Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Give ONE reason why you purchased a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me it's environmental. I was not going to buy anything other than pure EV as my next car. I regard it as my responsibility to do this. I am working through the emissions of my life and trying to reduce them dramatically. And my old car is worn out. I have a 200 mile each way weekly commute, so the tesla fits this nicely. I could probably get enough AP style functionality soon enough from other manufacturers. I went for an S over a 3 for the hatch, mainly.

It cost 7 times what I paid for the purchase of my previous car. I can afford it, I suppose, but I have never valued cars like many do. I've always kept my car costs down to a much smaller fraction of my finances than most people do. I've only ever sold one car except to the scrap heap or family. That said, if it weren't for the emissions points I'd probably still have upgraded a bit and paid maybe double what my last car cost for something nice ish a couple of years old. Then driven it for 150,000 miles as before. A Model S is far more up front but to the UK business owner isn't far off the same lifetime cost (NPV basis) as this hypothetical car bought new, so although the numbers look very different and it's an extreme outlay for me, over my usage lifetime it comes out not crazy money.

There is no other vehicle available that claims to withstand the peril of Multiple Fully-Grown African Elephants falling from trees:

Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 22.58.03.png

• Funny
Reactions: interbear
If it's one reason, then it's range. I need to be able to drive 200 motorway miles in winter without being forced to stop.
But also best electric technology for EV motors and battery.
Supercharger network...has to be better and faster than one Electric Highway CCS charger which might not work. Why I had an i3 Rex, which can't do 200 miles without a stop but if the EH charger is down then I can stick in 9L of petrol.
Autopilot...Hopefully FSD will turn up in a few years via OTA...my i3 really needs software updates for MobilEye which will never happen!
Performance...I went for LR AWD, but switched to P+ as I thought I'd get it quicker...which I did with VIN turning up the day after I switched. However it's really quick and still rides well, so a good upgrade to jump the queue a bit (April 2019 reservation but 1st May order).
Also not many manufacturers let you chop and change specs after ordering.
So because it's a Tesla and there really isn't anyone getting close yet :)

Zero emissions was the primary reason for me, if I’m honest Greta Thunberg has actually inspired me to do more on the sustainability front, her efforts to bring “climate emergency” to the fore has really jolted me into action, more so than other environmental campaigners managed to do before. Saying cheerio diesel and hello EV is one element of that. I could have chosen several EVs of course, but chose the Model 3 LR AWD primarily for it’s range and charger network.

The environment and the desire to do what I can to ensure that my children, and their children, will be able to live their lives without cursing the selfishness and stupidity of their ancestors...

That and the fact it was the only EV that was a viable ‘do everything’ family car.

The short answer, the Model S blew away my short list of criteria when nothing else could tick all the boxes.

I was looking to replace my 24 year old ICE and I wanted/needed the following:
1) I needed seats that could go back far enough for my long legs and I could get into a comfortable seating position for my damaged tailbone (from a fall as a kid). That pushed me into a larger car, but even many larger cars don't work.
2) I wanted at least 20% better gas mileage than my old car (18 miles per gallon city, 25 highway, awful for Europe, but was normal for a US large car in the early 1990s).
3) I wanted at least equal 0-60 mph acceleration (about the same as 0-100 kph acceleration) as my old car, which was 7s. I just wanted enough umph to get on a freeway safely.
4) I wanted at least 80% the cargo space as my old car. It had a big 20 cu ft truck, which was large even when it was new.

I couldn't find a single ICE or hybrid that could meet all 4. I was looking in the $30K-$40K range, but when I found the Model S, I was amazed it not only met but exceeded every item, mostly by a massive margin. So I started saving.

I do understand all the environmental concerns, but for the mainstream car buying public Tesla beats ICE in every area except
1) Fast fueling time on a road trip
2) Range, the Model S LR is getting up there in range compared to ICE, but there are still a lot of ICE with more range
3) Price - Electrics still cost more than equivalent ICE, but that's getting better every day

In everyday convenience (charging at home and running around locally), performance, cost of ownership, and to a large extent comfort Teslas are vastly superior to ICE. The refueling on the road is made vastly easier by superchargers (as well as free for life for me) and I've found being forced to get out and walk around a bit while the car is charging is much easier on the body when driving long distances. The price issue will resolve itself over time.

If I was absolutely honest I suppose it would quite probably be vanity! For me it'e the total package.

I'd always admired them from afar and after taking an extended holiday in California in 2016 and seeing quite a few 'in the flesh' I decided to take the plunge with a used MS P85D when I returned home.

Then, earlier this year they suddenly dropped prices appreciably so I ordered a new P100D. I'm a 72yo non smoker, non drinker, non gambler boring old fart but I do enjoy my driving and after driving several top end cars (not supercars) this is by a long way the best driving experience by a substantial margin.:D:D:):)

Reactions: Keeper
Charging network.

I've been driving a Leaf24 for 4 years, just back from a 400mile round trip and numerous charging issues, although now helped by the recently introduced WattsUp app that tells which charge points are in use (not Tesla). Arrived at one charger with an Ionic PHEV locked on for 5hrs at a rapid. With the Tesla, no more charging worries - perfect - can't wait!. This is my list of apps...
thumbnail_Screenshot_20190825-120447.png

Just gorgeous engineering.

First saw an S in Fremont showroom 6 years ago. It was clearly the way to go. Ground up proper design. Attention to every detail and willingness to do it differently when existing solutions can be improved on.

With the M3 not only can I afford one, but it’s true 3rd generation EV. Blank sheet design from a company that already made the best in the world.

Both the BMW “ultimate driving machine” and Audi’s “we have the technology” are now just old marketing slogans. Tesla is living both and not stopping.

The Y and roadster should make Tesla unstoppable if they can avoid financial pot holes.

However credit to Nissan for the lead. It’s a really impressive car for everyday use.

Model S - for my wife because she hates buying gasoline, loves responsive cars and upgrades. Made it 100D with smart air suspension so it would do well on road trips.

Model 3DP- because my wife found the S hard to park downtown, inadequate interior storage. Also, I wanted to drive electric, not ICE after experiencing the difference. Wife loves the 3’s handling, size and amenities. I’m happy with the S.

Upgradeability. I had a leaf and just to upgrade pathetically out of date maps they wanted £150 and had to order an SD card from Japan. To fix a battery bug on the 30kw required a special appointment with the dealer (it couldn't be done at service, no idea why). Ultimately I never bothered with either.

Tesla fix bugs automatically. They even add new features automatically. You only have to worry about visiting dealers if something breaks (and even for that there are rangers).