, things just happen without much warning (ie the HEPA filter that starting arriving with July Model Y builds). But good luck.

YEah, but you can still switch your order later. You'll get updated pricing if you do that, when/if you do it. But in the chance that there is not a longer range model, you'll be locked into the current price.
Exactly what I did in 2020. I got my MY reserved and locked at $48,990, So...yeah, seeing that price now, I am happy I held it, and on top of it, all I am getting after July build is even better. I do not think the batteries will be ready this year, just by the call and how they have engineering issues with the rollers. Either way, I would rather get a car I know I will enjoy now and has great resell potential that if I absolutely needed the range (with 300, I know I will be perfectly fine as I had a Nissan leaf in 2015 with only 110 miles on a good day). But as always, it comes down to the buyer as we all have different needs. Just because the Austin plant might be a single front and rear and saves Tesla money does NOT mean it will save us the money. Supply and demand (increased prices we are seeing) are very wild.

My salesman just informed me chances are good that my November MYLR delivery will be produced in Austin.

I would take anything that the salesman says with a grain of salt. I don't think they know much more, and sometimes less, than what we know here. I see you are on the West Coast and Elon said Texas would handle East coast and Fremont would handle West. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time he has said something that changes.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and jsight
I would take anything that the salesman says with a grain of salt. I don't think they know much more, and sometimes less, than what we know here. I see you are on the West Coast and Elon said Texas would handle East coast and Fremont would handle West. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time he has said something that changes.
I heard that as well and that even if the Texas factory starts spitting out Teslas, it will be a prolonged rate for some time. Either way, I am set for Oct/Nov; whatever happens, happens. I hope that if it is Texas that I get, they have QA'ed it before shipping..... I do not want wide panel gaps, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: mark95476
Agreed. Logistics are already horrible for getting cars across the country. Why ship from east to west when there is already a factory in the west? Until Austin produces more cars than there are orders to fulfill in the East, they will not send cars west. No way this is happening by the end of 2021 with EDD already into December for new orders. Assuming the EDD is not counting Austin production. Even then, it will just help the 4 month backlog for east coast. We already see many instances of cars going to more recent west coast orders instead of prior east coast orders for EOQ rush so that practice isn't going to stop anytime soon.

All exciting news for Tesla in USA with Giga Texas. I was torn with delaying my Y for a Texas build vs a Fremont plant. My LR Y was ordered May 9th. VIN was issued Aug 21st. Just got the text today to schedule my pick up. Set it for September 10th. I decided to go with the flow. If it came before Giga Texas it was meant to be. I would be a little annoyed if the range is much longer as that’s something I do need. Waiting for the Cybertruck.

Does anyone know if Tesla has resolved the issue of delivering cars in Texas that are produced in Texas or are the still having to first ship it out of state?

All exciting news for Tesla in USA with Giga Texas. I was torn with delaying my Y for a Texas build vs a Fremont plant. My LR Y was ordered May 9th. VIN was issued Aug 21st. Just got the text today to schedule my pick up. Set it for September 10th. I decided to go with the flow. If it came before Giga Texas it was meant to be. I would be a little annoyed if the range is much longer as that’s something I do need. Waiting for the Cybertruck.

Does anyone know if Tesla has resolved the issue of delivering cars in Texas that are produced in Texas or are the still having to first ship it out of state?
Here is the thing, if you cancel delivery you are at the back of the line, so 2022 for you. Second, Elon has said the weight reduction will see a range bump but I think it was a small % but too tired to search for it right now. With how hard it is to get a LR, you need to ask yourself if you are okay with a longer wait for possible small range boost. And it could be longer as Austin is only going to be producing so many and Fremont might start to go back to the others. So, too many unknowns to give up your car but that is completely your call. Mine would be heck no, I’d rather enjoy the car now over what can be and worse case the market still is paying top $$$ for cars used. Just my thought.

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
Hmm, still using the older headlights. Hoping the TX made production models will use the updated headlights.
No reason to use matrix lights which are designed for countries with light output restrictions. They produce less lumens, why would you want them in your car?

They aren’t going to release cars with different ranges to people who paid the same price. They will either be software locked or the battery pack capacity with be reduced to get the same range. If anything like the LFP batteries for SR+3, it will be an opt in except the extra range will likely cost more. They won’t just ship them out randomly. For M3, 10k for 90mi and awd. So 5k for range is about $55/mi. If it’s a 20mi boost due to weight saving, would you pay $1000 for that?

No reason to use matrix lights which are designed for countries with light output restrictions. They produce less lumens, why would you want them in your car?
Why do I want them? I already have the updated headlights on my MYP.

Why do others want the updated headlights? Because it’s human nature for people to want the latest and greatest. Especially if Tesla eventually unlocks the advanced matrix headlights in the future. All current versions of the Model 3 and the MYP being produced have the updated lights. The US spec MYLR is basically the last car being produced with the older headlights.

These videos demonstrate the difference between the old and new headlights on the Model 3. Not sure why you’re so adamant that the new headlights are a step backwards.

And a recent test of the MYLR lights.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bikeman
1630241967705.png

Like someone quoted, "looks like a Pez dispenser for the Model Y castings." Some more great progress to see.

Why do I want them? I already have the updated headlights on my MYP.

Why do others want the updated headlights? Because it’s human nature for people to want the latest and greatest. Especially if Tesla eventually unlocks the advanced matrix headlights in the future. All current versions of the Model 3 and the MYP being produced have the updated lights. The US spec MYLR is basically the last car being produced with the older headlights.

These videos demonstrate the difference between the old and new headlights on the Model 3. Not sure why you’re so adamant that the new headlights are a step backwards.

And a recent test of the MYLR lights.

They are a step backwards because they produce less light output. The matrix lights in the second video look so much brighter because there is white snow everywhere reflecting light. Even then it is only marginally better than the LRY in the 3rd video. The first video is using the old lights but in Euro spec with reduced output which is why they look so bad. It is not representative of the US lights.

They are a step backwards because they produce less light output. The matrix lights in the second video look so much brighter because there is white snow everywhere reflecting light. Even then it is only marginally better than the LRY in the 3rd video. The first video is using the old lights but in Euro spec with reduced output which is why they look so bad. It is not representative of the US lights.

The new headlights have the potential to benefit from the advanced matrix capabilities (although if/when this happens is anyone's guess).

Pretty sure if you asked 100 new owners waiting for MYLR deliveries, not one would be disappointed that their MYLR came with the updated headlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.