Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently waiting for a mobile service appointment on the 24th. Their initial reaction was that "this was normal". I told them right side was unusable at night and since left side is fine, this is not OK. They also said it could be replaced at my expense. They followed up by saying I may have received two different versions of the camera during manufacturing could I send pics. I did. So now waiting to see what their (new) assessment will be. My car is a MYLR5 delivered in Mar 2021.

Is this not a defective camera if it flashes pink at night?
When people see it, they think it's broken, because it is broken.

Why is this not an automatic warranty item. Not covering these types of warranty items is typical Tesla.

Tesla folks please respond. Sounds like most of the fleet is effected. Tesla is doing the wrong thing here, tell me if I'm wrong or right. Thanks
Simple question, why does nobody care about this? It's like my est. 700k existing cars in the US have this issue (a safety recall wold cost $275 mil).

It's broken. What is Tesla thinking, that people will not care or will not take the time via the Tesla App process? They make it hard to talk to local service over the phone.
Yes, this is the answer, they don't expect enough people to fight them on this one and paying $10 mil vs $280 mil is a win.

I think they count on people not caring or reporting or accepting the initial no. The business model is to keep pushing forward, if its messy, so be it, keep going forward. Might be the only approach that would get them this far. Amazing company, but to have to push to tell them a flashing pink screen blind spots video is a safety item and defective is less than perfect service.

I'm not happy they make people fight them on Safety items that are obviously defective and/or broken. Especially if you paid for FSD, folks have been waiting on Blind spots videos for years with the expectations that it was coming and would work at night.

Note: I'm posting this to help people who care about the flashing pink blind spot video at night and to help them will what to expect from Tesla service.

Last edited:
This issue is no doubt why Tesla dragged their feet for so many years before this token offering of some kind of blind spot monitoring function, I'm sure. They knew they were going to open a can of worms, with their shoddy camera designs (which I also have two of).

Wonder why they don't just label this a Beta function to cover up for their half-assed engineering, the same as they've done for the auto wipers, auto high beams, phantom braking, and moisture in the side pillar cameras. Unlike FSD where they are actually trying to do something no one else has done, all of these other functions are things a $20K car offers for free and functions flawlessly nowadays.

Reactions: JBT66 and iamnid
This issue is no doubt why Tesla dragged their feet for so many years before this token offering of some kind of blind spot monitoring function, I'm sure. They knew they were going to open a can of worms, with their shoddy camera designs (which I also have two of).

Wonder why they don't just label this a Beta function to cover up for their half-assed engineering, the same as they've done for the auto wipers, auto high beams, phantom braking, and moisture in the side pillar cameras. Unlike FSD where they are actually trying to do something no one else has done, all of these other functions are things a $20K car offers for free and functions flawlessly nowadays.
The autowipers, can't believe they can not have a variable lowest speed, this might be the worst thing about the car right now with the new UI. Thank goodness for waypoints, that was nice!!!

The autowipers, can't believe they can not have a variable lowest speed, this might be the worst thing about the car right now with the new UI. Thank goodness for waypoints, that was nice!!!
I don‘t know if it‘s the latest update, cold weather or a combination. I have to keep my auto wipers off mostly, any bright sunny blue bird day and the wipers are on over drive, typically torrential downpours they turn on only occasionally.

I don‘t know if it‘s the latest update, cold weather or a combination. I have to keep my auto wipers off mostly, any bright sunny blue bird day and the wipers are on over drive, typically torrential downpours they turn on only occasionally.
I had that issue last summer - got a mobile service app't and it turned out it was apparently bug marks or something that was obstructing the area with the cameras at the top of the windshield. Tech cleaned it thoroughly and they've been fine since. Whatever it wasn't wasn't being cleaned off by the wipers.

Reactions: dogmodes
Simple question, why does nobody care about this? It's like my est. 700k existing cars in the US have this issue (a safety recall wold cost $275 mil).

It's broken. What is Tesla thinking, that people will not care or will not take the time via the Tesla App process? They make it hard to talk to local service over the phone.
Yes, this is the answer, they don't expect enough people to fight them on this one and paying $10 mil vs $280 mil is a win.

I think they count on people not caring or reporting or accepting the initial no. The business model is to keep pushing forward, if its messy, so be it, keep going forward. Might be the only approach that would get them this far. Amazing company, but to have to push to tell them a flashing pink screen blind spots video is a safety item and defective is less than perfect service.

I'm not happy they make people fight them on Safety items that are obviously defective and/or broken. Especially if you paid for FSD, folks have been waiting on Blind spots videos for years with the expectations that it was coming and would work at night.

Note: I'm posting this to help people who care about the flashing pink blind spot video at night and to help them will what to expect from Tesla service.

have people been able to get them to cover it under warranty? i haven't tried yet, i just noticed the pink flashing the other night and for now have just turned the blind spot cameras off to "fix" the problem.

Reactions: israndy
I have an appointment scheduled for next Friday...guess I'll see what they say. I have the issue with both cameras. June 2020 build.

The bigger issue is that collision avoidance can't be working optimally at night using the side cameras alone with this issue. The glare would effectively cause the computer vision models to not detect an object/vehicle until the ultrasonic sensors detected it, which may be too late.

Wow, great idea! Going to get a set of these myself. Looks like the install is pretty easy too. Thank you!

Found a coupon code for 10% off- KARBON

Installation Video (video player shows live stream not available, just copy and paste to browser)-

youtu.be/wU0T-E4v1YU

Got the Suma performance side mirrors yesterday. I don't have auto-dimming, literally took less than 15 minutes to unplug the old mirrors, install the new ones, and restore/adjust positions.

Here are some pictures in case you're wondering what the differences are between the viewing angles.

Left Sideview Mirror-

OEM:
IMG_1177.jpeg

Suma Performance:
IMG_1180.jpeg

Right Sideview Mirror-

OEM:
IMG_1178.jpeg

Suma Performance:
IMG_1181.jpeg

Pretty big difference. Thanks @MY-Y for the info!

Reactions: MY-Y
I have an appointment scheduled for next Friday...guess I'll see what they say. I have the issue with both cameras. June 2020 build.

The bigger issue is that collision avoidance can't be working optimally at night using the side cameras alone with this issue. The glare would effectively cause the computer vision models to not detect an object/vehicle until the ultrasonic sensors detected it, which may be too late.
Collision avoidance will be working the same as always -- you just couldn't see what the camera could see before because it didn't show you that when you went to change lanes. The glare doesn't occur until the blinker is turned on and there are also side pillar cameras -- we don't know what they can see.

I have a model 3 from 2020 which has this glare issue. I have a 2021 Model Y which does NOT have this issue. Is it annoying? Yes. But it's hard to be really mad about something that didn't exist when we bought the cars. Tesla hacked together a blind spot camera when you change lanes... turns out the cameras (which were never designed for us to use as blind spot cameras) don't do a good job of this on older models due to the light bleeding from the blinker. Since it is a "feature" that didn't exist when we bought the car, we don't have a right to demand that Tesla "fixes" it since we can simply turn off that feature (which is off by default anyway) and we are back where we started.

That's pretty much how I feel about it, especially if they don't have an impact on the FSD capabilities. I trust that people will hold Tesla to account and if there is an issue I expect Tesla will fix it for everyone affected by it. But likely it's a non-issue

Got the Suma performance side mirrors yesterday. I don't have auto-dimming, literally took less than 15 minutes to unplug the old mirrors, install the new ones, and restore/adjust positions.

Here are some pictures in case you're wondering what the differences are between the viewing angles.

Left Sideview Mirror-

OEM:
View attachment 757439

Suma Performance:
View attachment 757441

Right Sideview Mirror-

OEM:
View attachment 757440

Suma Performance:
View attachment 757442

Pretty big difference. Thanks @MY-Y for the info!
Does the driver's side mirror also make objects seem further away than they really are?

June 2020 build here too, will replace if I pay so think I'll wait and see how things play out...