TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Give up your Model 3 .

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Xiao ma ge, May 23, 2017.

?

Will you buy Model S?

1. No,i just love Model 3

20.8%
  2. I have a Model S now,i want to experience the Model 3

54.2%
  3. i will buy Model S

25.0%
  1. Xiao ma ge

Xiao ma ge Member

Elon musk try to persuade us to buy Model S and give up our Model 3 by these comparison charts.Will it change your previous plan? WeChat Image_20170523165153.png WeChat Image_20170523165203.png WeChat Image_20170523165207.png

2. ABVA

ABVA Member

Feature to feature Model S wins. Now it comes to price point and then Model 3 price point comparison to other cars.
    We currently have two Model S in the family and two Model 3s on reservation. Most likely the oldest Model S will go when 3s arrive.

• Like x 1
  3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

I'm not a premium car buyer and the Model S is too big.
    I intend the Model 3 to be my only Tesla purchase.

• Like x 3
  4. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Model 3 will be the second car in the household. So my vote is Already have an X, Will buy a 3. We don't need two big premium cars.

• Like x 1
  5. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

I cannot relate to most of that list since I have an S60 and the comparison falls on its face.

Range is pretty much similar to the Model 3
    0-60 is the same
    I can seat 5 adults and no more (no rear facing seats)
    I dont have ANY of the so-called "premium" features listed as I have solid roof and non-PUP 19's
    AND I didng get powered rear lift-gate either since they added it after I bought the car

Looks like I already have a Model 3 then :S

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

#6 Max*, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    My biggest issue is the "1,500+" number. It sounded like they were too lazy to calculate what it actually is.

It took me all of 1 minute
    If it includes software options: 223,104 configurations
    If it's hardware only configurations: 74,368 configurations

While yes one-hundred thousand is more than 1,500. It makes it hard for me to believe the 100 number for the Model 3.

====================
    ETA: It seems that instead of doing actual math, they took about 10 variables, assumed they each have 2 options, and did 2^10 + some fluff = 1,500+ configurations!

If that's the case, should I expect only 6-7 options on the Model 3? (Color, Wheels, Interior color, battery size, AWD and EAP/FSD)

• Like x 1
  7. ev-now

ev-now Member

Me too, and as I just vented elsewhere, Elon/Tesla has done a lot to devalue the S60 this year with the MS pricing changes and reinstating supercharging for all the 2017 purchases to date.

Two M3 reservations, waiting to decide - but through your lens, you're right - pretty much have one already.

8. whttiger25

whttiger25 Member

Would have made more sense to sum all configuration options rather than multiply.

9. Max*

You lost me... if we're trying to gather the total configuration options, you multiply, not sum.

Think of it this way, you have an option of 3 apples (red, green, yellow) and 2 knives (dull, sharp).
    If you sum, you get 5 combinations

When in reality, if you multiply, you get 6:
    red apple, dull knife
    red apple, sharp knife
    green apple, dull knife
    green apple, sharp knife
    yellow apple, dull knife
    yellow apple, sharp knife

• Like x 3
  10. tpham07

tpham07 Member

This has nothing to do with the S60 lol.

0-60 is not the same. Model S is 0.3 seconds faster.
    Seating is not exclusive to the S60. Most people do not buy the rear seats.
    Not having the premium features was your choice. At least you had the choice, as opposed to people buying the Model 3 who won't.
    Lift-gate, once again an option/choice you neglected to pick, nothing to do with the S60 or Model 3. Its not like the PUP/Liftgate came standard on the 75 or 90 before the 60 was discontinued either...

"I already have a model 3" ignores the fact that you have free supercharging, a much larger cargo capacity, much larger cabin, a driver dashboard in addition to center console, etc...

Not sure how reinstating free supercharging devalues a S60, because the S60s get the free supercharging as well, so doesn't that increase the value? #confused

11. Zextraterrestrial

no, you have soo much more storage space, and 2 screens ;>

• Like x 1
  12. Petra

Petra Member

I understand why they're anti-selling the Model 3, but that doesn't make that comparison sheet any less BS--comparing top-end S specs to incomplete base model 3 info. If anything, this comparison sheet just further convinces me that all the S really has going for it is the liftback design and more cargo space... at a $35k premium.

This'll certainly make for an interesting comparison video with my Model S.

13. whttiger25

whttiger25 Member

I get it....I just don't really think 224k configuration options is relatable to the consumer. My point is that total number of options, rather than total number of unique configurations, is more relatable.

Plus...I am not really sure how there are ONLY 100 configurations for the 3. To me that's nothing at all. I mean there have to be at least 6 paint colors and 4 rim choices based on what we've seen. That's already 24, and that's before we get battery/range options, interior options, dual motor, performance, autopilot/fsd. I do not understand their math at all...

14. Max*

Right, that was my point. The 1,500 number is BS, so the 100 number is likely wrong too.

Also, the 224k number is low based on historical Tesla trends. I think at one point it was 2M+ configurations.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  15. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

So the third biggest selling feature after performance and range is free supercharging. Yet at the same time, Tesla says that "supercharging is for long distance travel only" -- that is, unless they use it as a selling feature. Then that changes to buy an S or X and "help yourself all you want to the supercharger down the street". While Tesla may not expressly say that, that's what the chart above says to everyone with no mention of travel at all.

I just can't see how in the future superchargers can be kept free for travellers when there's a ton of Model 3s out there on road trips, plus all the S/X owners with free supercharging for life.

I really wish the superchargers came with a pay-per-use cost to everyone since that would limit them to travellers and people who really can't charge at home. If Tesla was really interested in moving us towards EVs as being comparable to ICE for not only our daily commute, but also our travels, they should not be sacrificing open superchargers for increasing their bottom line. Bad Tesla!

• Disagree x 1
  16. spooky981

spooky981 Member

Can't believe some of you want the first 3's off the line. It took Tesla about four years before the S was a solid vehicle.

• Helpful x 1
  17. Mike K

Mike K Member

How so? I had an early VIN 2013 and while it had it's share of common early build issues, it was hardly a lemon and cars coming off the assembly line just mid-way through 2013 were substantially better.

I wouldn't say my 2015 is a substantially better vehicle unless the only metric I'm basing that on is overall speed. Likewise with the brand new cars. They have many of the fit and finish issues of the older cars.

18. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

If Model 3 is a reliable EV, it'll be my next car.

Tesla wants to sell you Model S - because it has a higher profit margin and it can sell you Model S today.

Tesla wants to discourage you from buying Model 3 because frankly ramping up production to support that number of cars is not only very complicated and expensive, but also begs the question - what do you do with all that production capacity, once the wait times have come down to a few weeks?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is followed with a higher than expected Model 3 price, and a lowering of Model S price.

19. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

What problems have you had with a classic model S?

My early 2014 S is solid as a rock. My only regret is wasting over a year of my life by not buying one sooner.

• Like x 1
  20. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Plus look at the premium features,

- Bigger car .. don't want.
    - Aluminium ... don't want.
    - HEPA .. don't care
    - Air suspension .. don't want.
    - Pano roof .. don't want
    - Glass roof .. model 3 also has this.
    - Autopresenting door handles .. don't want
    - 21" wheels .. don't want
    - Range .. Model 3 has enough
    - Supercharging .. I rarely use it, and fine will pay per use.
    - Displays .. not that big a deal esp. considering the price
    - Performance .. Model 3 has enough

The only REAL disadvantages of Model 3 are, lesser carrying space, and longer delivery time.
    The rest of the things that Tesla has illustrated sound like advantages to me ;-)

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1