Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if I'm paying for it, I want -D - and that's what I've asked for and should be getting. But if -C fixed it for you, for free, then I'd be pretty overjoyed about that too!

Glad to hear it was comped for you @Tronguy. I'm not sure that is a worldwide thing though, given that people (even you) are being told that it's "not a defect of materials or workmanship" or whatever. I'm fully expecting to have to pay £290 - what I've been quoted :(
Um. "Comped" or "Goodwill" are definitely not the same thing as "Basic Limited Vehicle Warranty". The former is digression; the latter is more like a legal opinion. I think @msc777's mobile tech probably saw something official.
I don't want to create some kind of land rush, here, but if anybody needs some pertinent number from my invoice so they can wave it back and forth at a Tesla person, let me know.
And, like all these things, a declaration that it was a warranty issue might have been in error. Still: My car is an oldie but goodie and predates any MY, MC, MS, or MX that might have gotten, say, one light making glare and the other not. They replaced both.

Reactions: M3 2018
So did anyone get their cameras replaced and if so did that solve the problem?
Um. No question, replacement side lights/cameras definitely fix the problem; no more glare on my 2018 M3.
I've been telling people the Invoice Number off the piece of paper. One person reports that, invoice number or not, the SC in Washington State is saying, "Nope". The other two haven't reported back yet.

Hi everybody,

I have the same problem and am willing to pay for the "fix" ...

Tesla wants to install the following Parts on my vehicle:

1125107-77-E
1125106-77-E

I have not seen these numbers here yet.

Does anyone know these cameras?

(M3 LR 09/2019)

Hi everybody,

1125107-77-E
1125106-77-E

(M3 LR 09/2019)
This is an old part number. I can only think they have old stock and not much stock movement.
I have a 1125107-77-E camera here and it suffers from glare because it has the 3 via hols on the camera PCB.
You need 1495865-20-D & 1495864-20-D

Hi everybody,

1125107-77-E
1125106-77-E

(M3 LR 09/2019)
My Model 3 was made in March 2018 and has repeaters with those part numbers, but with -A revisions. Those are just newer revisions (-E) of the repeaters and will still likely have the light bleed. The newest repeaters have completely different part numbers.

I've taken a look through but it's hard to understand whether this is covered by warranty or if this is an out of pocket expense to replace the cameras that glare from the turn signals?
Unfortunately I think the current answer is "it depends". We may get more clarity over time, and/or Tesla may adopt a more uniform stance. I plan to request new side repeater cameras whenever Tesla has the parts to work my Model 3's rear camera cable recall... but probably only if they don't try to charge me hundreds of dollars for them.

Reactions: calidreamz808
I've taken a look through but it's hard to understand whether this is covered by warranty or if this is an out of pocket expense to replace the cameras that glare from the turn signals?
At first, I was told it would be around $320 or so, with labor. I argued a bit, and they popped up with that statement that the repeaters were, "Working as designed."
I prepared to pay up. The guy showed, replaced them, and I didn't get charged. Checked the invoice again and they were replaced under warranty.
Some people here say they've been paying; a couple say it's been under warranty. Those that had one camera with glare and the other without seemed to get more traction on getting a warranty repair.
I gave my invoice number to three people upon request. One said that the SC in Washington State stated, invoice or no invoice, that that guy was paying. The other two haven't reported back.
So, at this point, it looks like it's all over the map and YMMV.
My opinion as an engineer: Nobody purposely designs a camera to have light leaks that cause glare. The appropriate phase here is, "Design defect." Some of the replacement lights have tape over the via holes where the light leaks in and over another spot on the camera printed board assembly which is transparent enough to let turn signal light in. Even newer ones have a different PBA which apparently blocks all the light.
One of the posters on this thread actually got a number of these cameras, cut them open to figure out what was happening, confirmed the design fault, and figured out a way (with accurate directions, even!) that, with a dremel tool and/or drill, to open up the body of the light (it's glued, permanently) so one can reach into two spot, paint the offending spots over to block the light bleed, seal the whole thing up with putty, and replace them. Cool if one is handy, but fraught in case one makes a mistake.

At first, I was told it would be around $320 or so, with labor. I argued a bit, and they popped up with that statement that the repeaters were, "Working as designed."
I prepared to pay up. The guy showed, replaced them, and I didn't get charged. Checked the invoice again and they were replaced under warranty.
Some people here say they've been paying; a couple say it's been under warranty. Those that had one camera with glare and the other without seemed to get more traction on getting a warranty repair.
I gave my invoice number to three people upon request. One said that the SC in Washington State stated, invoice or no invoice, that that guy was paying. The other two haven't reported back.
My opinion as an engineer: Nobody purposely designs a camera to have light leaks that cause glare. The appropriate phase here is, "Design defect." Some of the replacement lights have tape over the via holes where the light leaks in and over another spot on the camera printed board assembly which is transparent enough to let turn signal light in. Even newer ones have a different PBA which apparently blocks all the light.
One of the posters on this thread actually got a number of these cameras, cut them open to figure out what was happening, confirmed the design fault, and figured out a way (with accurate directions, even!) that, with a dremel tool and/or drill, to open up the body of the light (it's glued, permanently) so one can reach into two spot, paint the offending spots over to block the light bleed, seal the whole thing up with putty, and replace them. Cool if one is handy, but fraught in case one makes a mistake.
That poster was me ;)

There are a few ways to make a hole in the housing to get the black stuff in there and it's really not that difficult if the alternative is to pay for new cameras.
I just hate the thought of thousands of cameras being thrown in a bin somewhere when they can be made good with a little effort.

I'll just be selling mine on eBay when I get mine replaced (if they end up being at cost, I'm assuming they will be as I've not been told otherwise) to someone who doesn't care as much about it as I do.
While the guy who replaced my lights was working, he handed me one of them to look over. After a bit, he wanted it back and I gave it to him.
Now that I think of it.. Isn't there some law or other that says that one can require that broken parts be handed to the customer? (This was put in play, by statute, back in the day, when unscrupulous/criminal repair shops would replace perfectly good suspension parts by claiming that they were loose, when they were just fine.)
Just checked on line. That's state law; New York's says that if it's done under warranty, then they can keep the parts. Hmm.

While the guy who replaced my lights was working, he handed me one of them to look over. After a bit, he wanted it back and I gave it to him.
Now that I think of it.. Isn't there some law or other that says that one can require that broken parts be handed to the customer? (This was put in play, by statute, back in the day, when unscrupulous/criminal repair shops would replace perfectly good suspension parts by claiming that they were loose, when they were just fine.)
Just checked on line. That's state law; New York's says that if it's done under warranty, then they can keep the parts. Hmm.
If it's under warranty, who cares?

Just returned from a 2K mile road trip with many hours driving at night and in the rain and experienced the horrible performance of the Blind Spot Camera(s) I submitted a Service Request a few hours ago. I just received this back.
zRY88Ny.png

So they work as DESIGNED. Given the safety implications of this, I asked for an estimate. More to follow.

Just returned from a 2K mile road trip with many hours driving at night and in the rain and experienced the horrible performance of the Blind Spot Camera(s) I submitted a Service Request a few hours ago. I just received this back.
zRY88Ny.png

So they work as DESIGNED. Given the safety implications of this, I asked for an estimate. More to follow.
Yep I essentially got the same message. My quote is what everyone else is seeing here, labor and parts totaling around $400 or something

If it's a "design defect" there are many jurisdictions where it would not be covered under warranty.
Square Peg Meet Round Hole - Do Design Defects Breach a Warranty Against Defects in Material or Workmanship? - Fredrikson & Byron · Fredrikson & Byron, P.A.

For example you can look at GM, which had a lawsuit thrown out over this recently. They were able to argue cracking/warping/bending rims were a "design defect" and thus would not be covered under their warranty. Their warranty only covers materials and workmanship defects (which seems to be the same wording Tesla is using).
Lawsuit Over Corvette Cracked Rims Dismissed In California
Chevy Corvette Cracked Rims Lawsuit Dismissed

There is however a second provision that applies in California, regardless of what the warranty says, due to the Song-Beverly Act: "a plaintiff must allege a fundamental defect that renders the product unfit for its ordinary purpose." I'm guessing this is the one that most people will argue under.

However, as linked above, the argument against that is that the people asking for retrofits largely bought before the blind spot camera existed, so that is not something Tesla is responsible for. Basically Tesla didn't design the camera originally for this purpose, so the fact that there is glare from the holes at night that affects this functionality (I should note also the glare also exists on cameras without the holes, like mine with the revision C, so that is not the only problem either, the transparent glue also plays a part) isn't something that the warranty covers.

Up thread there is the argument over its effects on AP or FSD, but those are much harder to prove and Tesla can also point to the fact that complaints about this only came up over the blind spot camera, not over AP lane change functionality, as evidence its impact on AP/FSD is not significant, if any. The Corvette lawsuit also covers deceptive practices and fraud related to this, looking into the complaints that happened before the owner bought the vehicle. There were 11 cases prior, but most of them seemed to be from road damage; a bulk (30) of the complaints came after. That indicates even if there was really a defect, it suggested GM didn't necessarily know about it when selling the vehicle to the plaintiff.

The only case where someone may win easily is the case with one camera having the issue and one not. I imagine most judges/juries would even accept that as a materials/workmanship defect, given its an apparent difference occurring in a single car. And so far it seems Tesla has no problem covering things under warranty in that case.

As for Tesla covering a case (or a few) under warranty where it occurs in both cameras and that somehow setting a legal precedent, I wasn't able to find any reference to that being how things work. If there was a lawsuit related to this feature, that might set a legal precedent (presuming it wasn't just settled out of court), but I'm not seeing how an SC covering a certain case under warranty would suddenly mean Tesla would be legally obligated to cover all cases under warranty. But disclaimer that IANAL, the above is just what I found trying to find similar cases that covers the most legal arguments over warranties.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3 2018
If I’m paying for replacements I damn well want the ones I paid for when I bought the car. If they’re going to do them under warranty then I’d expect them to take them back.