Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory 1 production

Will GF1 produce 35 GWh/year by 2018?

• Yes

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla yesterday published the following paragraph online:

“We began battery cell production at the Gigafactory in early 2017, and by 2018, it will produce 35 GWh/year of lithium-ion battery cells, nearly as much as the rest of the world’s entire battery production combined.”

Do you believe Tesla will produce 35 GWh/year by 2018?

Voted no for obvious reasons. 200k Model 3 @ 70kWh = 14GWh. 21GWh for Tesla Energy is impossible. The only reason they may come somewhat close is if Model S/X switches over to GF1 sourced cells. Management has been adament there are no plans to do so.

We have to ask some simple questions: Does Tesla generally guide aspirationally or realistically? Do they have a pattern of achieving what they say in the timeframe they project? What does current energy production at the GF suggest about the timeline?

Voted no for obvious reasons. 200k Model 3 @ 70kWh = 14GWh. 21GWh for Tesla Energy is impossible. The only reason they may come somewhat close is if Model S/X switches over to GF1 sourced cells. Management has been adament there are no plans to do so.
I'd be shocked if Model S and X didn't shift over when they could - it allows for cheaper cells and frees up Panasonic to provide batteries to others out of Japan. I realize it requires a pack architecture change in S + X. But your point is still a good one:
200K Model 3 @ 70 kWh = 14 gWh
100K Model S+X @ 90 kWh = 9 gWh
Tesla Energy @ 12 gWh?

Doesn't seem likely. Voted no.

Why not believe them?

It might mean

a) a 35 GWh/year run rate by end of 2018
b) a 35 GWh total production in the year 2018
c) a 35 GWh/year run rate end of 2017

Would be voting for b).
I read it as a). GWh/year is a rate, not a total. That's what Elon always means by rate, and he is always misinterpreted.

Reactions: Discoducky
I'd be shocked if Model S and X didn't shift over when they could - it allows for cheaper cells and frees up Panasonic to provide batteries to others out of Japan. I realize it requires a pack architecture change in S + X. But your point is still a good one:
200K Model 3 @ 70 kWh = 14 gWh
100K Model S+X @ 90 kWh = 9 gWh
Tesla Energy @ 12 gWh?

Doesn't seem likely. Voted no.

Those calculations are at pack level. 35 GWh goal was at the cell level.