Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Texas Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finally getting a small glimpse of what the matrix headlights are capable of.
Because shining basic letters is so advanced. You can do Tesla with a 7 segment LCD display (yes, only half a T but what else could it be) so that's not advanced at all. And what use? To show people what kind of car you drive? Whoopty friggin do...

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
Because shining basic letters is so advanced. You can do Tesla with a 7 segment LCD display (yes, only half a T but what else could it be) so that's not advanced at all. And what use? To show people what kind of car you drive? Whoopty friggin do...
LOL. You stated the advanced matrix features would never be approved in the US. Looks like there’s progress on that front. And now the Model S headlights have been revised to start including the matrix projectors. That’s great. The headlights on my 2016 Model S were really underwhelming.

And advise you to read this IIHS link: 2021 Tesla Model Y 4-door SUV. Contrary to your assertion that the MYP projectors suck in comparison to the LED reflector array, these test results say otherwise. The projectors received a Good rating while the older assembly received an Average rating.

But I’m sure you’ll find a way to portray these things in some negative light. Whatever.

Last edited:
Ready, Willing, and Able to trade up from my 2020 LR AWD Y to a new 2022 Y the day they announce the 4680 Y.
If the 4680 car comes with a nice increase in range then I will do the same.

The other possibility is that they keep the range the same as the 2170 cars so they can increase profit margin. In that case I will keep the car I have until the warranty expires.

If the 4680 car comes with a nice increase in range then I will do the same.

The other possibility is that they keep the range the same as the 2170 cars so they can increase profit margin. In that case I will keep the car I have until the warranty expires.
I’m curious to see how they actually change the battery pack. Like you, I think there is a reasonable chance that the range will stay the same and the cost of the battery pack is reduced. But, does that mean a smaller more efficient battery pack that requires less cells and is therefore lighter? If the reduction in weight is significant it could result in lower load on the motors and a reduction in watts/mile. The reduction in operating expense and the potentially longer life of the batteries might still make it worth a look.

I’m curious to see how they actually change the battery pack. Like you, I think there is a reasonable chance that the range will stay the same and the cost of the battery pack is reduced. But, does that mean a smaller more efficient battery pack that requires less cells and is therefore lighter? If the reduction in weight is significant it could result in lower load on the motors and a reduction in watts/mile. The reduction in operating expense and the potentially longer life of the batteries might still make it worth a look.
If they decide to keep the same battery capacity with new 4680 battery pack then total weight should go down. This should get us some range improvements because of lighter vehicle and better acceleration.
If they decide to increase capacity then we get better range...
No matter how I look at it, we should see range improvements, unless new 4680 battery capacity is less than we get today (unlikely).

Last edited:
Reactions: Terminator857
Would be nice to increase the mileage to about 360. But like posted before, there is no competition out there and I'm sure this is the last of their worries. I dont mind waiting for my car specially if I am saving some weight and hopefully gaining a bit of range. Will have to stay vigilant once we see cars rolling out and getting data from customers receiving them, to see what we can find out if the change is as good as we think it will be.

No matter how I look at it, we should see range improvements, unless new 4680 battery capacity is less than we get today (unlikely).
I think it’s possible, maybe even probable, that they would reduce the capacity and keep the range the same. Increased efficiency yields more storage per cell yields fewer cells required for the same energy storage and less weight; resulting in ceteris paribus more range. If they are happy with the range as is they would reduce the overall battery capacity and compound the cost savings.

I doubt Tesla will increase range substantially initially, but would be great if they did. Over a couple of years I think they will. Also expect Tesla to announce minor range increases via OTA update, just to keep everyone excited, marketing / buzz going.

Last edited:
LOL. You stated the advanced matrix features would never be approved in the US. Looks like there’s progress on that front. And now the Model S headlights have been revised to start including the matrix projectors. That’s great. The headlights on my 2016 Model S were really underwhelming.

And advise you to read this IIHS link: 2021 Tesla Model Y 4-door SUV. Contrary to your assertion that the MYP projectors suck in comparison to the LED reflector array, these test results say otherwise. The projectors received a Good rating while the older assembly received an Average rating.

But I’m sure you’ll find a way to portray these things in some negative light. Whatever.
I don’t believe I ever said they sucked, just that they weren’t an improvement. I down have a MYP so I can’t personally comment. My comments were based on others who said they got a MYP and said they saw no improvement. At the time, I used safety headlight ratings for the 2020 MY compared to 2021. They were both rated good at the time I believe. If they have changed that then it is new information.

Status
Not open for further replies.