Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just scheduled this. I need the trunk camera sheath repair so I figured I'd ask Tesla service what it would cost since they'd be coming out anyway. The labor came out to $25.50 ($12.75 ea) so I couldn't see a reason to just buy the parts and do it myself. That's in the Fremont area. The parts are $143, vs $124 on eBay for something of questionable origin. So it's $63 more than DIY.

I'm way past warranty and side view camera was never a promised feature, so I won't even go there for the defect complaint. Considering that my Model 3 is almost five years old (VIN 55x) I've spent remarkably little on anything. It's this, tires, washer fluid and air filters.

i got the OEM cameras on ebay for $80 each shipped. not questionable at all.

you just have to look around.

I did look around and don't see them for that price now, but the ones I do see are "New (other)" making them questionable and not in a factory sealed box. I suppose that if somebody really wants to spend the time and monitor eBay regularly for weeks or months until they show up, they could beat the price. Since Tesla is the only legitimate supplier, I don't expect people to sell them for a lot less than others are selling them for, since ones in factory sealed boxes could fetch a premium compared to what's there now. I'd still go with Tesla, where the parts and installation are guaranteed, and Tesla will fix it if it fails.

Reactions: richyrich
Only been a M3 owner for 3 months with 2020 SR+ and started to notice the repeater glare now that I am doing more night time driving. Been quoted £293 to replace both sides with -J versions.

Does this seem a good price? Was hoping it would be covered under warranty but told due to the build date of the car it’s expected behaviour.

Only been a M3 owner for 3 months with 2020 SR+ and started to notice the repeater glare now that I am doing more night time driving. Been quoted £293 to replace both sides with -J versions.

Does this seem a good price? Was hoping it would be covered under warranty but told due to the build date of the car it’s expected behaviour.
Seeing as the repeater cameras themselves are over £100 + VAT each, that seems a good deal to me.

lol, you know this was one of the few things that stuck out to me. Given the reliant on cameras, I was surprised when I saw the blinkers making it hard to figure out the heck is happening on the camera at night. It wasn't as bad on the MY but when we had the loaner 3, it was borderline unusable.

So i asked about this to my local SC and they are coming to fix this on Thursday under warranty. I just told them it was hard to see specially when it’s raining. I do a lot of night driving and the SC didn’t really say anything else. Also the repair estimate mentions something about a firmware update to fix taillight functionality. Wonder what that’s about..
If anyone is interested, the parts they ordered are
LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA -
LEFT HAND (1495864-
20-D)

LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA (RH)(1495865-20-D)

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
So i asked about this to my local SC and they are coming to fix this on Thursday under warranty. I just told them it was hard to see specially when it’s raining. I do a lot of night driving and the SC didn’t really say anything else. Also the repair estimate mentions something about a firmware update to fix taillight functionality. Wonder what that’s about..
If anyone is interested, the parts they ordered are
LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA -
LEFT HAND (1495864-
20-D)

LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA (RH)(1495865-20-D)
Please confirm after the repair that it was indeed covered by warranty. Most people have been unable to get them fixed under warranty, myself included.

Reactions: mcirish
Um. Back in February of 2022, shortly after the rear-facing side cameras became a thing, I noticed that there was all this glare at night. Put up a Service Ticket with pictures and all. Was told that was normal. I complained right back and said it was difficult to use them at night, not to mention that I was worried about the glare’s effects on FSD, which had been purchased the previous year.

They responded that they would replace them with non-glare types, but it would be my nickel. Sigh: told them to go ahead.

In due time a mobile tech showed and did the work, took him about 20 minutes, half of that trying to upgrade the car’s software, which was up to date anyway. Result: a little glare, but not enough to worry about.

A week or so later realized that I hadn’t seen a charge on the credit card. Pulled up the invoice and looked at it carefully: no charge.

So, sometimes they charge, sometimes they don’t.

Just so we’re clear: there are some do-it-yourself instructions on the forum where, if one wants to cheap out and has tools, a bit of work with a ruler, a small drill, some black paint, and some rubbery goop/sealant can fix the problem. Or it’s a couple hundred bucks for newish parts, either from Tesla or a junkyard. It’s not that hard to get the lights off.

Please confirm after the repair that it was indeed covered by warranty. Most people have been unable to get them fixed under warranty, myself included.
So today the service tech came over and replaced both side repeaters and all covered under "good will service". No more glare from blinkers and the camera image quality is way better than before too. Lynnwood WA service center btw

Reactions: alexcue and DanDi58
What year model is your car? SC just told me it's not covered under warranty.
This has never been a warranty item. Side camera display was never advertised as a feature of the car until after the cameras were fixed in production cars.

Look around and people have tried for years but having success is very rare, and quite reasonably so.

And I say this as someone that has sued Tesla over updates. But this is not one of those cases.

The only we way this is warranty is if you can prove it impacts FSD from working.

Reactions: sjsharks33