Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GigaFest Austin, April 1,... make that April 7, whats happening.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm watching the Now you Know youtube channel -- they're doing a live cast, but from their studio, not Giga.
It's pretty good because they're consolidating pics and short videos as people post them online.
They're the only channel (right now) going live.
I doubt all the youtubers on the ground are going to be able to get a live stream out since the reception is so poor.
I was sucked into their hype and was really disappointed in what they did and didn't do. 90% of it was the two of them talking with a scattering of still pictures. So I jumped to several individuals like Tesla Raj and Dirty Tesla, Rob Mauer etc and they all were streaming although the streams were in and out of watchable quality. For the main event, The Tesla official channel was really great quality, 4K all the way through. Some of the independents were recording the plant walk through for later upload which should be much better quality than the camera phone streamings.
Cyber Rodeo was the most high tech presentation I have ever seen including the Ones at Disney World. I was so proud to be a stock holder and believe I had a better view of everything from home.

Reactions: CyberGus
I was sucked into their hype and was really disappointed in what they did and didn't do. 90% of it was the two of them talking with a scattering of still pictures. So I jumped to several individuals like Tesla Raj and Dirty Tesla, Rob Mauer etc and they all were streaming although the streams were in and out of watchable quality.

Agreed. TeslaRaj went dark after 20 minutes and had one followup short. I didn't find any others that were watchable. While the NowYouKnow banter surely was mind numbing, they had other people scouring the net for other pics, info, and video clips from all other sources, so I didn't have to. I was willing to trade their banter for being lazy just waiting around for the main event. That's all.

edit: I didn't find the actual presentation by Elon noteworthy, in content or technical production. It was rather boring and content-free. The rest of the campus OTOH, looked awesome.

The main event didn't include much in the way of new info details and I didn't expect it. The technical production was ( IMO) awesome. You must have missed it. Did you see the drone show making figures in the sky? The laser projection all in time to the music. I don't know of any other company that puts on a show like that but I understand how some people would be disappointed if they expected to hear a technical discussion. This was not AI day or battery day and certainly not a financial report which you will get on April 20th.

Unless you had some insider info we did learn from Elon that the Roadster will be in production along with Cybertruck next year.in Austin. We didn't know about the Roadster so that was noteworthy. Also he announced FSD beta will be in general release later this year. Robotaxi will be slated for a special production EV. How about his aspiration to show a robot prototype later this year a a version 1 production model next year. The other announcements we pretty much heard before. No details but he said there would be no details.

BTW- I follow Joe Tegmeyer and Jeff Roberts drone documentaries daily so their documentation on the progress is impressive. They share every other day and offer a different presentation style.

Unless you had some insider info we did learn from Elon that the Roadster will be in production along with Cybertruck next year.in Austin. We didn't know about the Roadster so that was noteworthy. Also he announced FSD beta will be in general release later this year. Robotaxi will be slated for a special production EV. How about his aspiration to show a robot prototype later this year a a version 1 production model next year. The other announcements we pretty much heard before. No details but he said there would be no details.

"Elon Time"

Just because he says something will be "next year" usually means two or three. CT might be out next year, but I highly doubt Roadster will be. Same for Optimus. NOT.GONNA.HAPPEN.

Robotaxi will be slated for a special production EV.

This is a freaking joke. This is in line behind everything else, and he just said it for the lulz.

I'm well aware of Elon Time, but compared to all the negative nannies on social media and those who try and fail making money on betting against Elon, I pay attention to what he says and look for most of it to eventually happen. Some things just take longer. When it happens the negative nannies will just go silent. I have done well betting with Elon rather than against him. Since you are still driving a 2014 Tesla, I'm sure you do as well. Your negative can'ts don't fool me. You're no Gordon Johnson. :)

Some things just take longer.

Sure do. Elon has been promising FSD since 2017.

If he still can't get FSD out of L2 autonomy in 2022, how in the heck is he going to get a fully autonomous humanoid robot out in two years?

And the futuristic Robotaxi EV? That will just never happen. Nobody ever looks at the demand side of robotaxis/ridesharing. Nobody.

And the futuristic Robotaxi EV? That will just never happen. Nobody ever looks at the demand side of robotaxis/ridesharing. Nobody.

"Never" is a strong word, and I disagree with you 1000%. Robotaxi's will be a reality in the future, at this point it's squarely a matter of WHEN, not IF. The economics of Transportation As A Service alone will make it immensely huge and profitable.

I usually agree with you, but Lyft and Uber?

Uber and Lyft weren't profitable for several years. Lyft wasn't profitable until 2021. It took them both a long time and a lot of external funding before generating operating profits.

Not to mention all the taxis that will certainly be replaced.

Why replaced? If robotaxis become a thing (which might a very long time from now) it won't reach any critical mass acceptance for many years after that. And that's assuming the regulatory landscape changes significantly between now and then. It's a long, long road -- after the technology works.

Take away the cost of the driver, it really starts to make sense.

Do you think all these taxi and rideshare drivers are going to just disappear without a fight just because robotaxis hit the streets? NFW. It's going to be a blood bath on both sides with no clear winners. In B-school it was drilled into our heads that in efficient markets with enough competitors, eventually marginal cost==marginal revenue. If you "remove the driver" the "driver" will find cheaper ways to compete, driving down profits of all players to the point MC=MR.

"FSD" I bought it for two reasons- one what Tesla said it offered was exactly what I was looking for. I have that now. Happy camper! I don't agree with what may believe it should be for their money. I went by the bulleted list of added features. I also have FSD beta and it adds to that the off highway FSD and NOA and it works extremely well. FYI- FSD never promised Robotaxi and I don't expect that for what I paid. It never promised Level 3 autonomy, much less Level 5. These opinions have been falsely pushed in social media and amplified by the media.

The second reason was the promise of free hardware upgrades should they become necessary to achieve the bulleted list for FSD. I also received one free upgrade of the computer already. I don't know if more will be coming.

Whether you agree with the names Tesla calls things is a different debate. I don't care what they call it because I go by what it does.

If he still can't get FSD out of L2 autonomy in 2022, how in the heck is he going to get a fully autonomous humanoid robot out in two years?
I don't see one related to the other. But sticking to the FSD topic, Personally, I am very happy with it now for Highway long trips and on country roads and the transition. I only6 test on city streets and even if they get it 100% in the city, I'm not keen on using it just to drive to the store. I don't care to lose my driving skills. Besides, the biggest problem I see is having to negotiate bad drivers violate traffic laws. I'm always having to take over when another driver does stupid stuff. at least 30% of my aborts on testing FSD beta are triggered by bad drivers and clueless pedestrians. Left alone FSD beta could be Level 3 today with about 98% accuracy.

And in fact 96% of my retirement depends on the stock price.
My hats off to you my friend! I just hit 80% so I do understand. But when he said "funding secured" and I knew he was lying, I sold out at $387 and got back in several months later when he settled with the SEC. I'm a fan of what Elon has accomplished, but not a fanboy. I just recognize that to achieve the impossible you have to want to do it and believe you can. I don't bet on people who claim they can't.