Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giving Uber & Lyft Rides In My Model 3 (Reactions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving in Omaha 99.9% of people have never seen a Tesla. Here are some reactions and results I got after 17 rides this last week.

Model 3
Rides - 17
Tips - 9 (53% of rides)
Average Tip - $2.12/ride ($36 total)

2011 Lexus IS - Last 50 rides
Rides - 50
Tips - 17 (34% of rides)
Average Tip - $1.18/ride ($59 total)

1. How do I open the door?
2. Why are you using this with Uber?
3. These white seats are awesome?
4. I heard of Tesla but have never seen one.
5. Can I take a picture of it?

I drove Uber for 6 months during the winter months in Ohio. At least 95% of riders never heard of Tesla or that there was such thing as an electric car that looked so nice, made in USA, never uses any gas and drive long distance for free. Nearly everybody wanted to own one, until the heard the price. Even used (CPO) at $50K was a big

stretch for most buyers. I did find it interesting that people were Ok spending that amount of money on a truck, but not a car. It will be interesting to see how the truck buying public will react to the Tesla pick-up.

It was a good learning experience for all of my riders. It was a great way to introduce them to the electric car possibilities.

I liked the video and it was fun to watch and love that you are exposing more people to Tesla but strongly feel that showing driving the car on EAP without your hands on the wheel is contra-indicated by Tesla and the Manual and just perpetuates the feeling some people have that you can drive it that way. I have had a few people say "oh you can drive that hands free" and they seem surprised when I tell them no, it's not self-driving yet. Personally I would edit that segment out.

While driving Uber, I was amazed by the number of people that got into my car and never even looked up from their phones to see what they were riding in. There were trips where some riders slept or looked out the window, barely interested in making conversation. I only drove from 8-5 M-F which eliminated most of the drunks. Once a rider started to ask questions, then their focus changed. Most struggled with the concept of not ever buying gas. Most people don't really know how many miles per day they really drive, so the "how far can you go on a charge" discussion became very enlightening for them. They average driver travels about 35 miles per day here in the "mid-west". I would tell them to imagine only charging once per week or plug in every night and ever worry about not making it around town the next day.

My wife still drives an ICE only because she can't imagine not buying cheap gas from all of her Kroger grocery points. She would say " What will I do with all of the points?"

It's really not that expensive when you figure the money you save. It only cost me $7 to go 300 miles.
It's a fun vehicle to let people experience.
Uber is my hobby.
People aren't used to factoring that into their mental math.

While driving Uber, I was amazed by the number of people that got into my car and never even looked up from their phones to see what they were riding in. There were trips where some riders slept or looked out the window, barely interested in making conversation. I only drove from 8-5 M-F which eliminated most of the drunks. Once a rider started to ask questions, then their focus changed. Most struggled with the concept of not ever buying gas. Most people don't really know how many miles per day they really drive, so the "how far can you go on a charge" discussion became very enlightening for them. They average driver travels about 35 miles per day here in the "mid-west". I would tell them to imagine only charging once per week or plug in every night and ever worry about not making it around town the next day.

My wife still drives an ICE only because she can't imagine not buying cheap gas from all of her Kroger grocery points. She would say " What will I do with all of the points?"
So many also cling to the idea that they need to be able to just go drive across country at a moment's notice, even though they never will. Yeah, a 10 hour trip will take me 11 because of charging times, but I save 20+ minutes a week by not stopping at gas stations. I'm not math wiz, but I'm pretty sure I am doing better over that year.

Reactions: ZoomDoggie
Have you read your Vehicle Purchase Agreement to determine whether you have the right to Uber / Lyft or not?

Have you checked with your motor vehicle insurance to see if you could be covered if you did?

Do you have an personal assets you wish to preserve in the event you injure anyone while driving?

Have you checked the supercharger agreemeent to see if you could charge locally in the event you required charging during the day.

If the answer to all of those is not Yes - then you really need to make sure you have a Yes to all of them before you drive anyone anywhere for compensation.

I'm fairly certain that Tesla reserves the right to perform ride sharing service with your vehicle and you do not have that right under the vehicle purchase agreement. Thus - they could replevin the vehicle if you do, , ,

Last edited:
@comanchepilot .

Your points about liability are important and as a non-Uber/Lyft driver I would like to think there is liability insurance involved. Other insurance I would discuss with my own insurance company, and if I REALLY meant to make a go of this a simple LLC or something to sequester activities/assets.

I'd have to check the supercharger TOS to see if it's use is valid with a business enterprise. Off the cuff I would suspect if I pay my fees (as a non-P 3 buyer) then it's only up to me how I am using my purchased electricity. How many folks drive their car for work after all. That is business.

Where I'm lost is the implication that Tesla would have any 'ownership' interest in my car after I pay for it. I see absolutely nothing in my newly arrived MVPA that implies I am merely licensing the car (like an e-book vs. paper book) from Tesla or that they own any interest in it whatsoever. Nor do I fathom how they could possibly 'reserve the right to perform ride sharing with your vehicle'. Point is it that it IS my vehicle. Ford and BMW don't have the right to dictate how I use my cars--or retain any rights to or use of the car. Replevin refers to restoration of private property to the owner pending a final determination/outcome (ie return of seized property until a court case is finished). The car is my private property once I buy it. Not Tesla's.

I am very curious why you would think this...it would be very relevant to a car purchase if it was like licensing an e-book vs. buying a paper book and owning it outright....

Reactions: Heynow999
@ZoomDoggie I'm trying to remember where I saw it - maybe it was in a day of sale document. I looked at our paperwork and did not see it - I know I saw it somewhere. Tesla reserved the rights to commercial use of your vehicle for its program . . . .

But - there is a ban on using Supercharging for commercial purposes. Period. There is no exception for supercharging you pay for.. . that is in the Supercharging Fair Use policy. Even if you pay for the power yourself, you're still using a spot on what they consider a regular basis for commercial purposes . . .

I've never read the TOS for the supercharger, but I can understand that from their perspective.

I could not find anything about them being able to retain any rights...could it have been a hit piece type article? This is the first I've ever seen anything like that and it is so against a fair use of personal property. Not like a lease or licensing fee type situation, but one where I put down my money and buy it, complete with title (credit union lien aside).

If you (or anyone else) can find this I'd be VERY interested.