TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Glare from passenger side mirror?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Robecology, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Robecology

Robecology Member

Anyone else notice a glare of light from the passenger side mirror? I'm guessing a little extra dark solar film on that little square will do the trick; but I'd like to hear other ideas.

2. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

No, have not noticed anything abnormal.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

haven't noticed that, but once or twice, when the sun was at just the precise angle behind me, that I had a brutal glare off of the chrome bezel around the dash display. Just a quirk of the sun angle, but it's flat enough that it was pretty horrible to deal with for a few minutes.

4. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Agreed. I plan to brush flat black on the 17in screen bezel, at least on the bottom. Also hit the *driver's* mirror with flat black spray from the driver's eye angle.
    --

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I have that almost every day since about May. Can't wait for winter when the sun will be at a different angle when I go home.

6. lloyds

lloyds Member

Sounds like you are seeing the glare coming from the coating on the mirrors.

7. tbleakne

tbleakne Member

Glare off interior chrome trim

At certain sun angles I am finding glare off the interior chrome trim quite annoying. It has interfered with reading the bottom lines of both the steering wheel display and the center console, as well as checking the passenger side-view mirror. I am open to any suggestions that look decent and don't cause negative reactions from passengers. This problem has become a safety concern for me, and so for the moment I have covered the offending trim with dark, easily removable painter's masking tape. It looks quite ugly but it works.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I've never experienced that issue. But then I always use polarized sunglasses when driving during the day unless it is a very overcast and cloudy.

If you don't use polarized sunglasses, I recommend you try some. A good pair really cuts the glare and makes driving safer and more enjoyable.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Try Plasti Dip. They have a variety of coatings.

10. green1

green1 Active Member

I know some people have coated their exterior chrome with flat-black, or better yet, carbon-fibre wraps. looks great, I don't see why the same wouldn't look good inside (especially if you have the cf trim already)

11. trigga71

trigga71 Member

I get it from the driver's and passenger's mirror. I was either going to wrap them or plasti dip both

12. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I tinted all my windows to reduce any sun glare or bright headlight issues. It might be illegal, but it makes a world of a difference and I'd rather pay a small fine than risk being blinded by the sun or high beams or high output halogens from modified trucks. I simply find that driving without tint is too dangerous. And that goes for any vehicle.