Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ginetta G50 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
A UK low volume sports car maker turns their hand to EVs using the Zytek drivetrain:

Ginetta - Ginetta G50 EV

ElecCar.jpg

Ginetta enter the low carbon vehicle arena for the first time with their Ginetta G50 Electric Vehicle. Using 100% electric power, this two-seater sports car is capable of 120 mph and has a range of 250 miles on a full charge.

It’s three batteries and motor deliver power directly to the rear wheels maintaining the ‘fun factor’ of the petrol-powered equivalent.

The drivetrain installed in the G50 electric vehicle utilises state of the art brushless DC motor technology that is designed and manufactured in house by Zytek. The award winning innovative drivetrain design integrates the electric motor, power and control electronics, into one compact assembly with only three connections:
water, High voltage(300V) and low voltage (12v).

Last edited:
Is this any more real than Lightning GT?
250 mile range, hmm... press releases are cheap.

I'd say for current state of technology, Tesla shows where the limits are. Anyone claming to have better range should show some official EPA numbers before we can take them seriously.

Here's the link to the ABG post on the G50 EV.

Is this any more real than Lightning GT?
250 mile range, hmm... press releases are cheap.

I'd say for current state of technology, Tesla shows where the limits are. Anyone claming to have better range should show some official EPA numbers before we can take them seriously.

The thing about it is that they haven't issued a press release but regardless of that, I would say it is at least as real as the Lightning GT if only because Ginetta Cars already builds and sells cars. Low volumes perhaps, but production nonetheless.

As to the 250 mile range, I suspect that's overly optimistic but I haven't been able to find out anything about their battery chemistry or size. I do know Zytek used RaceTech Harnessing for some of the work.

It does look pretty sweet though, no?

_DSC007523small.jpg

bbelectric50.jpg

bbprototype2.jpg

Last edited:
Report: Ginetta G50 EV stalled due to lack of funds - Autoblog Green

Ginetta Cars, a small British automaker that's been building racing and road cars since 1958, would like to build an electric car. Unfortunately, it can't due to a lack of money. Ginetta had requested £1.7million in funding from the UK government, but the request was denied because the project was deemed "too niche."

Yeah, we're going to create loads of green jobs...