TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Glad I didn't wait

Discussion in 'Model S' started by YauKwan, Jul 28, 2017.

1. YauKwan

YauKwan Member

I was one of those owners who originally was in the model 3 camp and decided to not wait and get a model s on the low end.

I'm so glad I didn't wait. Not that the model 3 is not a great vehicle. I just still feel that after tonight's reveal that the S is still a much better car.

In addition to not having to wait and driving the best car on the road today. The options I would have added to the 3 to make it a car I would like bumps up the price to nearly model s territory.

I'll still pickup a 3 as a second car especially if the federal rebate is still available. But I'm so glad I didn't wait.

• Like x 7
    • Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. MasterT

MasterT Member

After the official reveal, I felt similarly, but watching test rides showed that Model 3 is a very very nicely done. Even the base model is very nice.

• Like x 3
  3. Tiger

Tiger Member

If you can afford an S/X and need the space, go for it. If you want the safest medium size car, get M3.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. pfosse

pfosse Member

So glad I waited. Get a great car for half the price of the S. Don't need the room.

• Helpful x 1
  5. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

I am very pleased with my decision. Nothing against the model 3, but I live on the east coast, so I'd want the D model 3, which appears will cost around 50k with the premium package and EAP. I am assuming the D model will be 5k more and you won't be forced to upgrade to the largest range(for 9k more) which I don't really need. That becomes 42k after rebates. I ended up with a practically brand new CPO 2015 85D this past January for 71k. So basically for 30k more I got better range, nicer interior, the car when I want it without waiting 2 more years and most important, a larger sedan which was the most important factor since we have 2 small kids. Coming from a 328, the model 3 would have been too much of a lateral move from a sizing perspective.

Everyone has different requirements and budgets. Like mentioned above, besides price, space is the biggest differentiator between the 3 and S.

• Like x 3
  6. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

#6 deonb, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Speaking of a tough crowd - how on earth did the OP deserve a "disagree" on his post?

Calling @gowthamn.

Please explain your line of thinking. I'm very curious.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  7. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

My situation exactly.
    Reserved day 1, couldn't wait, got a S75D, loving every minute.
    Even worse, here in Australia the estimated delivery for the 3 is 2019!

• Like x 2
  8. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Simple... you either want a 3 series or 7 series. Both great cars, but which one fits your lifestyle and budget.

Great job Tesla on adding another beautiful car to your lineup!

• Like x 2
  9. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

The dislike was for calling the MS the best car in the road.

10. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

@denob
    There will always be hater on the internet so expect disagree here and there.

Back to the topic at hand. I think my model s resale value has gone up after the event. A comparable model 3 to my AWD model s will cost around $60K and be delivered in late 2018. There is no way i am will to wait that long for a pricy inferior car to my model s. So i am in the camp that is glad I snatched up the model s when I did.

• Like x 2