Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mine replaced at the SC, bill was $350-ish. Not too bad for two cameras plus installation.
yup it's actually not bad of a price for the upgrade. I was ready to make the payment for it too before they said it was covered under warranty. I believe you can find those cameras on eBay for around $100 but for the peace of mind and knowing it's gonna be covered under warranty $350 is not bad. Plus they come to your house

Following up on my earlier post, I just did the glare fix on my left side camera after doing the right camera last week, but this time I drilled the holes in slightly different locations than what @Tevo Solutions originally recommended.

Instead of drilling the two holes 3mm and 23mm from the inner edge of the front tab, I shifted both holes 4mm towards the middle — so 7mm and 19mm from the tab. This made it quite a bit easier for me to get the sealant in the right places.

View attachment 810599

Tools/materials I used:
  • A Dremel with a fine-tipped bit to accurately drill the pilot holes. (A small regular drill bit would've worked too.)
  • A 3/16” drill bit to widen the holes
  • Black “liquid electrical tape” as the sealant
  • A toothpick to apply the sealant
  • J-B Weld KwikWeld epoxy to fill the holes
One other note: I found it difficult to remove the larger of the two connectors from the repeater when removing it from the car. I couldn’t push hard enough on the release tab to get it to budge, and I ended up breaking a bit of plastic off the repeater-side connector on on the right side repeater when trying to pull it off. (Weak thumbs, I guess.) So on the left side repeater I used a pair of pliers to help push in the release tab, and that worked better for me.

I am doing this right now. So far your instructions worked for me.

Now I am debating what the best way to fill the holes is. I have permatex black silicone and gorillaweld 2part adhesive.

Decided to take a different approach then the drilling. I was going to replace the repeater covers to the ribbed version anyways so I removed them and made a triangle cut with a hot knife like this

crack_opened.png

After cleaning up the cut and sealing the camera and the LED I epoxied the triangle piece back

sealed.png

Few additional photos

led.png

camera.png

My DIY hot knife for 40W solder iron hehe

knife.png

Reactions: gearchruncher
@bnone - Thanks so much for this idea! I had tried to do one camera the old way with the drilled holes on the backside with not a lot of success- getting stuff injected in the right places was hard.

Realizing that I could remove the chrome cap, go in that way, and then use the cap to cover it back up? Genius. Did both my cameras and they are perfect now and you can't even tell they have been modified because there's no modifications to any visible parts even if they are out of the car.

To throw in my own improvement: I used a black plastic bag and cut it up and shoved it in-between the light pipe and the camera. This allows you to see that you're actually fixing it in real time, and is much easier and more reliable than trying to get goop in the right places (but not wrong places). Using this I literally got down to zero bleed at all.

Oh, and there's really nothing to hit when you cut in the areas shown in their photos. I used a dremel just fine, and it's OK if it goes into the housing some as you're cutting.

Throw the cameras in an oven at about 175F for half an hour to make peeling the chrome cap off easy.

Reactions: bnone
Some of these updated camera modules are going for around $70 on ebay if anyone is interested
If you have a pre-2021 car with the chrome trim, these newer cameras don't have the chrome cover, which you'd have to buy from Tesla additionally, or be OK with the black camera.

Be very careful buying off ebay- you damage the camera removing it unless you have paid attention on how to remove them, and 95% of the cameras on ebay have damaged mounting tabs. Even Tesla considers these a "one time use" part. Make sure you look at the pictures carefully. It is totally possible to remove them without damage in under 5 minutes.

I actually don't even follow those instructions. Pop open the fender liner as shown, stick your hand in there, undo the two lower clips, and then tilt the assembly out and down. I've never needed to do the initial tape / press down step.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: mcirish and Durzel
Yeah car breakers are just going to pull these out from the front, which is all but guaranteed to break the tabs. Even the Tesla ranger who replaced mine advised me that they would probably break, and he managed to get one of the two out without breaking the tabs.

• Informative
Reactions: mcirish
Yeah car breakers are just going to pull these out from the front, which is all but guaranteed to break the tabs. Even the Tesla ranger who replaced mine advised me that they would probably break, and he managed to get one of the two out without breaking the tabs.
The mobile service tech who replaced mine broke both tabs during my upgrade. I told him ahead of time that I wanted to keep the old ones with intent to repair and resell. He couldn't promise they wouldn't brake and he failed in that attempt. Seems he was trained only to go in from the back if they don't pop out from prying at the front. Lesson learned: Release tabs from the back if you want to remove without breaking them.

Reactions: Durzel
The mobile service tech who replaced mine broke both tabs during my upgrade. I told him ahead of time that I wanted to keep the old ones with intent to repair and resell. He couldn't promise they wouldn't brake and he failed in that attempt. Seems he was trained only to go in from the back if they don't pop out from prying at the front. Lesson learned: Release tabs from the back if you want to remove without breaking them.
The tabs are super easy to break (I broke one when removing for PPF, superglued it back) and it takes a bit of skill to release them from the back without breaking them, given you do it mostly by feel. Once you figure out how to do it though, you sort of get the hang of it and can repeatedly do it (so the guys for example that do PPF likely can easily do it).

• Informative
Reactions: mcirish
In a hindsight I feel there was no need to pull the repeater out at all, honestly. Would just protected the paint with some alu foil and use a hair dryer to soften the glue on the trim piece. And probably use a bit more cover and caution when cutting out the hole with a dremel.

In a hindsight I feel there was no need to pull the repeater out at all, honestly. Would just protected the paint with some alu foil and use a hair dryer to soften the glue on the trim piece. And probably use a bit more cover and caution when cutting out the hole with a dremel.
While that works I would much prefer the enclose cut on the Inside of fender vs outside that gets pressure blasted with rain while driving. Just an opinion.

Decided to take a different approach then the drilling. I was going to replace the repeater covers to the ribbed version anyways so I removed them and made a triangle cut with a hot knife like this

View attachment 979014

After cleaning up the cut and sealing the camera and the LED I epoxied the triangle piece back

View attachment 979016

Few additional photos

View attachment 979020

View attachment 979021

My DIY hot knife for 40W solder iron hehe

View attachment 979022
IMO, most people would not want to try this method given ANY other alternative. I suppose it will be a good conversation starter though.

• Disagree
Reactions: gearchruncher
IMO, most people would not want to try this method given ANY other alternative.
I had 3 alternatives and this by far was the fastest, cheapest, and most effective way for me. I've tried 2 other methods and neither worked as well.

But yeah, let's be honest, 99% of people would rather spend money and throw the old stuff out than DIY, but that's not unique to this situation.

Reactions: bnone
In a hindsight I feel there was no need to pull the repeater out at all, honestly. Would just protected the paint with some alu foil and use a hair dryer to soften the glue on the trim piece.
Oh geez, that's genius. I can't believe I didn't think of that. If you've done it once or twice, you could actually do this repair right on car in under 10 minutes.

While that works I would much prefer the enclose cut on the Inside of fender vs outside that gets pressure blasted with rain while driving.
The previous method had a hole in the top of the camera housing, which you could basically see from outside the car because it was right up against the fender. Plenty of water got on there. If you're not sealing any of these methods well when you're done, you have a problem no matter what.

The genius of this is that you remove a large cover from the area, cut a hole, then seal that hole, then seal over the sealed hole with the cover. You have two layers of protection vs one.

Personally, I silicone'd the whole cover back on. I'm much more confident that this ends up watertight than the previous method.

I had 3 alternatives and this by far was the fastest, cheapest, and most effective way for me. I've tried 2 other methods and neither worked as well.

But yeah, let's be honest, 99% of people would rather spend money and throw the old stuff out than DIY, but that's not unique to this situation.
My mistake, I didn't realize this would be covered up by the old style chrome piece.