Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Give Me An Option for Walk-Up Unlock!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife generally loves her 3, but she continues to have 2 complaints.

First and foremost, she’s spitting mad that they took away walk-up unlock. The “tap the handles to unlock” is a major regression in her eyes. Having to hit the handles to get the charger port to open up for her is a daily nuisance.

this is compounded by complaint #2, which is a recent string increase in the Phone Key not working reliably.

I can see how walk-up unlock may not be for everyone, but they should definitely make it an option like walk-away lock is.

Buy an S?

Seriously, they have to reserve some features for the high end to distinguish the product lines.

I'd hardly call unlocking the car when the phone comes near a "high end" feature. It was already present on the 3 then disabled. Are you are getting what OP is saying confused with automatic presenting of the handles like the S? Regardless, an enable/disable option would have been much better instead of taking it away completely.

Reactions: jsmay311
Keyless entry is not the same was walk-up auto unlock.

If the Model 3's existing keyless entry systems worked as advertised, this would be a moot issue, since the charge connector is supposed to unlock when an authenticated phone is within range and the button on the charge connector is pressed. (see Page 109 in the manual, under "Stopping Charging" https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf )

So, really, "walk-up unlock" in this case would just be a work-around for having a keyless entry system that works. (I.e., a key fob.)

Why did they remove the feature?

Also, I'm a little confused. You have to touch the handle to open the car door, so why does it matter? Or are we only talking about the charge port door here?
People were complaining that the car was locking and unlocking while in the garage . Walk up unlock was the default option initially. Maybe they will add it back as an option when they offer a key fob again .

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
Man, if only the car had some way of locating its position....you know...globally...with some kind of system... so it would know when it's "home" and not keep doing that.
Really the issue is anywhere you park and stay too close to the car. As far as I know there are only two other cars that actually unlock as you approach the vehicle (the S and X), others either have a sensor in the handle (VW Kessy) or make you press a button on the door handle (GM) before the car unlocks. Of course I could be wrong, I just haven't seen any that flat unlock without physical interaction.

If you press the button to unlatch the charge port, it needs unlatch if the phone key is present, whether the car is locked or unlocked. There’s no reason for an option and no reason why Tesla can’t implement this. I keep expecting them to fix this obvious bug with each release. If your only reason to want walk up unlock is to work around this bug, I think you’re focusing on the wrong thing.

Why would you not want your car to lock and unlock in the garage or driveway?

Because my garage already has a locked door on it and I don't want my car door locks cycling every time I walk into or out of the kitchen that is right next to said garage?

But yeah- this overall seems a case of Tesla having overthought the entire system.

My 10 year old lexus I use a credit card key. When I walk up "near" the car, but only within a couple of feet, if it's dark it will turn on the door/puddle lights, and if I touch the door handle it unlocks the door. Ditto if I touch the trunk release at the back by the trunk.

This works flawlessly 100% of the time, without need of a fob, or my phone, or ever taking anything out of a wallet/pocket.

Because my garage already has a locked door on it and I don't want my car door locks cycling every time I walk into or out of the kitchen that is right next to said garage?

But yeah- this overall seems a case of Tesla having overthought the entire system.

My 10 year old lexus I use a credit card key. When I walk up "near" the car, but only within a couple of feet, if it's dark it will turn on the door/puddle lights, and if I touch the door handle it unlocks the door. Ditto if I touch the trunk release at the back by the trunk.

This works flawlessly 100% of the time, without need of a fob, or my phone, or ever taking anything out of a wallet/pocket.

Our garage is directly below the master bedroom and right in front of the stairs so walk a few feet from the garage anytime I go up and down - never have any issues with the car waking up walking by or being in the bedroom.

However, I would like it to stay unlocked as well, I have had multiple times I needed something in the car and went to get it, only to realize I didn't have my phone (or card) on me.

Yeah RFID probably would have been cheaper than NFC and Bluetooth.

When the complaints came in about people in their house so close to their car that it unlocks, they should have just made it a toggle.

I want it to unlock when I'm 10 feet away.

I am in a condo, I'm not close to the car.

If I ever buy a house, and I'm 5 feet from my car, I could just toggle it off.

When the complaints came in about people in their house so close to their car that it unlocks, they should have just made it a toggle.

I want it to unlock when I'm 10 feet away.

I am in a condo, I'm not close to the car.

If I ever buy a house, and I'm 5 feet from my car, I could just toggle it off.
It was a toggle. It should have been defaulted to off rather than taken away.

Reactions: gambit48