Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Gigafactory 2 is the Tesla solar plant in New York"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

From the Q1 2017 Shareholder letter at http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...B-899D148F323D/TSLA_Update_Letter_2016_4Q.pdf

Quote: "Later this year, we expect to finalize locations for Gigafactories 3, 4 and possibly 5 (Gigafactory 2 is the Tesla solar plant in New York)."

Wow. Finalizing sites for the next 3 Gigafactories later this year?

And I did not realize that Tesla was calling the New York solar plant Gigafactory 2.

I suppose the the original idea for multiple gigafactories occurred before the Solar City acquisition.... so this appears to be an adaptation to the new amalgamation of Tesla. And since solar panels produce gigawatts as do batteries, it makes sense.

"FSD hardware blog"? I don't know what you are referring to.

It occurs to me that perhaps the New York solar panel production facility could be expanded to incorporate battery production. Maybe that is why Tesla is now calling it Gigafactory 2?
All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now Have Full Self-Driving Hardware

And he did call it "part 2" so I guess I can give him a pass. :)

I realize the change in plans, just seems like a pattern of setting an expectation and then hearing that the goal has been reached but it's not what you expected, it's this thing over here. No biggie (not be confused with big league). ;)

Last edited:
@Sonny Daze thanks, now I understand your reference.

But I don't think anyone is claiming that blog post was the Model 3 part 2 reveal. That part of your post confused me.

And it is possible that the New York solar panel factory could be expanded to include battery production. It's does seem clear that it will be producing a massive amount of solar cells.

Last edited:
@Sonny Daze I don't see where Elon stated that the October 2016 announcement of EAP and FSDC was a "Model 3 Part 2" reveal, but if you want to interpret events that way that is of course your privilege.

I think that Elon's tweet on Oct 19, 2017, stating "of course" is his way of saying that there will be an additional Model 3 reveal in the future. Which obviously there will be since at that point in time, and still as of today, almost no Model 3 details or specs or an option list have been released publicly. Elon was just pointing out that "of course" there will be another Model 3 reveal in the future because obviously so far Tesla has revealed very little about the car.