Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giving up my M6 tomorrow for p90d. having remorse help ease my mind!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not specifically M6 related but...

Borrowed a friend's BMW X a few weekends ago. (Actually she borrowed my pickup truck and left her X5 with me.) I've had a couple BMW's in the past, but none recently with the new entertainment/nav/control system.

Holy f*** confusing! The BMW controls and displays were so un-intuitive. And the little screen for the nav and nav diagrams were garbage compared to the MS.

So this past week her husband borrows the truck again and leaves a Mercedes C class. Was not impressed compared to the MS. And what's the point of having paddle shifters if it defaults back to automatic when you rev high and don't upshift! At least the entertainment/nav controls were better than the BMW ;-)

I've owned over 25 cars so far and driven 100+ different models, years all over the world including Lada (a *sugar* box) from Russia.

Nothing comes close to a Tesla what so ever for its intuitive, modern driving experience.

Reactions: idoco
Unless you were tracking the M6, I highly doubt you will miss it. Not that it's the same but I traded a Dinan 535i on the P85D and haven't ever given another thought to the BMW (which I really liked). I recently picked up a GT4 to have something that is nearly the total opposite of the Tesla and for track use. But I still drive the Tesla far, far more.

My deposit is still with Porsche for my GT4 order which I gave up almost 6 month ago!!! I am ready to sell my E92 M3 when i can have hands on GT4!!

You are a lucky person to own one!!

At first you will hate your Tesla because it will take the veil from your eyes and reveal that everything you thought about cars
up until now was an illusion -- nothing but a mirage. Then you will love your Tesla, as you realize that it, and only it, reveals
the automotive Truth. You will then sell all of your belongings, cash in your kids' 529 plans, and sink everything into TSLA. ;););)

WHAT are you doing ????? Why trade in the M6, you get to go to convenience stores and get candy bars AND coffee at the same stop.
We electric drivers have to go out of our way to do that ! YOU got to smell the sweet scent of gasoline EVERY time you pumped. We electric drivers have to rent a car to do that or look creepy trying to get a whiff of it when others fill up !! YOU got to hear the roar of an engine while we electric owners have to hear the sounds of nature as we drive down the road or the music we play without ANY other engine roaring sounds, DAMN !!! YOU got to worry of whether or not a gas station is open or not at 2am in the morning while electric drivers have no such drama, the electricity is always running !!!! MAN you missed out on those experiences, maybe you will trade this car in and get a Hummer to satisfy those needs........

You'll be surprised at how quickly you begin to think: "why did I like those so much?".

I now look at fossil cars as incredibly primitive. Except maybe an Aston... But even then, I always hesitate at the idea of gas. I've been thinking lately about what's next. Not that there is a next in my plan. But I always think about it. And I simply cannot think of any other car that I would want as my main vehicle. Except, perhaps an X. But my S holds longer stuff! I could put my dogs in the X. That's it!

Seriously though. Every time I think of what I would want as the ultimate car, this one does for me.

Though it would be fun to have one of the new little sexy Miata's for darting around.:rolleyes:

So I have a 2 yr old M6 gran coupe loaded to the gills and I love driving it. I am having someone take over my lease (picking it up tomorrow). And I have an inventory p90d, also fully loaded, on the way to Florida as we speak. However I have never owned a tesla and I am having remorse about letting go of my M6 all of the sudden. If I loved it maybe I shouldn't have let it go? Someone help me feel at peace with my decision! Please?

I have a neighbor 3 houses away who owns a white P85D (not upgraded to Ludicrous) and a blue M6. I never see the M6 leave his driveway but the P85D is always in and out. He drives 75 MPH on a rural 35 MPH zone. i.e. he drives like your typical BMW owner (sorry no offense intended). I spoke with him once and he was already keenly aware the M6 was faster than his P85D at freeway speeds, but he still preferred the driving experience of the Tesla.

If the P90D doesn't have the Ludicrous option, you'll soon figure out that 70-90 passing is not quite as fast as the M6. Fortunately you add Ludicrous as a software update for $10K after the fact and that brings it more in line with the M6's passing speed. On a battery charged to 90% or greater and warm enough, Insane = 463 hp while Ludicrous is 532 hp. Both numbers at the motors shafts. However, the good news is that the AWD tesla only loses 10% from motor shafts to wheels which is basically half of what typical AWD ICE cars lose.

Also, if you're a stop light to stop light driver, the P90D will kill almost anything else on the road up to 60 MPH. Even just Insane is way faster up to that speed than any sedan.

I sold my '14 M5 for our tesla and regretted it for the first week or two. I missed the exhaust and paddle shifting but quickly started to love the instant power of electric. Now it doesn't bother me as much and I definitely don't miss the frequent gas station trips.

It also helps that I still have my e93 M3 to drive around when I feel the need for ICE.

Can't speak for M6 but I kept my E92 M3. I think you still need a vehicle that you can actually drive to fulfill your awesomeness if you are able.
I don't expect many people here on TMC to understand driving enjoyment that some of appreciate.

Not saying Tesla isn't fun, but you know what I mean....

Finally someone who's a REAL car enthusiast. I got the Tesla for the wife and will not get rid of the E92 M3 for some time- crossing fingers my bearings don't fail. Taking a car on the track is a whole new level of awesomeness most people will never do.
For every day driving, nothing will beat the Tesla for the push in the back for the 2-3 seconds you can floor it before you're at go to jail speeds... but that gets old real quick in terms of driving enjoyment, IMO.

The lease on my F10 M5 ended in November of '15 and we picked up a P85+ in April just to give it a try. That was my 3rd M5 and 5th M car. Drive a Sierra Denali HD through the Michigan winters. So, I can say that I do still miss my M5, however they really are two different experiences. As an all-around car, the M5 (and M6GC) are clear winners to me. The engineering, fit and finish and comfort are just better than the Tesla. I know, posting that on a Tesla board will most likely get me some incoming fire, but my opinion.

However, as far as unique, efficient and cutting edge, the Tesla wins over the M5/M6 cousins. As a co-worker says, the Tesla has a "Bang-pow" factor and the M5 just kind of blends in with the crowd. Only 2-3% of people really get the prestige of the M cars - but a lot more see the Tesla as something special. Short story is, they are both something special.

I have been an M5 fanatic for quite a while now. The Tesla has been a great experience and time will tell if, in about a year, I am placing my order for a P100DL or placing an order for the next generation M5. I don't know the answer yet, but I can tell you that I am enjoying the Tesla as much as the M5 - just in different ways. Do I miss my M5? Yes, but not enough to make me sell my current MS.

So I have a 2 yr old M6 gran coupe loaded to the gills and I love driving it. I am having someone take over my lease (picking it up tomorrow). And I have an inventory p90d, also fully loaded, on the way to Florida as we speak. However I have never owned a tesla and I am having remorse about letting go of my M6 all of the sudden. If I loved it maybe I shouldn't have let it go? Someone help me feel at peace with my decision! Please?

I traded in my 8 month old 2013 M5 on my first Model S P85+. No regrets. The other cars seem sort of "ordinary" now...

Mike

i gave up my m6 when they did away with the V10's having a turbo charged suv engine isn't the same thing .. however you should feel better knowing you won't have to add oil to the oil cooler every 800 or so miles

Finally someone who's a REAL car enthusiast. I got the Tesla for the wife and will not get rid of the E92 M3 for some time- crossing fingers my bearings don't fail. Taking a car on the track is a whole new level of awesomeness most people will never do.
For every day driving, nothing will beat the Tesla for the push in the back for the 2-3 seconds you can floor it before you're at go to jail speeds... but that gets old real quick in terms of driving enjoyment, IMO.

The S is not a track car. Street cars make lousy track cars and track cars make lousy street cars (same is true with motorcycles). The model S is a great (the best IMO) street car.