Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They could easily just remove the feature from pre-2021 cars the same as other stuff.

None of us affected by this even knew about it until this feature was released. Has it not been released we’d still be pretty much none the wiser.

I would like Tesla to replace older parts too, but pragmatically speaking there’s no way they’re going to be obliged to do so for an optional feature they added post-sale. The only angle owners are likely to have is claiming that AP/FSD will be impacted, but this is just a suspicion without actual empirical evidence.

Realistically the only people that have a shout of getting theirs replaced are those that have one camera unaffected (new revision) with the other being blown out (old revision), as they can clearly demonstrate that this is abnormal and inconsistent behaviour.

They could easily just remove the feature from pre-2021 cars the same as other stuff.

None of us affected by this even knew about it until this feature was released. Has it not been released we’d still be pretty much none the wiser.

I would like Tesla to replace older parts too, but pragmatically speaking there’s no way they’re going to be obliged to do so for an optional feature they added post-sale. The only angle owners are likely to have is claiming that AP/FSD will be impacted, but this is just a suspicion without actual empirical evidence.

Realistically the only people that have a shout of getting theirs replaced are those that have one camera unaffected (new revision) with the other being blown out (old revision), as they can clearly demonstrate that this is abnormal and inconsistent behaviour.

I'm surprised you feel this way. If you answer No to the following 4 questions, I'm shocked.
  1. Do you think blind spot video camera is a safety issue if you are not able to see them display properly?
  2. Would you expect your side cameras that came with the car to work by displaying properly at night?
  3. Sure, if feature is removed -->Does owning FSD come with the expectations that your video cameras can display at night properly?
  4. Were you aware this feature has been in the development que for years (asked and confirmed by Elon) and we have been expecting it to work when released?
I come up with: YES YES YES and YES!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Daekwan
I'm surprised you feel this way. If you answer No to the following 4 questions, I'm shocked.
  1. Do you think blind spot video camera is a safety issue if you are not able to see them display properly?
  2. Would you expect your side cameras that came with the car to work by displaying properly at night?
  3. Sure, if feature is removed -->Does owning FSD come with the expectations that your video cameras can display at night properly?
  4. Were you aware this feature has been in the development que for years (asked and confirmed by Elon) and we have been expecting it to work when released?
I come up with: YES YES YES and YES!!
1. No. If you cannot change lanes without relying on a blind spot camera, you should have your license revoked. What are you going to do when you get into a vehicle without blind spot cameras, just start hitting other cars? If you're that bad of a driver, you are a menace.

2. Yes

3. No, FSD comes with the expectation that the car can drive properly without human intervention. No displays should be required. And as I've said repeatedly, if it can't handle turn signal glare, there's no way it can handle a lot of far more difficult scenarios.

4. I was not aware.

That said, I believe the original design was a mistake -- an oversight by the design team. I'd like mine fixed, but there's no reason for NHTSA to force Tesla to do it given that blind spot cameras are not even required equipment. And despite the mistake, the engineers found that it wasn't an issue because the software can still identify vehicles, so the cameras still served their purpose, which is why Tesla didn't immediately redesign the PCB.

I've seen several comments along the lines of "why not just disconnect the blinker". IMO that's more of a safety issue than FSD or you being affected by the glare.
A car behind and to the side of yours will have very poor visibility of your rear blinker (which in the UK is orange and quite small on pre-2022 Model 3s) so the side repeater is actually very important when it comes to signalling your intention to change lanes or turn to other road users.
Side repeaters are also a legal requirement in many countries.

@Tevo Solutions Does the camera still display without the 12V connector attached? Also what type of male Fakra connector did you use when you made your extension cable? Asking for a friend who's tinkering.😉
The 12v connector only powers the turn signal, and disconnecting it will not affect the camera. The camera connector carries power and data of its own.

@Tevo Solutions Does the camera still display without the 12V connector attached? Also what type of male Fakra connector did you use when you made your extension cable? Asking for a friend who's tinkering.😉
Yes, the two connections work independently of each other. The connectors I used for the extension were salvaged from an old GPS receiver & antenna I had lying around. They aren't exactly the right size, but I made them fit! So sorry I can't really help ID the correct ones for you.

And, now life gets interesting. As some of you in this thread know, I had scheduled service to replace the two turn signal lights/repeater cameas that had the glare issue on my September 2018 Model 3 LR. I had approved the invoice, which was for some $300 and change, total, for both. The guy showed on the scheduled day, a little early, popped out the old lights, put in new ones, and went on his way. I can report that the new cameras do NOT have the problem; they now work just fine at night.
So, after seeing some comments from some of the people on this thread about how they hadn't been charged, it crossed my mind that I hadn't noticed the actual charge go through.
So, opened up the Tesla app, went to Service, went to History, and, yeah, there it was, "Completed". Pulled up the invoice. Wowzers! Things have changed!
Both lights are mentioned as being replaced. And there's the interesting phrase at the bottom of the PDF, right after the listing for the lights;

"Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty"

And a zero charge at the bottom.

After all my kvetching I feel somewhat embarrassed. It appears that Tesla has come to its senses on this issue and is replacing them free of charge? For everybody, or what?

Comments?
The pertinent part of the invoice is below.
1644850156448.png

One last thing. He handed me one of the removed lights to look over, which I did. But, before he left, he wanted it back. I gave it to him and he went on his way.
Wonder if they're doing re-work on the removed parts?

Last edited:
And, now life gets interesting. As some of you in this thread know, I had scheduled service to replace the two turn signal lights/repeater cameas that had the glare issue on my September 2018 Model 3 LR. I had approved the invoice, which was for some $300 and change, total, for both. The guy showed on the scheduled day, a little early, popped out the old lights, put in new ones, and went on his way. I can report that the new cameras do NOT have the problem; they now work just fine at night.
So, after seeing some comments from some of the people on this thread about how they hadn't been charged, it crossed my mind that I hadn't noticed the actual charge go through.
So, opened up the Tesla app, went to Service, went to History, and, yeah, there it was, "Completed". Pulled up the invoice. Wowzers! Things have changed!
Both lights are mentioned as being replaced. And there's the interesting phrase at the bottom of the PDF, right after the listing for the lights;

"Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty"

And a zero charge at the bottom.

After all my kvetching I feel somewhat embarrassed. It appears that Tesla has come to its senses on this issue and is replacing them free of charge? For everybody, or what?

Comments?
The pertinent part of the invoice is below.
View attachment 768865
One last thing. He handed me one of the removed lights to look over, which I did. But, before he left, he wanted it back. I gave it to him and he went on his way.
Wonder if they're doing re-work on the removed parts?
They won't be reworking the ones they took out, they'll go into a trash can (or recycling bin) somewhere.
What I don't understand is they've put rev -C repeaters in and we've seen they have glare. I thought the rev -D repeaters were being installed now?
Very confusing.

They won't be reworking the ones they took out, they'll go into a trash can (or recycling bin) somewhere.
What I don't understand is they've put rev -C repeaters in and we've seen they have glare. I thought the rev -D repeaters were being installed now?
Very confusing.
I had the impression that some Rev-C parts had the tape solution; other Rev-C parts did not. I'm presuming that the Rev-C parts I got had did, since there is now no glare whatsoever from the turn signals at night. (Except that, if there's fog out, the glare of the turn signals in the fog is picked up. Not otherwise.)

I had the impression that some Rev-C parts had the tape solution; other Rev-C parts did not. I'm presuming that the Rev-C parts I got had did, since there is now no glare whatsoever from the turn signals at night. (Except that, if there's fog out, the glare of the turn signals in the fog is picked up. Not otherwise.)
I wonder how sturdy that tape is...I'd prefer Rev-D over Rev-C if I get mine fixed.

if I'm paying for it, I want -D - and that's what I've asked for and should be getting. But if -C fixed it for you, for free, then I'd be pretty overjoyed about that too!

Glad to hear it was comped for you @Tronguy. I'm not sure that is a worldwide thing though, given that people (even you) are being told that it's "not a defect of materials or workmanship" or whatever. I'm fully expecting to have to pay £290 - what I've been quoted :(

I've got two -C repeaters here and neither of them were fixed from the factory. The tape fix will only have been done at the factory where the repeaters are made (in Korea) and I would expect them to do something with the part number so it's possible to tell the difference without testing, but stranger things have happened I suppose.
It just goes to show that the only sure way to know if a repeater is suffering from this is to tape over the lens and test it on the car.

Mobile tech shows up today to replace the camera I successful got covered under warranty. Service center sent him the wrong camera (LH vs RH). 😡
He did install my Homelink so not a total waste. What I did find interesting was his insistence that this is absolutely a warranty issue and the problem are all the "new people" who handle appointments and make bad decisions.