Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory tour photos with Elon and Steve Jurvetson posted 3/5/15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For someone who knows; what are those studs or pins that are attached to the Q-Deck panels? How are they attached?

http://www.alleghenydesign.com/blog/what-is-q-deck-what-contractors-should-know.

The term “Q-Deck” has become synonymous with many different types of decking much like the term ‘Kleenex’ has come to be known for any type of tissue paper. The answer in this case though is a common misconception among contractors and engineers.

Instead of looking for Q-Deck, contractors should reference deck by it's more proper nomenclature. If there is no design document available, the contractor needs to know the specific function of the deck in addition to its required height and span before placing an order. To help them narrow down their choices though, here are the most common types of deck that are typically used in construction:

ROOF DECK:

Metal roof deck can be specified as either Type B or N

FORM DECK:

Form deck is used as a stay-in-place form system for elevated concrete floors.

COMPOSITE DECK:

Composite deck is used in conjunction with the strength of the concrete to develop a composite system.

I wasn't sure what Q-deck was so I googled it, leaving this here for others that might not know to save them the search.

It's a slow day at work...

TopGun.jpg

re scale, someone posted this on the teslamotors reddit page. each small rectangle is a football field.
8qFUEBG.png
That is mind blowing. Coorect me if I'm wrong, but for the runners out there that's just over 5 miles to run around the building....displace the track out from the building 400yds on each side and 1 giga lap is a 10k. 2 giga laps are a half marathon. Who's up for the 2015 TMC combined 10k/Half Marathon around the GigaFactory to raise an endowment to begin to retrain all the gas station attendants, jiffy Lube workers and car salesmen nationwide.....dust is probably bad - may have to wait for 2016.

That is mind blowing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the runners out there that's just over 5 miles to run around the building....displace the track out from the building 400yds on each side and 1 giga lap is a 10k. 2 giga laps are a half marathon. Who's up for the 2015 TMC combined 10k/Half Marathon around the GigaFactory to raise an endowment to begin to retrain all the gas station attendants, jiffy Lube workers and car salesmen nationwide.....dust is probably bad - may have to wait for 2016.

Was that length 15120 feet? That'd be 2.86364 miles long.

That's too big. The combined area of both floors should be about that much. Reduce the area by half, and it will be good.

assume the width stays the same and we cut the length in half and we get 7560 feet or 1.43182 miles long and still a multimile run around the building.

YESS! Thank you! Every time I hera people talk about the street "Electric Avenue" next to the GF I can't get the chorus of that song out of my head.

And everyone, thanks for the T2 refernces, photoshop, i had the biggest laugh... I only found this thread today, but I swear that was my first thought when i saw the pictures a few days ago. LOL. Good to know there are crazies like me out there. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That is mind blowing. Coorect me if I'm wrong, but for the runners out there that's just over 5 miles to run around the building....displace the track out from the building 400yds on each side and 1 giga lap is a 10k. 2 giga laps are a half marathon. Who's up for the 2015 TMC combined 10k/Half Marathon around the GigaFactory to raise an endowment to begin to retrain all the gas station attendants, jiffy Lube workers and car salesmen nationwide.....dust is probably bad - may have to wait for 2016.

To give an idea of the scale, I compared it to Apple Campus 2 and other massive structures:

Apple Campus 2 size comparison.jpg