Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor GiroDisc 370mm Rotors for GM Brembo 6-Pot Calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
girodisc-370mm.jpg

It takes a village to raise a kit. This one is TMC's very own. @Lukez pioneered the 6-piston CTS-V DIY for the Model S. Then @jesse_le prototyped a rotor with GiroDisc for the Model 3 and Y. These full-floating slotted GiroDisc rotors for the Model 3 and Y come in at 370mm x 34mm. This mirrors the rotor size on the Cadillac CTS-V, Corvette C7 Z06, and other GM performance vehicles allowing fitment of massive GM 6-piston Brembos. For comparison, the OEM Model 3 Performance 2-piece rotor measures in at 355mm x 25mm while the OEM 1-piece "Base" Rotor measures a paltry 320mm x 25mm.

The GiroDisc rotors differentiate themselves from other manufacturers with U.S. sourced iron and beautifully anodized U.S.-sourced 6061-T6 aluminum rotor hats. The hat is also 4mm thicker than OEM which helps clear the unique stepped hub of the Model 3 Performance and obfuscates the need for small wheel spacers. The GiroDisc is also a true 2-piece rotor allowing you to replace the rings without need to replace the hats.

OEM GM Brembo 6-piston Calipers​

The GiroDisc rotors allow you to mount OEM GM Brembos from a number of GM performance vehicles including the ATS-V, CTS-V, and C7 Corvette Z06. These are lightweight 6-piston monoblock aluminum calipers that are optimized for cooling, specified as "low drag", and are designed to fit under 18" wheels. They mount up to the OEM Tesla front knuckle by either drilling out your caliper mounting holes to accept M14 caliper bolts or re-threading the caliper to accept the OEM Tesla M12 hardware. The latter allows you to return the vehicle completely to stock.

viy-bbk-2.jpg

Another benefit of the GM 6-piston Brembos is a wide assortment of available brake pads. If you have ever searched for brake pads for the stock Model 3 Performance calipers you know that the selection for this seemingly proprietary caliper can be somewhat limited. The GM calipers feature a standard FMSI D1405 pad shape which opens up pad options from $64 Centric OE replacement street pads up to $700+ Ferodo DSUNO race pads.

Ordering​

As these are a relatively new offering, GiroDisc requires a minimum of 5 rotor pairs to make a production batch. Pricing is $1,200 per pair with free shipping to the continental U.S. There is an approximate 4 to 6 week lead time from the batch order for fulfillment. There is already some interest in the next batch and my hope is that the demand is strong enough for these to become regular stock at Emotive Engineering.

... and introducing... The EmotiVetted GM 6-Pot Bolt-on BBK​

giro370vettebbk.jpg

This is a full bolt-on affair which allows you to reuse your factory caliper mounting bolts (brake dust shield removal required).

Street Kit - $2,649
  • CTS-V Calipers - Silver (or optional Yellow) - re-threaded to accept factory Tesla caliper bolts
  • GiroDisc 370mm 2-Piece Rotors
  • DBA SP500 Street Performance Pads - copper-free ceramic pads, low-noise, and low-dust. Everything an OE+ street pad should be.
  • Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
  • OE GM Caliper Hardware
Track Kit - $2,899
  • C7 Corvette Z06 Calipers - Red - re-threaded to accept factory Tesla caliper bolts
  • GiroDisc 370mm 2-Piece Rotors
  • G-LOC R12 Track Pads - amazing pedal modulation, rotor friendly, at the expense of some noise and dust.
  • Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
  • OE GM Caliper Hardware

Not ready to go full on BBK? Emotive Engineering is an authorized GiroDisc dealer offering a full line of OE-replacement 2-piece rotors for your Tesla Model 3 or Y.

Last edited:
Another vote for stock-length brake lines being a bit too short. I tried them with the brace in the factory bolt hole in the knuckle, and felt it would stress the upper joint too much at full compression with the tire turned inward.

Circled in green is my current solution. I will eventually replace these zip ties with some bailing wire or something as a slightly more permanent solution, but I think this positioning gives a bit more flexibility in the line by reducing the total length requirement by probably 30-35mm.

Circled in orange is another possible option. One could space the mount away from the inner fender to shorten the required reach, and even bend the hardline out some to reduce the required bend in the line.

9F8246BC-33F8-42A5-BF25-A145DAB56328.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: drpheta
Another vote for stock-length brake lines being a bit too short. I tried them with the brace in the factory bolt hole in the knuckle, and felt it would stress the upper joint too much at full compression with the tire turned inward.

Circled in green is my current solution. I will eventually replace these zip ties with some bailing wire or something as a slightly more permanent solution, but I think this positioning gives a bit more flexibility in the line by reducing the total length requirement by probably 30-35mm.

Circled in orange is another possible option. One could space the mount away from the inner fender to shorten the required reach, and even bend the hardline out some to reduce the required bend in the line.

View attachment 846172
I might switch my zip tie to your solution. Less jiggling of the lines this way.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I’m looking for someone’s experience with disassembling the CTS calipers for powder coat and the reassembly. Specifically if you were able to disassemble without damage to the seals or if you replaced, what P/N was used as a seal kit?

I’m looking for someone’s experience with disassembling the CTS calipers for powder coat and the reassembly. Specifically if you were able to disassemble without damage to the seals or if you replaced, what P/N was used as a seal kit?

If they're used calipers go ahead and replace the seals. If they're new, you should be able to remove them without damaging.

Reactions: Snelson3
It will all depend on whether the calipers are new or used. If they are used I would opt to replace the seals and dust boots. If they are new you should be able to get everything out without damage. Just be careful when getting the pressure seals out as to not scratch the piston walls or cut the seals.

Reactions: Snelson3
It will all depend on whether the calipers are new or used. If they are used I would opt to replace the seals and dust boots. If they are new you should be able to get everything out without damage. Just be careful when getting the pressure seals out as to not scratch the piston walls or cut the seals.
They’re brand new. But I’ve just found a decent local place that does a lot of work with BMWs and will prep and wet paint with decals and a clear coat for $450 without the need to disassemble. Best I’ve found so far and certainly easier than disassembling.

Now I just need those rotors…

• Love
Reactions: emotiveeng
They’re brand new. But I’ve just found a decent local place that does a lot of work with BMWs and will prep and wet paint with decals and a clear coat for $450 without the need to disassemble. Best I’ve found so far and certainly easier than disassembling.

Now I just need those rotors…
They're powder coating without removing the seals? Or are they just painting them?

Wet paint, not powder. My understanding of the process is:
- Masking
- Surface Prep (Media blast? Not sure on this one)
- Primer -> Color -> Decals -> Clear -> Ceramic coat

They’re a pretty reputable shop in the BMW world, I found them via a different forum.
Yeah, painting is different than PC so it's doable. I would still remove them though, it just takes a few minutes.

Better to spend an extra 15 minutes and do it right the first time.