Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass Backorder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been waiting over a month now for new glass on my brand new MS. I took possession of it March 19 after it was derailed by a 3rd party because the service center was too busy to get to it in the time they told me. When I picked it up it had this large 3 inch crack in the roof glass. I immediately called the service center and they said they should have a new one in a couple weeks. Then just a week in to driving it the drivers side panel where the side camera is came detached and is not popped out a bit from the body of the car (you can see the gap between the rubber molding and the side of the glass in the photo). I was told they would have one of those in to replace this one in a week. It’s now been over 5 weeks and still nothing. It isn’t hampering the function of the car and I’m still able to drive it, but it’s kind of frustrating that it’s taking so long at this point. Anyone else have issues with backorder glass for their car? Anyone know a way I can push this a long and quicker? I kind of feel like I get a run around at the service center.

3AD0C565-6EAE-4BC3-84D1-F2980CA69250.jpeg
18335305-BEBC-45FD-B3D2-948F3966874E.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Pentium2004
Been waiting for over 8 weeks for a body/door rubber seal replacement. Back order as well. Really? That many cars need rubber seal replacement and it’s that difficult to produce the seal? Unbelievable. Don’t get me started on other things they managed the F* up.

I've been waiting for a new side mirror for over three weeks now. I can't drive the car because I don't have a driver's side mirror...

Tesla Service told me they escalated it a week ago but I have not heard about it since then.

So I love the way the car drives and all it’s cool/fun features, but with issues like this I’m wondering how the customer satisfaction on these cars is so high? Do people just willingly overlook stuff like this? I just can’t help but feel a little jipped that you spend $100k on a car and the customer service is this poor!

So I love the way the car drives and all it’s cool/fun features, but with issues like this I’m wondering how the customer satisfaction on these cars is so high? Do people just willingly overlook stuff like this? I just can’t help but feel a little jipped that you spend $100k on a car and the customer service is this poor!
The reason customer satisfaction is so high is that most people don't have these problems. The ones who do come here and whinge loudly (justified or not). The majority who have no problems don't have any reason to complain.
My experience is typical. Had the car three years. Only a few minor problems which were corrected quickly by the best service people I have ever experienced.
YMMV

The reason customer satisfaction is so high is that most people don't have these problems. The ones who do come here and whinge loudly (justified or not). The majority who have no problems don't have any reason to complain.
My experience is typical. Had the car three years. Only a few minor problems which were corrected quickly by the best service people I have ever experienced.
YMMV

My service has been excellent,but do not forget that it can also be the opposite with very FEW people venturing to the forums to complain. There are many who never complain publicly and Tesla owners definitely like to overlook stuff. I worry because I love my car and want to get another Tesla, but service issues can make people fall out of love. It recently took over 2 months to get a windshield replaced. I am concerned that it might get worse before it improves.

I just hope that Model 3 stress smooths out and service returns to pre Model 3 levels? You already see big changes in service side dynamics:
No more refurbishing on CPO cars
No more direct phone access to service centers-big pain
LONG part delays
No more awesome "Tesla drop off and pick up of your car program"

Car has been in the body shop for 8 weeks.
Still waiting on parts.
The first quarter panel was defective. Taillight “bucket” was out of place by about half an inch according to the body shop tech.
New one is on order. Body shop still waiting on a few other minor trim bits too.
This was a fender bender that would have been a two-week or less fix on anything else.

The majority of owners do not have problems. Go to any other car forum and you'd think that their car was the worst built car ever. Everybody complains online but not everyone goes online to report, hey my car is working as advertised.

Thanks for the recommendation. I did this today. I’ll keep ya posted if it helps.
I escalated my issue as recommended and lo and behold things are being resolved!

I got an email the night I escalated it stating they would be in touch with my service center. The very next day the manager of the service center called me and said he’d reach out to other service centers to see if he could find the part I need and would let me know. The day after that he called me again saying they found the part and I’m on the schedule for this coming Monday to get it all fixed.

Thanks for the escalate option. The service was much more like what I expected with this, rather than what was happening with the original service center employee that didn’t sent to care.

The majority of owners do not have problems. Go to any other car forum and you'd think that their car was the worst built car ever. Everybody complains online but not everyone goes online to report, hey my car is working as advertised.

Valid point. I guess I’ve just had better customer experience with my previous Honda’s and Acura’s and expected more from Tesla. However you’re right, I never went on an acura forum and posted how pleased I was with their customer service.

Reports here in Norway about long backorders for cracked windshields now in addition to other parts as well. I have never heard about this problem ever before with any brand. Usually the glass companies like "Hurtigruta CarGlass.no" market that they will change your windshield within a few hours, meaning they have a logistic system that supply them.

The other Leafs and Souls and e-Golfs also are having techincal failures, so maybe Tesla is on par with them, but Tesla is the only one with a broken supply of spare parts and 2-3 months waiting list for an appointment at SC.

My own example: early December fw-upgrade disabled autopilot. Remote diag said broken side repeater cam. First appointment available was in late February. Managed to squeeze and push myself in to a drop-in appointment in Dec for them to change the corroded side repeater camera. But wiring harness needed to be changed also - appoinment then booked to March. I needed an appointment for yearly service in March also, but no could not get them together - earliest option then was in May/June earliest. Last autumn, broken taken in to SC waiting for parts. Now they refuse to take them in, because they run out of parking space and loaners.

Why don't they have a local supply of spares - especially when Tesla parts are not exactly Toyota-quality? Almost any BMW/Merc/Peugeot/Audi part will be shipped overnight from a big Euro warehouse. Do they really have a different approach to spare parts than others?

• Informative
Reactions: croman