Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been 3 possible paths suggested for remedying this issue:

1. Free replacement with newer style repeater cameras.
2. Replacement but not for free.
3. Software update.

Option 1 is obviously the preferred option but I don't see this happening. Option 2 would be a user request.

A software update could consist either of a filter (doubtful), a partial mask of the upper pixels in the camera field or discarding video frames only when the signal is lit. The last option could result in stuttery video unless the repeater unit LED is limited to a shorter lit duration. I don't know if that the LED's lit duration is either determined by software or relay driven, but someone here must know.

There's a 4th possible option that would consist of a plastic shroud that would fit over the repeater unit LED and shield the camera from the glare.

I like the blind spot cameras, even when they flash orange at night. For those thinking about this, does anyone find that the image resides behind their normal hand position on the steering wheel? When I look down to see the camera view, my hand/arm is usually in the way.

Reactions: laservet
I have limited experience with v11 but this glare effect seemed to be intermittent. I assumed it was related to condensation since it seemed to go away over time.

There is the external lens cover. I assume there is an air gap and then the camera sensor. I think the sensors get warm when in use (could be wrong) and that clears the condensation lens fog over time and temperature equalization.

It could be possible that some SW tweaking could be beneficial.

My car is one of the early 2021 models delivered late 2020 in EU (made in US). Both caleras had that glare effect when blinking the light and I kind of thought that is crap but took it as is. However, the camera on the left repeater “decided to die” some time ago and Tesla replace it in 5-10 minutes with a mobile service. Well, since then, the left one is super clear compared with right – only noticed some good time after the service I mentioned. With the latest controversial UI update and the functionality to display blind spot cameras this glare effect becomes annoying on the right side. I now have a mobile service appointment for Tesla to look at that camera as well.
The color of the car is Midnight Gray but I strongly believe the glare we experience has nothing to do with it. The light itself on the repeaters left vs right look slightly different if analyzed closely but not easy to catch it on a camera or so.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1