Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Give up your Model 3 .

Will you buy Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Model 3 is a reliable EV, it'll be my next car.

Tesla wants to sell you Model S - because it has a higher profit margin and it can sell you Model S today.

Tesla wants to discourage you from buying Model 3 because frankly ramping up production to support that number of cars is not only very complicated and expensive, but also begs the question - what do you do with all that production capacity, once the wait times have come down to a few weeks?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is followed with a higher than expected Model 3 price, and a lowering of Model S price.
Well shouldn't the Model S (and X) price come down since they've now "done their job" of enabling Tesla to make the Model 3?

From the get-go everybody has understood that they are over-paying for the Roadster->Model S->Model X in order to allow Tesla to grow. Musk has said this from the infancy of the Master Plan.

So now they've grown.. time for the pricing to adjust.

-Jim

Reactions: Sousagil90D
Comparing the S to the 3 is like comparing the BMW 5 to the BMW 3, or the Mercedes S to their E. In each case the buyer is paying a hefty chunk of cash for a bit more size, a bit more stability at speed (and perhaps less fun at lower speeds), and a few more features. The lower priced car is always the best value.

Having said that, I love my S 60D.

"I already have a model 3" ignores the fact that you have free supercharging, a much larger cargo capacity, much larger cabin, a driver dashboard in addition to center console, etc...

Not sure how reinstating free supercharging devalues a S60, because the S60s get the free supercharging as well, so doesn't that increase the value? #confused

0-60 is 5.5 vs 5.6, pretty much the same, non-D

I already have a Very expensive BIGGER Model 3, there happy? :)

• Funny
Reactions: henderrj
0-60 is 5.5 vs 5.6, pretty much the same, non-D

I already have a Very expensive BIGGER Model 3, there happy? :)

With unlimited free supercharging. And ~1 year+ ahead of time. And, of course, the S looks a helluva lot better. Also, has anything been said to date about the relative safety of the 3 vs. the S? It would make sense to me that the 3 wouldn't quite be up to the same bar.

I haven't seen a 3 in person yet but judging from the pictures I take issue with the "helluva lot better" part. It may even look better than the S in person, being smaller and sleeker. Then again, aesthetics is subjective so there's no definitive answer to this one.

Right, totally subjective. For myself, I'm absolutely in love with the look of the S. The 3 looks great, for what it is, but it doesn't have that super sleek sports-car aesthetic. With how small it is, it's a lot more round and(sorry, this sounds much more harsh than I intend, but can't think of a better word) stubby.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Here I fixed the comparison to reflect the base pricing. Notice no drivers required as FSD is supposed to be ready by mid-2018. Not shown in the comparison is a much faster destination arrivals for multi-destination family ride sharing advertised by Tesla with FSD. :p
1Svs23.png

The base price is 35k for 3 and 69k for S. Its twice (almost).

When you start adding options it's likely the 3 will approach a higher percentage of a comparable S
.i.e. 45k vs 80k. actually we will know more with the configuator out later but the real comparison will be, what options do you have to add to the model 3 to approach a BASE model s? then you can make your comparison.

When you start adding options it's likely the 3 will approach a higher percentage of a comparable S
.i.e. 45k vs 80k. actually we will know more with the configuator out later but the real comparison will be, what options do you have to add to the model 3 to approach a BASE model s? then you can make your comparison.
Uhm... when you start adding options S can go into $150K territory. Maybe top of the line 3 will be in over $75K, but even the top may be close to 2x difference (Max config to max config). You can't compare Max Model 3 to base bare Model S.

Plus look at the premium features,

- Bigger car .. don't want.
- Aluminium ... don't want.
- HEPA .. don't care
- Air suspension .. don't want.
- Pano roof .. don't want
- Glass roof .. model 3 also has this.
- Autopresenting door handles .. don't want
- 21" wheels .. don't want
- Range .. Model 3 has enough
- Supercharging .. I rarely use it, and fine will pay per use.
- Displays .. not that big a deal esp. considering the price
- Performance .. Model 3 has enough

The only REAL disadvantages of Model 3 are, lesser carrying space, and longer delivery time.
The rest of the things that Tesla has illustrated sound like advantages to me ;-)

I agree with most of those, but I do want HEPA.

I probably want smaller diameter wheels than they'll offer on the S or 3. The fact that the minimum wheel diameter on the S is 19" is a downside to me. If the 3 has 17" wheels as an option I'm there, 18" would still be an improvement vs the S.

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
Uhm... when you start adding options S can go into $150K territory. Maybe top of the line 3 will be in over $75K, but even the top may be close to 2x difference (Max config to max config). You can't compare Max Model 3 to base bare Model S.
You missed my point, which was only that there will be some options required on the model 3 to even get it to compare to a base model s with no options. It was more about genuine feature parity, not how to get a model 3 to cost what a model s costs. Arguments here have been that there is no way a model S is worth twice what a model 3 costs and I'm just saying if you are going to make that comparison, you'll need to add at least some options to the 3 first. I'm not talking about what a totally optioned S will look like compared to a totally optioned 3.

I believe Tesla will be smart enough to make the model S feel significantly more valuable than a model 3, same way a bmw 7 series feels more valuable than a 3 series. I'm sure the model 3 leather option will be a cheaper style that's less supple, as an example. It won't have leather trim on dash and doors, no alcantra accents, etc... Seats will probalby be a bit more basic.

What everyone here values in a car will vary widely. For me, it's the luggage space that sells me on the S. Being able to throw a full mountain bike in the back with seats down and leaving wheel on, that's huge.

I agree with most of those, but I do want HEPA.

I probably want smaller diameter wheels than they'll offer on the S or 3. The fact that the minimum wheel diameter on the S is 19" is a downside to me. If the 3 has 17" wheels as an option I'm there, 18" would still be an improvement vs the S.
17's on the model s would look weird. It's such a large car and with such a large wheelbase....18s maybe but even then it wouldn't look right. I get it though...I was going to get an M3 prior to deciding on my S, and hands down I was going to get hte stock 18s instead of the 19s.