Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giving a Co-worker’s Teen an EV Grant?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work with someone who has a 15-year-old daughter that my wife and I know well - she babysits for our 3 and 5-year-old kids a few times per month. She is an old soul, a little too mature and responsible for her age - she’s working several jobs, aggressively saving for her first car (and also for college). We’ve given her rides home after babysitting in our EVs and she’s always seemed interested in them. Her mom is one of my co-workers.

As an EV evangelist and active member of a local EV club, I’m always looking for ways to promote the transition to electric driving. Today I was planning on selling our old Siemens Versicharge EVSE that we no longer use, and then I thought, why don’t I just give it to someone like our babysitter as an incentive to buy a plug-in car? And then I thought, what if I also offered a small “grant”, like $1000, to her (or maybe even a couple of my other co-workers’ teenage kids) for buying a plug-in car? I figure most teenagers saving up for their first car are looking at a used one that costs a few grand at most - taking most EVs and even PHEVs out of the question.

My question is, would a “grant” like this be condescending? I am a physician and the coworker in question (babysitter’s mom) is a nurse practitioner who works with me. We have a great working relationship, we work closely together in a hospital and sometimes hang out outside the hospital as friends (she and my wife in particular are getting to be great friends and work out together sometimes). As a nurse practitioner I’m sure she is financially comfortable but I obviously make a lot more than her as a physician. Would it be a faux pas to offer her daughter money to buy a certain type of car? I would try to frame it as an EV passion project rather than a charitable gift from a “rich” person to a subordinate, but the thought that it might be seen that way gives me pause.

Reactions: outdoors
... Would it be a faux pas to offer her daughter money to buy a certain type of car? I would try to frame it as an EV passion project rather than a charitable gift from a “rich” person to a subordinate, but the thought that it might be seen that way gives me pause.

I'm afraid there are much more unsavory interpretations than those that might be made. Consider things carefully. If you decide to pursue this, I strongly suggest discussing it with her mother before breathing a word of it to the daughter...and be prepared to hear that she prefer you not do this.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy and KerryOH
Cross-posted this on Bogleheads (financial forum) and received an overwhelming deluge of “don’t do it!”. I appreciate the feedback but I agree I don’t want to do anything that would be seen as untoward in any respect. I think I’ll just see if anyone in my EV club wants the charger and forget about the rest for now. Thanks

Reactions: KerryOH and kavyboy
My suggestion would be to put the money into a trust for the daughter's college education if you want to support the daughter. Money is fungible and if she wants to buy an EV, having an extra thou in her college fund will make it easier to find money for a car. If you want to support EVs in general, I honestly have no idea how a private citizen's thousand dollars would best be employed. As for the EVSE, giving it to someone who will have no use for it for another five years, and might never, as she might end up buying a car that cannot use that model of EVSE, seems pointless.

It's too bad that savings bonds no longer pay any real interest. Once upon a time you could have bought a bond that would pay out when the kid was ready to start college. You could buy her 4 shares of TSLA with the proviso that they cannot be sold until she enters college. Owning a piece of the company could help maintain interest in electric transportation.

I work with someone who has a 15-year-old daughter that my wife and I know well - she babysits for our 3 and 5-year-old kids a few times per month. She is an old soul, a little too mature and responsible for her age - she’s working several jobs, aggressively saving for her first car (and also for college). We’ve given her rides home after babysitting in our EVs and she’s always seemed interested in them. Her mom is one of my co-workers.

As an EV evangelist and active member of a local EV club, I’m always looking for ways to promote the transition to electric driving. Today I was planning on selling our old Siemens Versicharge EVSE that we no longer use, and then I thought, why don’t I just give it to someone like our babysitter as an incentive to buy a plug-in car? And then I thought, what if I also offered a small “grant”, like $1000, to her (or maybe even a couple of my other co-workers’ teenage kids) for buying a plug-in car? I figure most teenagers saving up for their first car are looking at a used one that costs a few grand at most - taking most EVs and even PHEVs out of the question.

My question is, would a “grant” like this be condescending? I am a physician and the coworker in question (babysitter’s mom) is a nurse practitioner who works with me. We have a great working relationship, we work closely together in a hospital and sometimes hang out outside the hospital as friends (she and my wife in particular are getting to be great friends and work out together sometimes). As a nurse practitioner I’m sure she is financially comfortable but I obviously make a lot more than her as a physician. Would it be a faux pas to offer her daughter money to buy a certain type of car? I would try to frame it as an EV passion project rather than a charitable gift from a “rich” person to a subordinate, but the thought that it might be seen that way gives me pause.

My wife and I thought about what we would do with our cars if we decided to do a year of self transportation. As in if we can't get there by human power or sharing a ride with another we just don't go. A little of the wall, but wanted to try something different. Can't pursue the idea for a couple years.

Our thoughts were find a doctor for the S that helps the underserved population in our community. Then for our 3 a home hospice nurse.

I agree the fact that it is a child would give me pause, yet I like you might have done something like this without thinking it through. Glad we have sounding boards for our ideas.:)

My wife and I thought about what we would do with our cars if we decided to do a year of self transportation. As in if we can't get there by human power or sharing a ride with another we just don't go. A little of the wall, but wanted to try something different. Can't pursue the idea for a couple years.

Our thoughts were find a doctor for the S that helps the underserved population in our community. Then for our 3 a home hospice nurse.

I agree the fact that it is a child would give me pause, yet I like you might have done something like this without thinking it through. Glad we have sounding boards for our ideas.:)
One of our cars went to med students. Many are low on money and are new to the country, with all that entails.

Reactions: outdoors