Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got response today for my service request essentially saying that's the older model and there's an updated part that I can pay for if I want them replaced as it's not a warranty issue/item. oh well.
I'm in the same boat, but since I have FSD I am going to wait it out. *IF* FSD ever makes it that far on my MY, I am pretty sure that this will be an issue for FSD and it will end up being a free update to fix that FSD issue when changing lanes. At least that is my plan. Prior to this update, it was a problem that I never knew that I had, so I am not going to drop $500 to replace them, I can wait it out...

Reactions: etorres and JBT66
I scheduled a service request to fix the red glare on the right turn signal and they wanted to charge me for a diagnostic in addition to the replacement. Mind you, my 2021 Tesla is still under warranty. See attached conversation.

Attachments

• Tesla exchange.jpg
    Tesla exchange.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 177
Here's a question. If I pay for the replacement
cameras @ ~$500 US, do I get to keep the original units?
You should, as long as you request it in advance. (Unless Tesla then lets you know that there is a core charge on the old cameras.)

Of course, you could just buy the parts outright, and then separately pay them to install them. (Or do it yourself.)

Reactions: jabloomf1230
You should, as long as you request it in advance. (Unless Tesla then lets you know that there is a core charge on the old cameras.)

Of course, you could just buy the parts outright, and then separately pay them to install them. (Or do it yourself.)
I looked up the State DMV regulations. I have to request any replaced parts in writing before the service. Warranty repairs are not covered (haha).

The cameras are about $125 each according to Dirtytesla who replaced one of his himself because he didn't want to wait for mobile service to come and do it. If that's true, you could replace them for about $220. They look pretty easy to replace:

When you plug the new camera in and test it, don't be surprised if initially it doesn't display. You need to plug it in then close the doors and lock the car for 5 minutes to reset everything, then when you come back it should work. Then carry out a camera calibration from the service menu.

So will buying the parts 1495865-20-C/1495864-20-C Off of eBay or something be a possible fix? My 2021 M3P is having the same issues and I don't want to fork $500 for the Service Center to replace them since this seems really easy to do manually. But do we know if all of the side cameras with these part numbers have the glare fix?

So will buying the parts 1495865-20-C/1495864-20-C Off of eBay or something be a possible fix? My 2021 M3P is having the same issues and I don't want to fork $500 for the Service Center to replace them since this seems really easy to do manually. But do we know if all of the side cameras with these part numbers have the glare fix?
Just buy new ones from Tesla if you're going to fit them yourself. You won't save that much money from ebay and most I've seen have been damaged in some way where they've been ripped out of the donor car.

Is there a definitive set of changes in the new cameras that make the upgrade worth it besides the glare issue?

And is there a way to order from Tesla online, or do I have to visit the SC? When I open EPC, it only lists parts - I don't see a way to order in that site?
Open a ticket via the app and enter in that you want the updated parts, they will contact you

Reactions: BreatheEasier
Just buy new ones from Tesla if you're going to fit them yourself. You won't save that much money from ebay and most I've seen have been damaged in some way where they've been ripped out of the donor car.
So I was just at my service center for another issue and the tech said they don't have the revised cameras yet. Do you know what part numbers have the fix?

Also when I asked in the app, they said they have to install it. You think I can just order them via the app and install myself then recalibrate?

Is there a definitive set of changes in the new cameras that make the upgrade worth it besides the glare issue?

And is there a way to order from Tesla online, or do I have to visit the SC? When I open EPC, it only lists parts - I don't see a way to order in that site?

I have a March 2020 Y and my wife has a Sept. 2021 M3. To me, there's a pretty big difference between the two. My Y has glare at night on both, the colors are a bit more orange during the day (looks more faded), and the refresh rate is slower (lag) vs my wife's M3 repeaters- clear, crisp, sharper colors, and no glare issue.

I thought about upgrading but I have FSD, so going to see if they will retrofit for free or discount down the line. It still works fine during the day and the glare at night doesn't bother me since I check my blind spot manually anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: laservet
So I was just at my service center for another issue and the tech said they don't have the revised cameras yet. Do you know what part numbers have the fix?

Also when I asked in the app, they said they have to install it. You think I can just order them via the app and install myself then recalibrate?
Are they saying they can't supply p/n 1495864-20-C/1495865-20-C?

I have a March 2020 Y and my wife has a Sept. 2021 M3. To me, there's a pretty big difference between the two. My Y has glare at night on both, the colors are a bit more orange during the day (looks more faded), and the refresh rate is slower (lag) vs my wife's M3 repeaters- clear, crisp, sharper colors, and no glare issue.

I thought about upgrading but I have FSD, so going to see if they will retrofit for free or discount down the line. It still works fine during the day and the glare at night doesn't bother me since I check my blind spot manually anyways.

I received the same at my service yesterday, $491 w/tax. I don’t drive at night often so not sure I’ll do it.

I will probably bite the bullet and pay. You are right about the colors being "off" If they later decide to fix them I'll deal with getting a credit back. Yeah, i know, good luck. I just do drive at night and will be for the next few months. I have FSD and hope the argument that they are affected will cause them to change there mind about these not being a warranty item. Appointment set for next Friday, but still no update on my Mobile Service.