Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as the light bleed doesn't prevent the original use of the camera, for AP/FSD, then the design is fine. But how could we prove that the light bleed is causing problems for AP/FSD?
@MP3Mike, it seems to me that the cameras are used as safety equipment. The CEO of Tesla says that side mirrors are not even needed on their Cybertruck. Seems to me that this glare reduces or eliminates the safety that the cameras provide.

it seems to me that the cameras are used as safety equipment.
The vehicles were fully qualified to drive on the road without displaying these cameras at all. They shipped cars from 2016-2021 with cameras with no way for the user to see them. Clearly they are not safety equipment. Nothing like the MCU where backup cameras and heater controls are legally required.

If Tesla wants, they can just take this feature away for old cameras as their solution if people complain. They have no requirement to provide it, even if it might "increase" safety. Lots of things do that, it doesn't mean you have to provide it. You can't just use "safety" as a hammer to make anyone do anything you want.

Is all of this dumb on Tesla's part? Possibly. They would get a lot of good will selling people replacement cameras at cost (~$100 each) instead of at normal markup, but Tesla doesn't really work that way. They've made a lot of outright promises and even more suggestions in the past that have never come true, and it doesn't seem to bother them or impact their success, so why should they behave differently with something they hardly even mentioned in the past? (although Elon has been claiming a birds eye view coming soon for years now). It really was an unforced error on Tesla's part to do this though- they could have easily just claimed it wasn't possible on older cars. My 2017 Model X (MCU2/AP3) doesn't get this feature for completely unknown reasons even though the HW is capable. Tesla makes all sorts of weird decisions.

All of this changes if Autopilot can't perform with these cameras. But as long as it can, that's the only performance related to these cameras that Tesla ever talked about when selling these cars in the past. It will be interesting if someone can prove that AP is less performant on cars with the older cameras.

This feature was super obvious and asked about for years- can you now guess why they didn't make it an official feature until they had a HW fix? People that bought cars with this on the menu when they ordered would have a valid complaint, so they didn't put it in the SW until they had started shipping a HW fix on all new cars.

Last edited:
I see quite some people are trying your suggestion and they get different results. I wonder if the light pollution could also come from other sides of that camera/circuit board. For that reason I wonder if you can try maybe an alternative solution to fill the unit with some kind of opaque electrical resin. Someone suggested the same but of course, you cannot fill it completely as you do not want to cover the light pipe and the actual light window. But maybe there is that right angle and right amount to inject inside so that all camera/PCB is covered. As you have the unit dismantled, maybe is worth exploring another alterative. Advantage will be that the hole can be smaller, in a less sensitive spot and with the right resin to cover the entire area between camera and PCB so, a more or less guaranteed result. The “risk” I see is covering the space between the LED and the pipe light plastic.
I did see a small amount of glare coming in from one side after I fixed the first two on mine but not enough to be noticed unless the lens was taped over. It's possible of course that certain batches of cameras were made differently and let light in differently but it would take more research and experimentation to determine if there is a 100% successful method and there's a limit to the amount of time I can spend on this. Pouring more sealant or potting compound in there may be the answer but who knows what the long term effects of that might be without lots of testing on several cameras? I'm of course interested in seeing variations of this fix and I'm sure someone can improve on my attempts!

IMG_7372.jpg

Here's what I had to do. Drilled and dremeled a slit. Now I can see what to cover. I used black rtv because that's what I had. Also used to seal it back up. Not only a camera calibration is needed but the car has to power off and back on to recognize the camera again. BIG THANKS to Tevo Solutions for figuring this out! No more glare!

It took the NTSB threatening a non-voluntary recall of the MCU for safety reasons to get Tesla to do this. They pushed back hard. NTSB got to claim a safety defect as the MCU is used as the backup camera (legally required) and heater/defrost controls (also legally required).

The display of side cameras with blinkers on does not fit into any of this, and Tesla doesn't recall without being pressed. Tesla isn't even upgrading MCU1 to MCU2 for people with FSD even though FSD doesn't work on MCU1, so really doubtful they will recall for this.
there will be those who claim it is a safety issue (although I would not be among them). The brightness of the glow at night is enough to be seriously distracting. Of course I didn’t think the eMMC problem was a safety issue either but apparently I was wrong on that one. People will fight for it. Eventually they will give in if for no other reason than to stop the bad publicity.

The brightness of the glow at night is enough to be seriously distracting. Of course I didn’t think the eMMC problem was a safety issue either but apparently I was wrong on that one.
You can turn off the display of the side cameras. It's an option in a menu if you find it distracting. Which is exactly what Tesla will do if it becomes a "safety" issue.

There's nothing you can do if your MCU fails, and the MCU wear out is Tesla's own fault for crappy software. The fact that MCU1 is basically guaranteed to fail at every function that came with the car within 10 years is a major issue too, while this is only an additive function to the primary functions of a light and an autopilot camera.

Reactions: Durzel
Would tend to agree with the above. It’s only distracting if you allow it to be, by enabling the feature (that didn’t exist when you bought the car and wasn’t sold to you).

It IS annoying to use on an older car, though, simply because it behaves inconsistently. You could use it perfectly fine during the day, maybe even dusk, but once it gets dark the effectiveness of the feature diminishes rapidly and dramatically, and the distraction factor ramps up.

In effect it becomes the worst kind of feature to have - one that can only work for you in limited circumstances while others, who just happened to buy their car after the point at which Tesla discovered the design was flawed, get to use it unencumbered 24/7.

I’m not happy with a feature that I can only use practically for maybe 2/3 of the day, having to turn it off during the compromised 1/3 period or suffer distracting orange glare in my peripheral vision.

Would it just be easier to buy new cameras and DIY replace?
I see quite some people are trying your suggestion and they get different results. I wonder if the light pollution could also come from other sides of that camera/circuit board. For that reason I wonder if you can try maybe an alternative solution to fill the unit with some kind of opaque electrical resin. Someone suggested the same but of course, you cannot fill it completely as you do not want to cover the light pipe and the actual light window. But maybe there is that right angle and right amount to inject inside so that all camera/PCB is covered. As you have the unit dismantled, maybe is worth exploring another alterative. Advantage will be that the hole can be smaller, in a less sensitive spot and with the right resin to cover the entire area between camera and PCB so, a more or less guaranteed result. The “risk” I see is covering the space between the LED and the pipe light plastic.
Can you just buy new cameras and DIY replace? It seems this should be a plug and play fix with almost no risk for around $250 for both cameras.

Tesla mobile service replaced the right side repeater just now. He was able to process the repair as being under warranty after all so no cost to me.

Segment of invoice attached.View attachment 755712

Can anyone confirm if it's just the 1495865-20-D and 1495864-20-D cameras that are the fixed versions? What about the -C ? I've heard that -Ds aren't available in all markets currently.

@Tevo Solutions ?

You can turn off the display of the side cameras. It's an option in a menu if you find it distracting. Which is exactly what Tesla will do if it becomes a "safety" issue.

There's nothing you can do if your MCU fails, and the MCU wear out is Tesla's own fault for crappy software. The fact that MCU1 is basically guaranteed to fail at every function that came with the car within 10 years is a major issue too, while this is only an additive function to the primary functions of a light and an autopilot camera.
Ok, dude, you're right. Even though I agree with you apparently I'm wrong.

Would it just be easier to buy new cameras and DIY replace?

Can you just buy new cameras and DIY replace? It seems this should be a plug and play fix with almost no risk for around $250 for both cameras.
I have no clue if Tesla will just sell the parts alone. Looking at the quotations that other owners got for replacing the cameras, the parts seem to be the most expensive element so yes, replacing the cameras yourself will save you that part assuming Tesla will sell the parts separately at the same price (I doubt that).

Anybody on this forum: Do you know if Tesla sell parts alone for DIY repairs? If they do, are the price levels the same with what they mention on their repair quotations or higher and if higher, by how much?

Tesla will sell you parts, all you need is the part number. They may or may not grumble about them being incorrect for your VIN and that they may be incompatible and that there's no recourse if there is, warn you that your warranty might be affected, etc. Your mileage may vary.

I've bought a 2021 heated steering wheel and a bunch of parts to retrofit the USB-C ports to my Q1 2020 car.

Did you get the heated steering wheel to work? I would be tempted to add that, but I cannot imagine the car's software would ever recognize it, and who wants to have a physical switch in the car? Plus the wheel I have is wrapped in actual leather, not that pleather crud they use today.

For all this side discussion about will Tesla sell you parts:

That is the full parts catalog for Teslas. Anything listed as "over the counter" can be bought by anyone. Annoyingly they don't list prices unless you have a special login.
Some of Tesla's prices are surprisingly affordable ($100 wheel bearings), some are annoyingly expensive ($500 brake pads). Tesla's overall business model continues to their parts department ;)

The real issues Tesla has with right to repair is the difficulty in getting software access when needed, their restricted sale of drivetrain and body parts, and their aggressive behavior around turning off services for cars with major repairs.

Reactions: zef3215

Attachments

• 7EFCF4CE-140F-49D6-ACC3-778FDEC09993.jpeg
    7EFCF4CE-140F-49D6-ACC3-778FDEC09993.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 4B8FF431-13A3-491B-BC3C-2E982F4BB45E.jpeg
    4B8FF431-13A3-491B-BC3C-2E982F4BB45E.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 0C2452BD-87EF-4846-B0AA-6AE6D91F69A6.jpeg
    0C2452BD-87EF-4846-B0AA-6AE6D91F69A6.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Informative
Reactions: jsmay311 and Durzel
I've made a dedicated thread for this, based on @Tevo Solutions 's video:

I think we'll have more success arguing this from a FSD perspective. It will absolutely degrade the quality of the information FSD will be making decisions on. It absolutely sucks we have to fight Tesla to have them replace an obviously defective component that we have clear evidence of them trying to band-aid. There's many people, some in this very thread, who have had it replaced under warranty.

I'm not sure you can argue based on the blind spot pop-up given you can just turn that off. But I totally disagree dismissing that because it's a 'bonus' introduced in a software update. Software updates are products much like on iOS; they're selling points of the hardware and actively advertised as a benefit by Tesla. It's now a deployed feature on consumer vehicles. Could you possibly argue it's a 'bonus' to someone who bought an M3 yesterday? Or could you argue Hold Mode is a bonus as it arrived in a software update too? It blows my mind people try to defend Tesla who are trying abdicate responsibility.

Reactions: Enginerd and Durzel