Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass Breaking Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
My first though was that the front end looked great, the rear not so much. Then when Elon talked about the specs, I was a bit let down hear it couldn't tow the 300,000 pounds he claimed it would. However, I was impressed with the bulletproofness of the steel. Then I was totally let down with the glass breaking, not once but twice. Especially after they did that whole show of dropping steel balls on those glass panels. Someone should be fired over this.

Reactions: Callawayc7
The reason glass broke is that the energy got no where to go with that rigid frame around the glass, if you watch the prior demo of the free fall ball, the armored glass was able to break free of the clamps around of it so the energy from the ball was transferred to doing that instead of breaking the glass
They never tested this in the last year?

It blows my mind that Tesla doesn’t rehearse these presentations, since they rely on them to an even greater extent than the traditional manufacturers to get the word out. Especially testing the window stunt. Even the video about the air suspension didn’t work. I have a feeling this will be a case study in some future marketing class on what not to do. I really think most people (including myself) just wanted an F-150 type body with the guts, drivetrain, and tech that Tesla is known for. Build a brand on reliability and economics, not looks. I really think they missed the mark on what truck owners look for when shopping.

On a side note I don’t think anyone really expected the truck to tow 300,000 lbs. Yes it could pull that much in a demo like pulling a plane, but stopping wise it’s a losing battle of physics for a vehicle that only weighs a few thousand pounds. It’s not the specs that are lacking.

The reason glass broke is that the energy got no where to go with that rigid frame around the glass, if you watch the prior demo of the free fall ball, the armored glass was able to break free of the clamps around of it so the energy from the ball was transferred to doing that instead of breaking the glass

The ball drop demo was on a rigid frame. That's why they kept tightening up the clamps after each ball drop.

The towing capacity was also a huge fail. Elon kept popping off about 300,000 pound tow capacity and then releases only a 14,000 pound tow capacity...seriously?! Maybe Elon needs to stop talking.

Think this is the armored glass they are scheduling to be used in the Semi. Much stronger than regular glass, but not bullet proof.

With normal glass, those thrown metal balls would have smashed through normal side tempered glass and impacted the driver. With Armored glass there was no penetration. The window would still break, but the driver would be safe.

Windows on the side acted like standard auto glass being hit by a something like that ball. Also betting only the windshield was the armor glass. We already know what the glass can do, it was demoed on the semi.

side glass is tempered and shatters when it breaks. Front glass is laminated (safety glass) and splinters like the side on the cybertruck did. There’s a variety of reasons that cars have been this way for the last 40 years. As a firefighter, it took us about 5 secs to remove side glass and 5 minutes with a hand saw to remove the front. I ordered one, but I’ll need to look at the safety of stainless steel panels, recessed door handles and what looks like safety glass on the sides it would be a large feat for responders to get into that vehicle if it was in an accident.

I ordered one, but I’ll need to look at the safety of stainless steel panels, recessed door handles and what looks like safety glass on the sides it would be a large feat for responders to get into that vehicle if it was in an accident.
Maybe Fire departments just need better tools. How would you get into the Presidents bullet proof limo, should that need to happen?

You all do know that towing and pulling are two different things right?

As advertised they said it would pull an infinite amount, no one in their right mind would tow 300k lbs.

On what planet did you think a 6kish lb truck was going to be RATED to TOW a 300k lb rig? That’s almost 3x the weight of a fully loaded semi. How are you planning on controlling and stopping a load that big? Never mind you can’t pull anything that heavy on public roads legally.

As far as the glass breaking, go throw a 5 lb steel ball at your passenger windows. If it doesn’t go clean through I’ll pay to fix it.

Ordered the tri-motor the second the website went live. Can’t wait.

You all do know that towing and pulling are two different things right?

As advertised they said it would pull an infinite amount, no one in their right mind would tow 300k lbs.

On what planet did you think a 6kish lb truck was going to be RATED to TOW a 300k lb rig? That’s almost 3x the weight of a fully loaded semi. How are you planning on controlling and stopping a load that big? Never mind you can’t pull anything that heavy on public roads legally.

As far as the glass breaking, go throw a 5 lb steel ball at your passenger windows. If it doesn’t go clean through I’ll pay to fix it.

Ordered the tri-motor the second the website went live. Can’t wait.

what is the difference between towing and pulling?

• Funny
Reactions: Zoomit