Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor GiroDisc 370mm Rotors for GM Brembo 6-Pot Calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
girodisc-370mm.jpg

It takes a village to raise a kit. This one is TMC's very own. @Lukez pioneered the 6-piston CTS-V DIY for the Model S. Then @jesse_le prototyped a rotor with GiroDisc for the Model 3 and Y. These full-floating slotted GiroDisc rotors for the Model 3 and Y come in at 370mm x 34mm. This mirrors the rotor size on the Cadillac CTS-V, Corvette C7 Z06, and other GM performance vehicles allowing fitment of massive GM 6-piston Brembos. For comparison, the OEM Model 3 Performance 2-piece rotor measures in at 355mm x 25mm while the OEM 1-piece "Base" Rotor measures a paltry 320mm x 25mm.

The GiroDisc rotors differentiate themselves from other manufacturers with U.S. sourced iron and beautifully anodized U.S.-sourced 6061-T6 aluminum rotor hats. The hat is also 4mm thicker than OEM which helps clear the unique stepped hub of the Model 3 Performance and obfuscates the need for small wheel spacers. The GiroDisc is also a true 2-piece rotor allowing you to replace the rings without need to replace the hats.

OEM GM Brembo 6-piston Calipers​

The GiroDisc rotors allow you to mount OEM GM Brembos from a number of GM performance vehicles including the ATS-V, CTS-V, and C7 Corvette Z06. These are lightweight 6-piston monoblock aluminum calipers that are optimized for cooling, specified as "low drag", and are designed to fit under 18" wheels. They mount up to the OEM Tesla front knuckle by either drilling out your caliper mounting holes to accept M14 caliper bolts or re-threading the caliper to accept the OEM Tesla M12 hardware. The latter allows you to return the vehicle completely to stock.

viy-bbk-2.jpg

Another benefit of the GM 6-piston Brembos is a wide assortment of available brake pads. If you have ever searched for brake pads for the stock Model 3 Performance calipers you know that the selection for this seemingly proprietary caliper can be somewhat limited. The GM calipers feature a standard FMSI D1405 pad shape which opens up pad options from $64 Centric OE replacement street pads up to $700+ Ferodo DSUNO race pads.

Ordering​

As these are a relatively new offering, GiroDisc requires a minimum of 5 rotor pairs to make a production batch. Pricing is $1,200 per pair with free shipping to the continental U.S. There is an approximate 4 to 6 week lead time from the batch order for fulfillment. There is already some interest in the next batch and my hope is that the demand is strong enough for these to become regular stock at Emotive Engineering.

... and introducing... The EmotiVetted GM 6-Pot Bolt-on BBK​

giro370vettebbk.jpg

This is a full bolt-on affair which allows you to reuse your factory caliper mounting bolts (brake dust shield removal required).

Street Kit - $2,649
  • CTS-V Calipers - Silver (or optional Yellow) - re-threaded to accept factory Tesla caliper bolts
  • GiroDisc 370mm 2-Piece Rotors
  • DBA SP500 Street Performance Pads - copper-free ceramic pads, low-noise, and low-dust. Everything an OE+ street pad should be.
  • Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
  • OE GM Caliper Hardware
Track Kit - $2,899
  • C7 Corvette Z06 Calipers - Red - re-threaded to accept factory Tesla caliper bolts
  • G-LOC R12 Track Pads - amazing pedal modulation, rotor friendly, at the expense of some noise and dust.
  • Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
  • OE GM Caliper Hardware

Not ready to go full on BBK? Emotive Engineering is an authorized GiroDisc dealer offering a full line of OE-replacement 2-piece rotors for your Tesla Model 3 or Y.

Last edited:
For anyone considering doing this by purchasing the CTS calipers and has decided to modify the threaded holes in the calipers to accept the Tesla M12 X 1.75 bolts (so that you can go back to OG), I thought I would document the process of adding time-serts since I just did it.

(Disclaimer: I’m not any kind of mechanic but I have worked as an engineer in a machine shop before so some of this isn’t foreign to me, just trying to help the community. Not financial advice.)

First the things I needed:
- Drill (Press would be better)
- Vice from 1960’s (Or better)
- Time-Sert Kit for M12x1.75 (~$120 on their website when this was posted)
- 4 time-sert inserts (5 came with the kit I ordered)
- Tap Handle
- Cutting Fluid (oil)
- Beer (Optional)
- About 1 hour of time

8B84777A-88C9-4CE6-A94E-1D256479BD76.jpeg

Next, after working up the guts to do it:

- Drill out the existing threads from the mating surface side. Note: The tap drill does not completely remove the prior threads as shown below. Try to get a good grip on the caliper body without screwing it up. Also, try to keep perpendicular….not easy without a drill press and a better vice.

1A27D2ED-BAFE-459D-B140-5DAA6C4687C3.jpeg
EE9F2A5B-BEBF-450F-A0E4-9A78334790E9.jpeg

Then, add the counterbore. Pretty straightforward, just don’t push too hard and let the tool do the work. I also used tap fluid to lubricate the tool.

1850AFC7-30A4-492D-85FB-796CDB0D0196.jpeg

After cleaning all the chips out of there, get the tap and the tap handle and tap the hole. Best advice I have is go slow, keep the thing straight, use tap fluid, and back it out 1-2 turns every 3-4 turns in. The aluminum is soft and will cut threads easily.

07853E0F-010C-4C44-AD6D-D7BA3B7708CF.jpeg0DA41B44-F04B-485E-91AE-CB1B5075C4B6.jpeg

Finally, load up the insert tool (?) with the insert, again lube the tool so it comes off the insert and just thread it in. After a bunch of threading the insert will seat down into the counterbore and then expand the bottom few threads so it sticks in there. Once that happens back it out, clean it up, and you’re done.

493BEC69-4CD9-4EE5-A207-D18D1D795ADC.jpeg96ECEE32-A029-4145-A9E0-A7CFD3109024.jpeg

Hope that helps someone. It wasn’t too bad.

Thought I’d add to the knowledge gained on this thread. Thanks to @jesse_le for the Spiegler brake line info. I went with his suggestions, (711 fitting to 029 and 711 to 039) except I decided to go with 610 mm length. Cost was $145.93 and it was to my door in 2 days. I also reused the stock hose clamp, just removed and placed on the new lines. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• C2C3E4E1-0671-4D03-8CC9-8E81ED4E6F12.jpeg
    C2C3E4E1-0671-4D03-8CC9-8E81ED4E6F12.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 132
  • FE047DA7-2E4C-486F-828F-F2E6AED00104.jpeg
    FE047DA7-2E4C-486F-828F-F2E6AED00104.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 3774910B-688A-437F-A16B-8D6BEA5C6F67.jpeg
    3774910B-688A-437F-A16B-8D6BEA5C6F67.jpeg
    447.7 KB · Views: 141
Thought I’d add to the knowledge gained on this thread. Thanks to @jesse_le for the Spiegler brake line info. I went with his suggestions, (711 fitting to 029 and 711 to 039) except I decided to go with 610 mm length. Cost was $145.93 and it was to my door in 2 days. I also reused the stock hose clamp, just removed and placed on the new lines. Hope this helps.
Thanks for this info. I couldn’t get the configuration online to work but I got a hold of a guy named Brian there who was super helpful. These fittings are only available in stainless so if someone else is trying online, choose stainless.

Otherwise same price and same or next day turnaround.

Ok big brain time, I need some help: What is the difference between left and right calipers and how can one tell without the car?

Reason I ask: I might have made a n00b mistake and received two of the same and didn't think to validate until the painter called me last night...

So pics below, is it really just the location of the mounting holes (passenger slightly lower)?

Also, for anyone doing this make sure the calipers you receive have the crossover tubes. One of mine is missing and I just assumed this version had it ported internally on one of the calipers until I looked closely at these pics. Another n00b mistake. Ugh.

IMG_0993.JPEG
IMG_0996.JPEG

Edit: If anyone is wondering, I got them from Amazon and if I do actually have two of the same then my best guess is that somewhere in this supply chain the wrong caliper got in a box...and judging by the missing crossover tube there is likely more to the story. Not sure what that says about Amazon or AC Delco...or me! Bottom line I'm probably stuck with an extra caliper without a crossover tube.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
where specifically did you order from? online? or? the online site I found off google i couldnt find the correct fittings?

where specifically did you order from? online? or? the online site I found off google i couldnt find the correct fittings?
Call Speigler directly. A guy named Brian will probably answer, tell him what you want and he will put it together. The online configurator doesn’t work, but you can try - the fittings are only available in stainless (per Brian). It will probably ship same day.

Edit: Spiegler? Speigler?

Reactions: narth327
View attachment 844273
It takes a village to raise a kit. This one is TMC's very own. @Lukez pioneered the 6-piston CTS-V DIY for the Model S. Then @jesse_le prototyped a rotor with GiroDisc for the Model 3 and Y. These full-floating slotted GiroDisc rotors for the Model 3 and Y come in at 370mm x 34mm. This mirrors the rotor size on the Cadillac CTS-V, Corvette C7 Z06, and other GM performance vehicles allowing fitment of massive GM 6-piston Brembos. For comparison, the OEM Model 3 Performance 2-piece rotor measures in at 355mm x 25mm while the OEM 1-piece "Base" Rotor measures a paltry 320mm x 25mm.

The GiroDisc rotors differentiate themselves from other manufacturers with U.S. sourced iron and beautifully anodized U.S.-sourced 6061-T6 aluminum rotor hats. The hat is also 4mm thicker than OEM which helps clear the unique stepped hub of the Model 3 Performance and obfuscates the need for small wheel spacers. The GiroDisc is also a true 2-piece rotor allowing you to replace the rings without need to replace the hats.

OEM GM Brembo 6-piston Calipers​

The GiroDisc rotors allow you to mount OEM GM Brembos from a number of GM performance vehicles including the ATS-V, CTS-V, and C7 Corvette Z06. These are lightweight 6-piston billet aluminum calipers that are optimized for cooling, specified as "low drag", and are designed to fit under 18" wheels. They mount up to the OEM Tesla front knuckle by either drilling out your caliper mounting holes to accept M14 caliper bolts or re-threading the caliper to accept the OEM Tesla M12 hardware. The latter allows you to return the vehicle completely to stock.

View attachment 844296

Another benefit of the GM 6-piston Brembos is a wide assortment of available brake pads. If you have ever searched for brake pads for the stock Model 3 Performance calipers you know that the selection for this seemingly proprietary caliper can be somewhat limited. The GM calipers feature a standard FMSI D1405 pad shape which opens up pad options from $64 Centric OE replacement street pads up to $700+ Ferodo DSUNO race pads.

Ordering​

As these are a relatively new offering, GiroDisc requires a minimum of 5 rotor pairs to make a production batch. Pricing is $1,200 per pair with free shipping to the continental U.S. There is an approximate 4 to 6 week lead time from the batch order for fulfillment. There is already some interest in the next batch and my hope is that the demand is strong enough for these to become regular stock at Emotive Engineering.

Coming Soon - The EmotiVetted GM 6-Pot Bolt-on BBK​

View attachment 844288
This post serves to kick off the conversation around the DIY-er piecing together their own OEM GM Brembo kit. Emotive Engineering is currently testing a full bolt-on affair including:
  • C7 Corvette Z06 Calipers re-threaded (time-sert) to accept factory Tesla caliper bolts
  • OE GM Caliper Hardware
  • G-LOC Brakes R12 Track Brake Pads
  • Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Pricing and options TBA - expected to release with the next batch delivery.

Not ready to go full on BBK? Emotive Engineering is an authorized GiroDisc dealer offering a full line of OE-replacement 2-piece rotors for your Tesla Model 3 or Y.
Was the price announced? it still has tba in the original post

Nice! How do you like them so far? I’m finally going to be installing mine this weekend.
Honestly the difference in feel from stock Performance brakes from regular or even slightly spirited driving is noticeable, but otherwise subtle (which I think is a good thing on a street car…I don’t want F1 pedals with my wife driving). I would probably say the following jumps provided the same relative improvements in pedal feel:
1) Stock —> 2) Stock + MPP Master Cylinder Brace (say, a 10%-15% increase in pedal stiffness and responsiveness)
And
2) “…” —> 3) Brembo fronts + Powerstop Track Day Pads + XT910 Rear pads + MPP SS brake lines (another perhaps 10-15% increase in responsiveness.

I have had no additional noises or anything. Obviously I wasn’t particularly outrunning the stock brakes coming off the occasional spirited highway ramp or empty roundabout (or even doing AutoX), so I can’t provide any real heat-related feedback. But, I feel good about the coming road course event!

Last edited:
Reactions: jesse_le
Been running these for about 2k miles on the road. Missed out on my track day at Palmer due to work obligations (DAMN YOUUUU!!!!), but these things are firm and bite. I'm running Corvette stock Brembo pads on the street. They're dusty pads, but for how cheaply I got them I'm happy - especially since they bite so well in all conditions. I've read these pads do well on the track if you're OK wearing them out quickly.

No complaints on this upgrade. Just a beautiful kit, and I'm glad we have a vendor bringing them to Tesla drivers.