Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My rev. D’s are still giving me glare albeit not as bad.
Are you sure you have the D model actually installed (presumably though you didn't get to see the actual part before the installed)? I remember up thread, the UK did not have D models available yet, so the SCs are still installing older ones. Did you do the black tape test to confirm if it really is glare from blinkers that is leaking (as opposed to naturally some light reflecting back)?

Are you sure you have the D model actually installed (presumably though you didn't get to see the actual part before the installed)? I remember up thread, the UK did not have D models available yet, so the SCs are still installing older ones. Did you do the black tape test to confirm if it really is glare from blinkers that is leaking (as opposed to naturally some light reflecting back)?
Fair point, I didn’t actually see the camera parts numbers just too them from the invoice. What is the black tape test? I assume just tape on the indicator to isolate the light leakage ? 👍🏼

Fair point, I didn’t actually see the camera parts numbers just too them from the invoice. What is the black tape test? I assume just tape on the indicator to isolate the light leakage ? 👍🏼
Taping over the camera with a black tape and turn on the blinker. If there is light leak it will show up as magenta when the blinker is on. Just a very quick and easy way to test (without needing pitch dark conditions).

Reactions: Gareth Jones
Massive improvement for me. I couldn’t live with the glare I was getting with night drives, and I didn’t want to keep having to turn the feature off when it got dark as it was perfectly useable during the day.

As to whether it was worth spending the cash. Hard to say. Mine is fixed now and I feel better for it, but it galls me that it’s still being fixed for free under warranty for some people.

I didn’t get -D revision parts though. Tesla wouldn’t let me order them as they wanted to run through -C inventory. I would not be surprised if people in the UK are getting -C revisions fired even if their invoice says -D.

Taping over the camera with a black tape and turn on the blinker. If there is light leak it will show up as magenta when the blinker is on. Just a very quick and easy way to test (without needing pitch dark conditions).
I’ll try that today, I taped the indicator but had little to no affect so I’m suspecting it internal light pollution.

Sept 2018 M3 LR build here with light leakage ... affecting roughly the top 50% of the image at night (when the blinkers are lit).

Created service ticket. Was given the stock "normal operation" text. I was told I could replace them on my own dime. I agreed but also corrected their replacement plan estimate with the 1495864-20-D / 1495865-20-D parts (and also the chrome trim pieces, since mine M3 isn't de-chromed).

Took into the service center (Bend, OR). Job was done in about 2 hours (which spanned over the lunch hour). $306 in parts, $30 in labor.

I immediately applied some electrician's tape to test the fix. It works perfectly now.

• Informative
Reactions: jrmnet and jsmay311
My repeater cameras have the same flaw. From what I read, the 2018 models had badly-designed camera, and that later new repeater cameras were designed that didn't have this problem (there was a whole YouTube video somewhere about taking them apart and fixing the light leak yourself but it was a hassle.) I have had several service calls in about this (and other camera-related issues), and the Burbank Tesla people say just live with it - and that if they DID replace the repeaters with news ones, they would have the same problem. To me it is a safety issue because it not only makes the turn signal blind spot display unusable, but at night it is very distracting having bright blinking video in the corner of your eye, and you can't turn off the display. Maybe a complaint to the NTSB would help convince Tesla that this should be fixed?

To me it is a safety issue because it not only makes the turn signal blind spot display unusable, but at night it is very distracting having bright blinking video in the corner of your eye, and you can't turn off the display.
Umm, what? Yes, you can turn it off.

1661986219969.png

Maybe a complaint to the NTSB would help convince Tesla that this should be fixed?
If NHTSA did say anything Tesla's response would likely to be to remove the feature. After all your car didn't come with it, so they don't owe it to you.

My repeater cameras have the same flaw. From what I read, the 2018 models had badly-designed camera, and that later new repeater cameras were designed that didn't have this problem (there was a whole YouTube video somewhere about taking them apart and fixing the light leak yourself but it was a hassle.) I have had several service calls in about this (and other camera-related issues), and the Burbank Tesla people say just live with it - and that if they DID replace the repeaters with news ones, they would have the same problem. To me it is a safety issue because it not only makes the turn signal blind spot display unusable, but at night it is very distracting having bright blinking video in the corner of your eye, and you can't turn off the display. Maybe a complaint to the NTSB would help convince Tesla that this should be fixed?
I guess there is a chance that the "new ones" would have the same problem if they replaced them with the new-old-stock of the older repeater design. But if they actually replace with the new/current design cameras, the problem should be completely resolved.

That was my experience, but I had to explicitly ensure that they were ordering the new cameras (part # 1495864-20-D / 1495865-20-D). My Bend, OR service center didn't give me any hassle about replacing them, or try to dissuade me ... they only made it clear that I would have to pay for it and it wasn't considered a warranty issue.

To me, having the issue resolved was worth the out-of-pocket cost. I am happy to have the issue resolved so that I don't end up being distracted/annoyed by the repeater camera during nighttime driving.

Maybe a complaint to the NTSB would help convince Tesla that this should be fixed?
If NHTSA did say anything Tesla's response would likely to be to remove the feature. After all your car didn't come with it, so they don't owe it to you.
I agree with this. I don't think the NHTSA route is going to yield success. My suggestion would be either to turn it off, if you don't want to see the design flaw that was introduced after your car was delivered (by enabling the driver to see the repeater cams) ... or decide that you want to pay to add this new capability, functioning correctly, to your vehicle and get a service center to do the work to replace it with the correct new parts.

I personally think it "lame" that Tesla has taken the stance it has on, what I at least consider to be, an obvious design flaw. Others may defend Tesla on this (e.g., by saying "you didn't pay for it"). I choose not to ... and that's my personal opinion only. But realistically, I think it is ultimately up to you to either: a) disable it, b) live with it as-is, or c) pay to have this "normal operation" capability (Tesla's stock wording on the matter) actually improved to a satisfactory level of functionality.

Last edited:
Took into the service center (Bend, OR). Job was done in about 2 hours (which spanned over the lunch hour). $306 in parts, $30 in labor.

did they increase the price of the cameras, or is that including tax? i thought previously i had seen that they were $130 each. trying to decide if i want to order them directly from tesla or just get them on ebay...going to install them myself, the service videos show it to be a pretty easy swap.

did they increase the price of the cameras, or is that including tax? i thought previously i had seen that they were $130 each. trying to decide if i want to order them directly from tesla or just get them on ebay...going to install them myself, the service videos show it to be a pretty easy swap.
I don't know the history of the pricing of these parts ... so I cannot directly answer your question.

Oregon doesn't have sales tax, so the prices I referenced were simply what I paid for parts and labor.

However, I should have stated before that my parts installation costs included not only the new repeater cameras (charged $143/ea) ... but also the chrome trim for the cameras (which is a one-time use item and must be replaced as well, unless you a running a de-chromed M3).

The chrome trim for the new camera cost $10/ea. So that is where my $306 total parts number came from (2 x $143 + 2 x $10).

I agree that, from what I have seen, it should be an easy-ish DIY swap. I chose not to do it myself because I told myself I would have a stronger position of argument if the issue wasn't resolved by the replacement (which I paid for out of pocket). But, if it had cost substantially more than $30 labor, I would have seriously considered doing it myself. As it is, I didn't do that.

Reactions: crackers8199
I don't know the history of the pricing of these parts ... so I cannot directly answer your question.

Oregon doesn't have sales tax, so the prices I referenced were simply what I paid for parts and labor.

However, I should have stated before that my parts installation costs included not only the new repeater cameras (charged $143/ea) ... but also the chrome trim for the cameras (which is a one-time use item and must be replaced as well, unless you a running a de-chromed M3).

The chrome trim for the new camera cost $10/ea. So that is where my $306 total parts number came from (2 x $143 + 2 x $10).

I agree that, from what I have seen, it should be an easy-ish DIY swap. I chose not to do it myself because I told myself I would have a stronger position of argument if the issue wasn't resolved by the replacement (which I paid for out of pocket). But, if it had cost substantially more than $30 labor, I would have seriously considered doing it myself. As it is, I didn't do that.

if that's the case, then they did raise the price. people have previously said in this thread that they paid $130 per camera.

i have seen the -D model cameras brand new on ebay for less than $100 shipped...so that settles it for me (i'm not worried about the chrome trim piece, so that'll save me another $20). $100 total savings on the two cameras plus $30 in labor makes it worth it for me to just do them myself.