TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gigafactory workers protest, walk off the job

Discussion in 'News' started by yobigd20, Feb 29, 2016.

1. MassModel3

MassModel3 Member

I understand where the grievances are coming from, but there's enough work to be done that it seems a little whiny to complain that all construction workers aren't from Nevada. This sounds like it's just unions trying to bully the Tesla contractors because that's what unions do.

2. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I agree... this is non-news. These are just union jurisdictional battles, which are about as rare and unexpected as warts on a toad.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I remember that it was a carpenter's local that was protesting against Tesla in CA.

4. davidc18

davidc18 Member

I think part of the dispute is that Tesla's agreement with Nevada promised X number of new jobs to Nevada and they have failed to meet this requirement.

5. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

This involves construction workers (carpenters) of a subcontractor who are protesting out of state workers. Tesla has requirements for a certain percentage of Nevada workers and these are being met.
    This is a union squabble (this subcontractor is non-union).
    Nothing to see here...

6. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Reminds me of why I don't like unions. (As if I needed a reminder)...

7. cman8

cman8 Member

Sounds like it has nothing to do with tesla and more to do with the Subs.

8. pmadflyer

pmadflyer Member

Toads don't have warts...

9. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Unions taking a last minute day off on a Monday, delayed the transport of my new 2016 Model S, meaning I did not get it in time (by 1 day) for a 2,500 mile road trip. That autopilot would have been REALLY nice.

10. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

I lived in Detroit and saw the Unions dragging down the US automakers until they failed, and everybody ended up out of work.

Now I see them taking their pound of flesh out of Tesla.

Unions do a lot of good when they are working along side management and being productive, however when they they pull this obstruction crap they damage the very people that employ them.

Heard a quote that "Unions love jobs, but hate employers".

Then the employeer is successful there is more work for everybody.

11. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

Could they just hire non union employees who are grateful to have a job?

12. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

#13 GoTslaGo, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    There is a requirement for a certain minimum of workers be from Nevada I believe it is at least 50%. Tesla states they have over 75% Nevada residents employed. One company (Brycon) which constitutes approximately 60 workers out of 400 uses more out of state (allegedly non-union) workers from NM and AZ. Brycon worker profile according to the articles is 50% NV residents, 50% non NV residents.

I do not know if there is an additional requirement for union vs. non-union workers.

Based on the numbers Tesla is in compliance with NV rules, assuming most of the other 340 workers are from NV.

A lot of the unions here in NV will protest any moderate to large construction site if there is one non-union worker present. Even if it is sub of a sub of a sub.... You see them hanging out with a large banner exclaming "Shame on XYZ for using non-union workers...." That being said, the unions do provide a greater level of job security and income for their members here. The controversies are always nuanced.

13. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I stand corrected.... structures on the skin of a toad that have somewhat the same appearance as a wart. :)

14. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

If Union management was soooooo good, they would start companies and have their own Union problems :)

15. Festerfeet

Festerfeet Member

Tesla's own fault...they should ditch aluminium and build their cars out of wood!:confused:

16. dailydriver

dailydriver Member

That is the crux of the issue. Well stated.

17. Owner

Owner Active Member

This doesn't seem to be the same case. The other one was only 2 people in Palo Alto (probably paid to stand there) with the grim reaper sign.

This was a walkout of 350 people according to one of those sources.

18. EMP40

EMP40 Member

So the Union workers walked off the job because 30 workers out of 400 were not from NV; 7.5%; ridiculous.

19. HookBill

HookBill Member

A couple of years ago the company my wife worked for had banner holders standing on street corners advertising the union's complaints. When someone walked up to them and asked what the complaints were, the people holding the banner could not explain them. All they said was they were paid to stand on the corner and hold the sign. They weren't even union employees.