Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory workers protest, walk off the job

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand where the grievances are coming from, but there's enough work to be done that it seems a little whiny to complain that all construction workers aren't from Nevada. This sounds like it's just unions trying to bully the Tesla contractors because that's what unions do.

I understand where the grievances are coming from, but there's enough work to be done that it seems a little whiny to complain that all construction workers aren't from Nevada. This sounds like it's just unions trying to bully the Tesla contractors because that's what unions do.

I agree... this is non-news. These are just union jurisdictional battles, which are about as rare and unexpected as warts on a toad.

I remember that it was a carpenter's local that was protesting against Tesla in CA.

This involves construction workers (carpenters) of a subcontractor who are protesting out of state workers. Tesla has requirements for a certain percentage of Nevada workers and these are being met.
This is a union squabble (this subcontractor is non-union).
Nothing to see here...

I lived in Detroit and saw the Unions dragging down the US automakers until they failed, and everybody ended up out of work.

Now I see them taking their pound of flesh out of Tesla.

Unions do a lot of good when they are working along side management and being productive, however when they they pull this obstruction crap they damage the very people that employ them.

Heard a quote that "Unions love jobs, but hate employers".

Then the employeer is successful there is more work for everybody.

There is a requirement for a certain minimum of workers be from Nevada I believe it is at least 50%. Tesla states they have over 75% Nevada residents employed. One company (Brycon) which constitutes approximately 60 workers out of 400 uses more out of state (allegedly non-union) workers from NM and AZ. Brycon worker profile according to the articles is 50% NV residents, 50% non NV residents.

I do not know if there is an additional requirement for union vs. non-union workers.

Based on the numbers Tesla is in compliance with NV rules, assuming most of the other 340 workers are from NV.

A lot of the unions here in NV will protest any moderate to large construction site if there is one non-union worker present. Even if it is sub of a sub of a sub.... You see them hanging out with a large banner exclaming "Shame on XYZ for using non-union workers...." That being said, the unions do provide a greater level of job security and income for their members here. The controversies are always nuanced.

Last edited:
There is a requirement for a certain minimum of workers be from Nevada I believe it is at least 50%. Tesla states they have over 75% Nevada residents employed. One company (Brycon) which constitutes approximately 60 workers out of 400 uses more out of state (allegedly non-union) workers from NM and AZ. Brycon worker profile according to the articles is 50% NV residents, 50% non NV residents.

I do not know if there is an additional requirement for union vs. non-union workers.

Based on the numbers Tesla is in compliance with NV rules, assuming most of the other 340 workers are from NV.

A lot of the unions here in NV will protest any moderate to large construction site if there is one non-union worker present. Even if it is sub of a sub of a sub.... You see them hanging out with a large banner exclaming "Shame on XYZ for using non-union workers...." That being said, the unions do provide a greater level of job security and income for their members here. The controversies are always nuanced.

That is the crux of the issue. Well stated.

A couple of years ago the company my wife worked for had banner holders standing on street corners advertising the union's complaints. When someone walked up to them and asked what the complaints were, the people holding the banner could not explain them. All they said was they were paid to stand on the corner and hold the sign. They weren't even union employees.