TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gilroy Supercharger Location Details

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by Owner, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Owner

Owner Active Member

Cross posted from my blog.

Last week I took my first visit to a Tesla supercharger. My battery was about half full. I did not particularly need to visit the charger but decided to give it a try. I stopped, filled it up and had lunch at the nearby sandwich shop. The supercharger is not particularly obvious to find.
    The Gilroy Premium Outlets have four separate strip mall areas and seas of parking. The listed address on the Tesla web page is 101 at Leavesley Road.
    gilroyaddress.jpg
    If you click through the link, you'll end up in the middle of one of the mall's parking lots.

satelitevies.jpg

After looking around for a minute or two, I decided to call Tesla at their convenient 800 number to get pointed in the right direction quickly.

I think of the superchargers on San Ysidro not in the mall itself.

Travel north on San Ysidro Avenue and make a right into the parking lot. The chargers are right behind the bus stop.

Untitled 2.jpg

The Tesla supercharger is not screamingly obvious. I was sort of expecting a large sign of some kind given it is coming out of their marketing budget. The person on the phone indicated that more signage might be coming but that the first priority was getting the charger stations installed. It is right in-between the Sony store to the North, and the Gilroy Inn to the south.

north.jpg southgilroy.jpg

When I arrived the middle of a Friday, no one else was at the superchargers. When I left, another car was at the Tesla supercharger, and a BMW retrofit was at the nearby generic public charging station.
    Just in case you are curious what the name “San Ysidro” comes from, he was the Catholic patron saint of animals and of Madrid. The name Isidore has Greek origins.

2. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

My educated guess ... the map got brodered* to make you drive around in circles for a bit?

* Hacked.

3. strider

strider Active Member

No, Tesla needs to add details to its Supercharger page. It only lists the address which as the OP said in this case is the address of the outlet mall which is NOT small. I made 3 loops through the parking lot before I found the station (it was dark). Tesla could simply add "Behind the Sony(TM) store" after the address on their website. Would save people a lot of time and stress.

4. Owner

Owner Active Member

I agree but there is a bit of a challenge here. I played around with different addresses on San Ysidro that would be closer to the actual location, but failed to come up with anything on the mapping system. The car does give a San Ysidro address when charging there, but it is actually across the street.

Would be nice if the supercharger has a physical address.

Also, I agree Tesla does need to add details to the Supercharger pages. More detail would make it easier. Just the Sony store didn't help me much as it isn't that obvious either. Or a gigantic freeway visible sign! Some real marketing!

My blog page will hopefully help a few folks in the meantime. The outlet mall is gigantic, spread out over four areas I think with other strip malls nearby.

5. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Google Maps on my computer knows the exact location. Just search for "Tesla Supercharger Gilroy". Since the car also has Google Maps, it presumably gives the same precise location.

6. Owner

Owner Active Member

That's where I did get the final screenshot of the map. But I went first through the Tesla site as I was expecting more detailed info there first. So when I went to Gilroy, I ended up in the middle of that strip mall going "huh?"

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Recargo is very accurate also with excellent photos.

8. allanb4me

allanb4me Member

but superchargers are to be powered by solar no?
    Where are solar panels there? correct me pls :)

9. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Solar installations coming. Not all sites have them yet. That's fine with me, don't want them held up because the panels aren't installed yet.

10. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

In some locations; in others, Tesla will likely have solar panels somewhere else to offset the power used at the Superchargers.

11. Tyl

Tyl Member

#11 Tyl, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    Gilroy CA. It's just never busy when I've been there !! You can see that there is still no wall around the superchargers. While at the plant I was told Gilroy may go to twelve stalls. In my opinion they need to upgrade the oldest of stall pedestals. As it has been mentioned elsewhere.. BE CAREFUL WHEN HANGING THE CHARGING CABLE UP! IT FALLS OUT EASILY FROM THE OLDEST FOUR STALLS AND WILL WACK YOUR CAR MARKING IT AND DENTING IT IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL!!!
    IMG_9189.jpg IMG_9190.jpg IMG_9191.jpg IMG_9197.jpg

Attached Files:

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Gilroy really needs some lighting at night. After 10:30p or so it's completely dark, including the pedestals. Great place to get mugged. :(

13. Owner

Owner Active Member

Nah... by a frustrated outlet mall shopper?

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

By Tesla haters. By random evil person. Who knows. Lights generally make a place safer, or at least feel safer.

15. Owner

Owner Active Member

When a mountain lion randomly kills a runner or hiker in the hills every few years, I always think that there may be an odd animal out there with a mental illness.

I'm just very low on the worry scale. just keep my eyes open.

gilroy is the far edge of silicon valley, so i doubt you'll find any Tesla haters.

16. Tyl

Tyl Member

Gilroy's supercharging site is still incomplete. The superchargers and Distribution cabinets DO NOT HAVE their surrounding wood or cinderblock wall. The site needs some appearance attention. All the supercharging pedestals should be the new style to bring credit to it as a Tesla supercharging site and to TESLA as a company! The parking signage poles for the new six stalls have all been hit and are bent to one degree or another. It just looks unkept; non uniform and NOT A SUPERCHARGING SITE REFLECTIVE OF THE CORPORATE IMAGE OF TESLAMOTORS!!! It has been six months in it's current state. This site is in TESLAMOTORS back yard. The first site many people see.

"No!!!..." No... this appearance just isn't working for me.

This site just has to be finished and upgraded.

17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Okay, I get it. Please stop yelling.

I've used Gilroy SC many times. Never had a problem. Everything works. Yes it could look better.

19. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

Gilroy 01.jpg Gilroy 02.jpg Gilroy 4.jpg

It looks like construction has resumed. The right most 4 older SC stations are being replaced. Workers were trenching and assembling new SC stations.
    Meanwhile the remaining 6 stations are getting a work out. All 6 were full as I was completing my charge.

20. iffatall

iffatall Member

Wow... did Tesla just do it to calm Tyl down?