Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory tour initial thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
So I just went on the gigafactory tour and am now waiting for Elon or whoever to give some remarks.

The outside (and inside for that matter) of the factory is under active construction 24x7. They were pouring foundation concrete here as we arrived at 5:30pm.

Various areas inside are still being built and in particular the battery cell process equipment is still being installed. We did see some of the massive ovens and giant racks that go on forever for cell curing. Panasonic was not surprisingly skittish about showing us too much so we did not get to see too much. Mostly it was different stations where an engineer gave a short talk about what the equipment did on a general level.

So, slurry mixing, rolling out slurry into metal substrate, oven, rolling, and then storage racks. Yeah, they missed a few steps and some important details

By the way, the guy who had that idea on seeking alpha that Panasonic wasn't going to have a large initial cell charging and do that step in the model 3 was wrong. I specifically asked a battery engineer about initial cell charging and he said that they do indeed have a large room for that just like in any other lithium ion cell factory.

I also asked him how often do new battery startups with the next great battery bug tesla about tesla using their technology. He said that it used to be that tesla had to hunt these companies down but now they come to tesla. Tesla initially asks to see real test data which knocks out the majority of these companies. He said that literally only two companies gave them cells to test and they didn't pan out. However they are continuing to test real cells of new companies. He said that tesla is keeping tabs on close to 70 battery companies. However, the new model 3 cells will be the latest Panasonic creation.

We then got to see the Tesla energy side of things. Three smallish lines. One was cell tray population and creation which was semi automated. Another line for making power packs and a third line for power walls. I gotta say, it didn't look like they were making tons of product.

I thought it interesting that they haven't yet installed any solar panels on the roof although that is still the plan.

Enough for now.

image.jpeg Another thing that struck me. This gigafactory party is pretty big. 2000 people supposedly. They built three giant elaborate air conditioned temporary tents with lots of sofas, food,free bar, live band Etc. While Tesla saves money by not spending money on advertising, they spend it big on their announcement parties.

Thanks for the summary! I saw a video that showed a scale model of the inside of the factory with robots and such. I was wondering if you got a chance to see it, and your impressions of that.

From the video it looked like mostly empty floor space, not at all along Elon's idea of a high density, high production rate facility.

So I just went on the gigafactory tour and am now waiting for Elon or whoever to give some remarks.

The outside (and inside for that matter) of the factory is under active construction 24x7. They were pouring foundation concrete here as we arrived at 5:30pm.

Various areas inside are still being built and in particular the battery cell process equipment is still being installed. We did see some of the massive ovens and giant racks that go on forever for cell curing. Panasonic was not surprisingly skittish about showing us too much so we did not get to see too much. Mostly it was different stations where an engineer gave a short talk about what the equipment did on a general level.

So, slurry mixing, rolling out slurry into metal substrate, oven, rolling, and then storage racks. Yeah, they missed a few steps and some important details

By the way, the guy who had that idea on seeking alpha that Panasonic wasn't going to have a large initial cell charging and do that step in the model 3 was wrong. I specifically asked a battery engineer about initial cell charging and he said that they do indeed have a large room for that just like in any other lithium ion cell factory.

I also asked him how often do new battery startups with the next great battery bug tesla about tesla using their technology. He said that it used to be that tesla had to hunt these companies down but now they come to tesla. Tesla initially asks to see real test data which knocks out the majority of these companies. He said that literally only two companies gave them cells to test and they didn't pan out. However they are continuing to test real cells of new companies. He said that tesla is keeping tabs on close to 70 battery companies. However, the new model 3 cells will be the latest Panasonic creation.

We then got to see the Tesla energy side of things. Three smallish lines. One was cell tray population and creation which was semi automated. Another line for making power packs and a third line for power walls. I gotta say, it didn't look like they were making tons of product.

I thought it interesting that they haven't yet installed any solar panels on the roof although that is still the plan.

Enough for now.

Thanks! Makes me wonder if this is was like to tour Ford's first factories back in their heyday.

Elon speaking. Giving rationale for building factory. Crowd is well served and rowdy. "Electric cars will work well on Mars", Elon actual quote, tongue in cheek.

Jb said they've been really working on figuring out how to stuff more machines into the factory.

Also the gigafactory has a bunch of novel purpose built machines and processes.

More from Elon:

Gigafactory 2 will produce both cars and batteries under one roof.

Will have battery pack recycle here
Majority costs of a battery is material cost so recycling will eventually reduce battery cost.

At least a gigafactory per continent eventually. Europe, Asia, etc.

Compact suv is next after model 3.

Compact bus on model X platform.

They might be waiting for solar panel production from the Buffalo NY Gigafactory to install them on the roof.

They'd be high efficiency and lower cost. By then the factory would be part of Tesla. So some cost savings.

Plus the Nevada Gigafactory will be a showpiece so the rooftop solar panels will get a lot of free publicity, likely more than any similar sized project in the world so that might as well go to a Tesla product.