Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Give me a break from the fwy brake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
So now that the holidays are over my local po-po's are back out in full rush hour mode. Being green we get to use the pay-per-use rush hour lane for free. DurIng normal rush hours the police/sheriff/state patrol are routinely in the far left median watchIng for violaters and lame changers to issue some pretty hefty fines.

Here's the problem tho. With the latest firmware "changes" the auto slowdown braking has become quite hazardous. Traveling at 75 in our posted 70 zone...never a problem for our law enforcement....my car briskly started slowing to 50 looking like I was quick braking AS I PASSED THE cops in the left median simultaneously brake-checking the traffic behind me. The enforcement cars are well off the road and do not want or expect the traffic to slow for them.

The unchecked and unverified for safety and usability, by actual drivers, updates that are being sent out are really becoming a nuisance. I have reported this along with several other new "enhancements" to the proper authorities. I hope Tesla IS listening....

Please please please anyone experIencing AP1 nuesances report them as BUGS....don't accept them as so called "improvements"

Tesla putting the speed limit restriction, may sound like an absurd idea, but safety is king!

So in the name of SAFETY, and stupid things people do, here are some other things Tesla and all car manufacturers should implement ASAP!

1. Car refuses to start unless seatbelt is clicked
2. Car refuses to accelerate and slows down if you are tailgating, the car enforces the 3 second rule.
3. Cars include cellphone jamming technology to prevent texting
4. Replace keyfob with a breathalyzer.
5. Heated cooled seats and massagers be banned as they could lull the driver to a false sense of comfort and sleep.
6. Cars be limited to a maximum of 55mph. 65mph on the west coast. Why should a car be allowed to ever go over the speed limit?
7. Duct tape attachment for the passenger seat along with sound/nag-proof enclosure.
8. Chloroform feature for rear seat.
9. Cars never drive by attractive women, like ever!
10. A limitless supply of tacos.

Make it happen Elon! Save the planet from the self destructive behavior of humans!

Tesla putting the speed limit restriction, may sound like an absurd idea, but safety is king!

So in the name of SAFETY, and stupid things people do, here are some other things Tesla and all car manufacturers should implement ASAP!

2. Car refuses to accelerate and slows down if you are tailgating, the car enforces the 3 second rule.
5. Heated cooled seats and massagers be banned as they could lull the driver to a false sense of comfort and sleep.
6. Cars be limited to a maximum of 55mph. 65mph on the west coast. Why should a car be allowed to ever go over the speed limit?
7. Duct tape attachment for the passenger seat along with sound/nag-proof enclosure.

Make it happen Elon! Save the planet from the self destructive behavior of humans!

You laugh, but #6 will be in full force when car is in autonomous mode. They will simply go the speed limit, and not a mile over. That ought to be a joy on the highways...

I have been tempted to post my own satirical "suggestions", but feared they would actually be implemented. But hey...
11. Touch screen becomes inactive when driving.
12. Too many lane changes (aggressive driving) limits speed and acceleration.
13. Launches occur only within geofenced race locations.
14. Lane change or turn without using signals halves the available range on each occurance until put into park.
15. Slow to 25MPH if within 1/4 mile of a school, always.

Safety!

• Funny
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
You laugh, but #6 will be in full force when car is in autonomous mode. They will simply go the speed limit, and not a mile over. That ought to be a joy on the highways...

The UK has very aggressive speed camera use throughout the motorway system now. As a return visitor every year or so now, I see a system which flows much better than before when the average speed around the London orbital motorway was 85 on a 70 limit.

Journey times are just as good or better for two reasons. Much less bunching (where everything inexplicably slows and then picks up again (probably due to something which happened in that areas hours ago). And that results in less tail-end tragedies - so less disruption.

Sadly autonomous is much further away than we hope ...

I haven't been following the auto slowdown issues because I haven't had my EAP enabled yet, but are they in response because of slow down laws? Move Over Law - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

I don't know. But if WE, the driver as stated clearly ny Tesla, are fully responsible then let us decide when it's appropriate to slow down, The situation I wrote about above is strictly relating to traffic enforcement in the far left median watching for,speeders. NOT TO SLOW DOWN FLOWING TRAFFIC. In this case I, AutoPilot, am/is the one being a traffic hazard. And by the way looking like a total jerk slowling from 75 to 50mph in a completely clear and legally proper speed.

The update limiting AutoPilot to no more than the speed limit on the side roads (instead of 5mph over) is causing me more heart-ache than I thought it would. It's ludicrous (pun intended) to be forced to 'drive' at a speed that is much slower than the flow of traffic. I agree with Darren Schilberg's comments here. AutoPilot is supposed to help make us safer on the roads - I have not felt safer using AP after the update on these side streets going (much) slower than the flow of traffic.

WHAT TESLA SHOULD DO = perhaps make the AP speed on these side roads default to the speed limits posted, but allow for drivers to manually up the speed by 5 mph (or 10 mph). Technically, the software should be able to (eventually) calculate some sort of a 'safe flow rate', which could be used to guide the 'limit' as well.

My understanding is this specific "feature" is either going to be reworked or pulled altogether due to how unsafe it is.

I would definitely encourage all of you to email Tesla about this update because of how sneaky it was. There was no mention of the limitations on the release notes. There was no rationality given for either.

There were two independent updates to AP, and neither was documented in the release notes.

The first was changing the AP max speed on undivided highways/roads to the speed limit when it used to be 5 over.

The second change was limiting the AP speed to 50mph in specific situations (even on freeways/etc). This is the one that has proven to be dangerous.

• Love
Reactions: Fiddler and u00mem9
AP should do the speed limit on undivided roads and really highways. If you want to go faster drive the car yourself. Tesla's system should not permit you to speed. Yes flow of traffic but it's still against the law and tell a cop flow of traffic next time you get a ticket. The level of driving AP does now I think on a divided highway we should be allowed to set the speed we want. Full autonomous definitely not. We have a real bug in Tampa on a divided highway speed limit 55 but the car thinks 30 so it rapidly decelerates. Usually traffic flow is 80+ and I drive 70. Very unsafe but the second I see it happen I disengage and take over.

AP should do the speed limit on undivided roads and really highways. If you want to go faster drive the car yourself. Tesla's system should not permit you to speed. Yes flow of traffic but it's still against the law and tell a cop flow of traffic next time you get a ticket. The level of driving AP does now I think on a divided highway we should be allowed to set the speed we want. Full autonomous definitely not. We have a real bug in Tampa on a divided highway speed limit 55 but the car thinks 30 so it rapidly decelerates. Usually traffic flow is 80+ and I drive 70. Very unsafe but the second I see it happen I disengage and take over.

I wish there was an option to double disagree with your post. Having this strong an opinion about what other people do should be kept within the walls of your church.

In any event, you surely must know <1% of normal people and <30% of Prius owners would agree. Not a realistic expectation for the coming autonomous future. The first OEM that makes the feature effective at higher than the speed limit will instantly force the other makers to follow suit or become uncompetitive in the marketplace.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy

Until Tesla takes responsibility for any traffic violations I should be able to set the AutoPilot speed to a reasonable speed above the posted speed limit. I agree completely that a fully autonomous car being driven 100% by the manufacturer software should be limited and liable. Up until then stop with the bastardization of AutoPilot to the point of making it unusable and even 2 x more UNSAFE than a human driver.

Reactions: kavyboy
Until Tesla takes responsibility for any traffic violations I should be able to set the AutoPilot speed to a reasonable speed above the posted speed limit. I agree completely that a fully autonomous car being driven 100% by the manufacturer software should be limited and liable. Up until then stop with the bastardization of AutoPilot to the point of making it unusable and even 2 x more UNSAFE than a human driver.

The end of my post agrees with you in regard to 100% autonomous. Until that point I think you should be able to set it up to a limit which right now is 90 on a divided road. On a non divided road, where AP is really not suppose to be used, I don't see a problem with the limit. Where I have a real problem is the car trying to determine a change in condition right now like the OP said. I understand Tesla is trying to be careful and not jeopardize the future of the cars being able to have full autonomy. I think it is a smart move but they need to fix some of these issues on the highways.

I wish there was an option to double disagree with your post. Having this strong an opinion about what other people do should be kept within the walls of your church.

In any event, you surely must know <1% of normal people and <30% of Prius owners would agree. Not a realistic expectation for the coming autonomous future. The first OEM that makes the feature effective at higher than the speed limit will instantly force the other makers to follow suit or become uncompetitive in the marketplace.

So basically you want the automakers to intentionally violate the laws. Again for full autonomous driving only. I agree there are issues right now with the current level that need to be fixed.

My post shows I agree about current AP being a cruise control where you should be able to set it higher on the highway. I don't think Tesla is wrong setting a limit on non-divided roads as most as local and not where the current AP is to be used. When full autonomous comes out the inverse of your argument could also happen. If every automaker implements a system that uses the speed limit things will flow more smoothly. The issue is there will always be a moron who feels that 90 in a 55 is acceptable and their weaving will causes issues for everyone.

Believe me I like enjoying my cars and speed, but I do it in a safe and controlled environment on the racetrack.

Last edited:

I doubt this will happen as I suspect all jurisdictions which authorize/approve full autonomy will have speed-limit compliance as a pre-requisite of vehicle approval. Does not make sense to pass laws with limits based on safety expectation, and then allow a vehicle to exceed them anyway.

But I guess we'll see how it plays out. I have always thought that many people who love the idea of autonomous will quickly u-turn once they realize they will almost certainly have to comply with the law. And while you get to pick and choose the which laws you think you should comply with - auto-manufacturers don't as the first kid killed by an autonomous car which was set to exceed the speed limit will get sued to big time (unless the Fed does a protection law as they have for gun manufacturers - which I do not see happening).

Reactions: GTIceman