Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Give Energy Inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we have our panels all installed last week, 10 panels 2 x 9.5kwh hours batteries and a gen 2 inverter, I have some queries:

• whatever settings I use I always find I am exporting something to the grid, maybe only 170w but sill can I stop this? at the moment it's 112w with an internal load of 770w and a generation of 3.25 kWh via solar
  • the inverter is 3.6 kWh hybrid but the max discharge rate seems to be only 2.6kwh, can I change this anywhere?

eon arent great at post-sales enquiries!

You will always have some export to the grid. The inverter needs to maintain some plus it cannot react instantly to changes in PV output.
The max discharge probably relates to the battery.

Until you get the hang of it, stick the Inverter on Eco (in the web portal, not the app). If you have a Time Of Use tariff (such as Go, Go Faster, EDF) then also set a Timed Charge in the My Inverter>Settings>Timed Charge for the same timings. This will stop the house battery being dumped into the car battery.

The GivEnergy community is a great place to ask questions like this. Lots of knowledgeable people on there. You can access it through the Web portal.

Reactions: hash and G4WFT
I have the GivEnergy 3.6kW hybrid inverter. It will handle up to 3.6 kW. The battery I have (5.2kWh) will discharge at up to 2.6kW maximum.
Regarding export to the grid, it's simple - if your panels are providing more power than you are consuming (including any battery charging) the excess will go to the grid. Where else can it go? Our system exports most sunny days as we simply don't use all that the panels generate. I may add another battery at some point to use some of that excess and provide power when there's no solar generation. The GivEnergy system allows you to configure how you want the system to operate but we've simply left it at the default of minimising grid usage. Because we are on the Octopus Go tariff I've set up timed battery charging to charge the battery between 0030 and 0430, but at this time of year the battery is often charged sufficiently that no extra charging is needed.
Edit: @Zakalwe had beaten me to it - good advice from them!

Reactions: hash and Zakalwe
So we have our panels all installed last week, 10 panels 2 x 9.5kwh hours batteries and a gen 2 inverter, I have some queries:

• whatever settings I use I always find I am exporting something to the grid, maybe only 170w but sill can I stop this? at the moment it's 112w with an internal load of 770w and a generation of 3.25 kWh via solar
  • the inverter is 3.6 kWh hybrid but the max discharge rate seems to be only 2.6kwh, can I change this anywhere?

They won't be great at post-sales, they're basically a middleman who sub-contract it all out... Not my cup of tea for spending £15k odd.

I found they were uncompetitive on price too, as well as poor service

I have a power wall, and it doesn't exactly match charging with solar production. I am usually importing 20-100 watts all day until it is full..

I would much rather have a small export since it costs nothing, than a small import which costs a fortune. (I have and E7 tariff with a very low night rate and a very high day rate)

I have a power wall, and it doesn't exactly match charging with solar production. I am usually importing 20-100 watts all day until it is full..

I would much rather have a small export since it costs nothing, than a small import which costs a fortune. (I have and E7 tariff with a very low night rate and a very high day rate)
Not uncommon. I import about 150 - 200Wh per day. Small beer really.

Apologies for asking a tangential question (but I don't want to start too many non Tesla related threads).

I'm thinking of using GroWatt. I fully appreciate they are a Chinese company with limited or no customer support (other than from the installer) but the price is a notable difference and I'm minded to take the risk. Has anyone had any experience with GroWatt?

I'm also thinking of putting the inverter in my loft next to my bedroom. Would it be too noisy?

Apologies for asking a tangential question (but I don't want to start too many non Tesla related threads).

I'm thinking of using GroWatt. I fully appreciate they are a Chinese company with limited or no customer support (other than from the installer) but the price is a notable difference and I'm minded to take the risk. Has anyone had any experience with GroWatt?

I'm also thinking of putting the inverter in my loft next to my bedroom. Would it be too noisy?
I may be a bit biased but buying “cheap” tech from China with no support (and pretty poor reviews on Trustpilot) seems like a decision you may well regret.

I may be a bit biased but buying “cheap” tech from China with no support (and pretty poor reviews on Trustpilot) seems like a decision you may well regret.
Agree entirely with this, I made same decision! I had a solar company push this to me hard, but they could never answer questions I had in any detail. I'm glad I stayed away...

Cheap is almost always more expensive.

Reactions: ACarneiro