Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gizmag test drives the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SUVs; Protecting your children or poisoning your grandchildren?

This is the first time I saw this signature, and I know this post doesn't belong in this thread, but I have to take exception to it, only because it's glossing over 'The Great Stupidity of the American SUV Movement'.

Someone in an SUV is more likely to die, on a per-registered-vehicle risk rate, than someone in a sedan. It's a quirky measure, but I think is very relevant to this quote. And while an SUV can come out ahead in some measures (notably, the perennial favorite deaths/PPM), it's not always true (e.g., in mountain states, by most measures, SUVs come out behind). Same is true for an interesting set of age groups (e.g., <30).

Part of the equation is that most drivers overestimate the risk coming from other drivers, and underestimate the risk coming from themselves (vis-a-vis the "'I can multitask/chat on the phone and you can't" phenomenon). SUVs pose a greater risk in the single-vehicle incident category of accidents.

I think that, when not calculated wells-to-wheel (yes, a mis-application of the term), SUVs and passenger sedans can sometimes be fairly comparable, deaths/PPM-wise. But if increased air pollution, increased funding of terrorism (~$.90/gal), future globe health and stability are taken into account, when a true wells-to-wheel comparison of PPM death rates is actually done, I think that the statement should actually be "Endangering your children and poisoning theirs".

Sorry to be so pedantic (and I know that the sig was meant to dis on SUVs), but the whole notion that SUVs are in any real way safer than passenger cars just totally pisses me off.