Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass cleaning recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of months ago, some smudges started showing up on my front window. It's not clear whether it happened after a visit to the Service Center or a hand wash-only carwash. Some look like sharply delineated horizontal lines, some are a bunch of small spots and other areas look like soapy water streaks. It does look like something was put on the window, stayed for too long and etched the glass.

The streaks and spots are not very visible and don't bother me that much when the sun is high but they're very visible and annoying when the sun is low and the sun's coming in from the side.

The problem is that they're right in my field of view (the passenger site is totally fine!) and I've been unable to remove them. Washing with "Invisible Glass" or diluted vinegar does not help. I mentioned and showed it to the SC but they don't know what to do. My regular car wash place (which washes a lot of high-end cars) doesn't know either.

What do you think could have formed them and what could be a way to remove them?

Thanks!
IMG_5477.JPG
IMG_5480.JPG

Hi Dirk,

A poorly kept secret of professional glass cleaners is to use 0000 grade steel wool and your favorite liquid
glass cleaner.
I use it on my X and it works wonders on removing bug guts...
Please use it carefully and never on painted surfaces.

Good luck,

Shawn

You may want to try cleaning with a solvent of some sort. Whatever is on there may not be soluble in water. Try 90%+ isopropyl alcohol or straight ethanol or methanol. Acetone is another thing to try. Obviously be very careful to keep that stuff off everything but the glass, and keep the area well ventilated.

If it's on the inside, I use Goof Off, then finish with Invisible Glass. For outside, I use Zaino Z-12 Glass Polish and it removes everything! I use the full line of Zaino car polishes/cleaners/leather conditioners and have for years. Really good stuff!
z-12.jpg

We've had 3 Tesla vehicles, starting with the first delivered in early 2013.

And what has worked well - is tap water with a microfiber cloth. The inside glass tends to get some fogging, especially when the vehicle is relatively new - and water and the microfiber cloth are enough to remove the film from the glass.

We carry a micro fiber cloth in the car, which we use to do spot cleaning of the interior glass - plus cleaning off the dashboard/console displays and the carbon fiber accents along the dashboard and console storage.

Haven't found any need to step up to anything stronger than water for the interior glass.

For the exterior glass, after washing the car, again use tap water and micro fiber cloth to do a final pass to clean up any streaking.

Keep it simple - seems to work.