Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory Drone Pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually if you listen to some of the FUDsters they characterized the initial grading of the site as "bulldozers doing circles in the desert for publicity", so this is obviously just cranes playing with an erector set in the desert for publicity as well.
No, this is Elon preparing for the video footage of his fake Mars landing / Mars colonization videos...
That's how he thinks! Misleading people interested in all three of his companies (because I'm sure there'll be solar panels on the roof, right?)

(and to limit the flaming... I am of course joking... this is an impressive amount of construction and those are awesome pics that @wk057 posted...)

Thanks WK. Looking forward to seeing the video. wow 20-30 mph. 15 18 is the limit for me. Too many trees here

IMG_1523.JPG

"I was battling a 20-30 MPH headwind heading from my launch spot towards the site"

Wow Nice work. Are you doing the wifi remote that came with the Quadcopter. I read somewhere it interfered with the GPS. All my flights have been video.

I actually have it set to do 1080p30 video while taking a still every 5 seconds automatically. I've used the WiFi remote without issue previously, but at super short range. I never use it anymore, though, and instead I just aim where I want a pic and wait 5 seconds.

Which day of the week were these gigafactory pic(s) taken? If not Sunday, any idea why the parking lot was nearly empty?

These were Saturday, 3/7/15 around 1PM Pacific time.

nice pics, hope you can get more later.

Probably not until later in the summer, unfortunately.

wk057 - Thanks for doing that. Great idea for a use of a drone.

I also appreciate the irony in you experiencing range anxiety with your electric aircraft while photographing a future battery factory. :)

I thought it was an interesting irony as well, since I've never really had range anxiety in the Model S. ;)

wk057 thanks for posting those awesome pictures. Can you say which way is north in those pics? In order to figure out which part of the Gigafactory they're starting with, locate it on a map and what way it is pointing and so on.

It's my assumption that they will build the rail links early on, so that, even though they only have the "pilot line" operational, they can still send battery packs to Fremont.

From the recent 10K filing: "We plan to use the battery packs manufactured at the Gigafactory for our vehicles, starting initially for Model S and Model X in 2016"

wk057 thanks for posting those awesome pictures. Can you say which way is north in those pics? In order to figure out which part of the Gigafactory they're starting with, locate it on a map and what way it is pointing and so on.

It's my assumption that they will build the rail links early on, so that, even though they only have the "pilot line" operational, they can still send battery packs to Fremont.

From the recent 10K filing: "We plan to use the battery packs manufactured at the Gigafactory for our vehicles, starting initially for Model S and Model X in 2016"

His drone was generally on the northish side of the building. You can tell orientation from the employee parking lot which is directly west of the factory. My guess is he parked his car at the Toys-R-Us Warehouse and took off from there from the north-west direction of the factory.

Hope those descriptions help!