Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory: Building out vs up ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have an idea what the cost differences are (construction & operational) between the gigafactory having a large footprint with few floors (I believe it has 3 operational floors) vs building higher with a smaller footprint?

I don't have any exact numbers when it comes to building up vs out. But I can show that the Gigafactory is at its current height already quite tall and that if they build even higher the cost of digging a deeper foundation becomes very expensive due to reaching seriously tough bedrock. Additionally the earthquake zone makes buildings of considerable height a immense engineering challenge (swaying becomes a bigger issue). Also they are not lacking in terms of land to (Cheaply) build out on.

Heres a good photo of the Gigafactory height (before the Gigafactory footprint doubled to its current state)

unspecified.png

Lots of heavy equipment, and it takes a lot more energy to move stuff up than it does to push something along ground floor. The gigafactory intends to be carbon neutral, and if you're building up that's going to be a lot more energy wasted moving product and materials around. Also raw materials go in one side, and finished goods go out the opposite end. And last but not least, earthquakes.

This picture give you an idea of the foundations used for the Gigafactory.

To improve the rigidity, the floor plan don't have any hole, so all the ducks must go up in the ceiling.

You can watch the following Youtube recording if you want to know about some of the building requirement codes.

On the first video at 15:45 the speaker mentioned that it was the flattest floor built in the world.

it-is-built-to-sustain-earthquakes.jpg

Tesla Reno Tahoe Reno Industrial Center Dean Haymore from Story County Commission

Reno Tahoe Industrial Center Tesla Plant, Switch speech

Last edited: