Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giving a Tesla Moment to my 92-year-old father-in-law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the privilege of taking my nearly 93-year-old father-in-law -- and his buddy from high school(!!) -- on a ride in my Model S. We drove through their college campus, and by their high school. I casually mentioned that the car has quite a bit of "pick-up," and the reply was "Oh?" ...so I demonstrated. "WOW!"

My father-in-law (right) is a retired oil field geologist, and he opined that electric cars are "the future!", so it was my pleasure to show them that The Future has started. Both had a LOT of questions about range, speed, and other technical issues, and pretty well absorbed the answers I had for them.

And just look at those grins on their faces after they were done. :)

Paul-Jack-Tesla with copyright.jpg

What a joy it was to show these gentlemen "The Future"!

Oh, and I'm posting this from my 92-year-old mother's living room (on a road trip to see her), and maybe I'll follow up with a picture of her.

We have come a long way in their lifetimes:

"Electric cars enjoyed popularity between the late 19th century and early 20th century, when electricity was among the preferred methods for automobile propulsion, providing a level of comfort and ease of operation that could not be achieved by the gasoline cars of the time."

1922 First American car with four-wheel hydraulic brakes
spacer.gif

The Duesenberg, made in Indianapolis, Indiana, is the first American car with four-wheel hydraulic brakes, replacing ones that relied on the pressure of the driver’s foot alone. Hydraulic brakes use a master cylinder in a hydraulic system to keep pressure evenly applied to each wheel of the car as the driver presses on the brake pedal.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
We were going to delay our MS purchase until this year but decided to get one in December of 2015 so that we could take my folks for a ride in March of 2016.. They are 92 and 94 now and a year makes a difference. We are glad we took the plunge and provided the MS experience for them last year. They are still talking about the ride. A MasterCard moment that could have slipped away but didn't.
They live in Albuquerque and us in Dayton. A few years ago we trailered our 1931 Ford Model A out to give them I ride in it; another wonderful time with the folks. Great memories for all.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
My father (born in 1920) was in a skilled nursing center for 5 years1000 miles from us, so I was only able to visit him several times each year (and for most of that time, the supercharger network wasn't in place to allow us to drive).

When we talked on the phone and visited him, he talked often about my Tesla - and always asked about how it was going.

On a visit for his birthday, we were planning to take him out for dinner. I was able to work with the local Tesla store, and they loaned me a Model S for the evening, so I could pick up my father and take him to/from the restaurant.

It was the only chance he had to ride in a Tesla - and that made his birthday dinner even more special - for the last birthday he was able to go out for dinner.

The local Tesla staff were fantastic in making the experience possible.