Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting...I'm going to remove one of my current ones and check the part number, as it is unclear whether 1495864-20-C/1495865-20-C are the new part numbers, or what has been in the cars all along. My SC also is saying the new cameras are not available yet...so it sounds like there is another update coming?

I have this on only the passenger side (see photo with hazard on). Mobile service appt scheduled first week of Feb.
E3EC9375-4170-4D6C-B23A-27015D1B519D.jpeg

I bought the Suma wide angle mirror glass replacements back in 2020, so I have no blind spots even without the cameras. I find that showing the blind spot video on the screen provides no safety benefit during the day and is very distracting at night due to this issue. I just turned this option off.

I bought the Suma wide angle mirror glass replacements back in 2020, so I have no blind spots even without the cameras. I find that showing the blind spot video on the screen provides no safety benefit during the day and is very distracting at night due to this issue. I just turned this option off.

Wow, great idea! Going to get a set of these myself. Looks like the install is pretty easy too. Thank you!

Found a coupon code for 10% off- KARBON

Installation Video (video player shows live stream not available, just copy and paste to browser)-

youtu.be/wU0T-E4v1YU

• Informative
Reactions: JBT66 and alexcue
I don't know if they've made them a wider angle now but have the original wide angle Suma mirrors on two Model 3s and even with them I find I can't see everything. IMO It would be useful if the blind spot feature worked properly i.e. no glare and the position of the blind spot view higher up on the display.

These Suma mirrors have optional turn indicators in them. I wonder how hard it would be to wire those turn indicators to the blind spot warning system in the car? Any messages on the CAN bus about blind spot warnings that could be seen and used for this purpose? If so, perhaps somebody will create an interface that could do that. That is one potential way to get blind spot warnings in the mirrors...

I don't know if they've made them a wider angle now but have the original wide angle Suma mirrors on two Model 3s and even with them I find I can't see everything. IMO It would be useful if the blind spot feature worked properly i.e. no glare and the position of the blind spot view higher up on the display.
We use the Nxtgen Automotive extended view add-ons. $25 at Amazon. Based on testing on our 2022 MY (which has ridiculous side mirrors) they eliminate the (hatch/pillar) blindspot. We've only had them for three weeks so long-term durability is unknown.

This is a rather odd issue, but big picture, not a big deal. It does leave me wondering if my FSDBeta performance is degraded at night though, vs. a repeater that doesn't have this issue that looked to me like light bleed, at first.

For my Model 3, it seems to be a time of day dependent, and I'm frankly only now just starting to pay more attention to this, now that I found this thread and see that others have noticed this too. My repeater view can work fine at dusk, but poorly at night, see screenshot and video clips below. At night, it blows out/overexposes in hazy bright orange only the top half of the view, at least for my left repeater anyway. I I'll need to dig into more of my existing footage to find more examples, but I've seen this on my right repeater as well. I've also found footage indicating this happens whether I have FSDBeta engaged or not.

I'll also need to try out on my wife's 2020 Model 3 SR+ repeater camera views, perhaps hers are fine day and night.

Let's start with these two left turns/left blinker in the same car, here's the details:
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor (AWD) HW3 with FSDBeta (VIN 119,XXX mfg. Nov'18)
compare repeater big.jpg

Nighttime (top screenshot)
Dec 27 2021 at software 2021.44.25.6
(playback is cued to the right spot, just before the left blinker is turned on)

Dusk (bottom screenshot)
Jan 08 2022 at software 2021.44.25.6

Last edited:
Tesla mobile service replaced the right side repeater just now. He was able to process the repair as being under warranty after all so no cost to me.

Segment of invoice attached.View attachment 755712
Thanks for sharing - it's great to know that at least one SC is doing the replacement under warranty. And it look like in this case, the part number that ends in "D" is now available. I'm going to try again with my SC and see what they say...

Reactions: tinkererguy
Mine (M3 March 2018) looks really bad. Service center responded to my service request that it is normal. The flashing is so bright at night that it interferes with viewing the road even without glancing to the display. Will push again to get them replaced. Now I understand why they held off for so long to implement this, it's mostly not usable at night. Hell, I'd even accept a software switch that auto disables it at night so I'd get some good use out of the feature.

To add to this, even if they won't fix it under warranty, they should at least have offered the option to fix it if the owner is willing to pay for it.

Is this not a defective camera if it flashes pink at night?
When people see it, they think it's broken, because it is broken.

Why is this not an automatic warranty item. Not covering these types of warranty items is typical Tesla.

Tesla folks please respond. Sounds like most of the fleet is effected. Tesla is doing the wrong thing here, tell me if I'm wrong or right. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: kayak1
This is a rather odd issue, but big picture, not a big deal. It does leave me wondering if my FSDBeta performance is degraded at night though, vs. a repeater that doesn't have this issue that looked to me like light bleed, at first.

For my Model 3, it seems to be a time of day dependent, and I'm frankly only now just starting to pay more attention to this, now that I found this thread and see that others have noticed this too. My repeater view can work fine at dusk, but poorly at night, see screenshot and video clips below. At night, it blows out/overexposes in hazy bright orange only the top half of the view, at least for my left repeater anyway. I I'll need to dig into more of my existing footage to find more examples, but I've seen this on my right repeater as well. I've also found footage indicating this happens whether I have FSDBeta engaged or not.

I'll also need to try out on my wife's 2020 Model 3 SR+ repeater camera views, perhaps hers are fine day and night.

Let's start with these two left turns/left blinker in the same car, here's the details:
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor (AWD) HW3 with FSDBeta (VIN 119,XXX mfg. Nov'18)
View attachment 755726

Nighttime (top screenshot)
Dec 27 2021 at software 2021.44.25.6

Dusk (bottom screenshot)
Jan 08 2022 at software 2021.44.25.6
At night when it's propery dark the camera's gain is turned up which is why you don't see the issue at dusk. The internal light leak is not bright enough to show during day/dusk but at night with the gain up, the sensor is swamped by the blinker. The only sofftware fix I can imagine would be to lower the gain or blank the camera completely during the moments when the repeater LED is lit, but this would inevitably mean no vision for the driver or FSD in those moments and that can't be a good thing.

Reactions: tinkererguy