Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass on roof fracturing in summer - no impact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have now argued with the service centre to repair my Tesla model 3 roof panel/s for the third time since buying my car in dec 2019.
Each time a small u shape fracture appears on the edge of the glass panels that then has a crack grow from the middle point. A divit appears in the middle of the u where the crack splits off. Each time they try to tell me that the divot causes the problem and that this has to be caused by impact but let’s be honest - car is kept undercover, no dints, no problems. These cracks randomly appear from no impacts, always at the edge of the glass. Usually in Qld hot weather (no idea if this is important info)
Have now had two on the roof panel and one on the rear glass panel.
They are repairing on warranty but for me I’m worried the car is going to do this multiple times every year and it won’t be covered. Every time it is a huge challenge to get them to acknowledge it isn’t from an impact.
They don’t acknowledge how common this appears to be in forums.

I would like to know if my car is a lemon and has a bigger issue to deal with other than replacing the panels each time.

Anyone else having these issues repeatedly ? How did you deal with?

Attachments

• C3C06AF3-7FA3-418B-8837-05D48F47C8A2.jpeg
    C3C06AF3-7FA3-418B-8837-05D48F47C8A2.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 9CE23331-880A-4307-8AA3-B1285D04FAE7.jpeg
    9CE23331-880A-4307-8AA3-B1285D04FAE7.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 255
  • 181BC2DD-F494-4815-A4F1-CD8BF7E669E5.jpeg
    181BC2DD-F494-4815-A4F1-CD8BF7E669E5.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 267
This looks and sounds very similar to my discovery yesterday. Mine starts around the centre of the front windscreen edge and goes in less than a cm where there is just the tiniest of pin prick sized indents (very similar to your photos) it then works its way from there towards the middle of the pane then hooks back on itself creating like a fish hook pattern. It was really hot this weekend and it was left in the sun a fair bit but certainly not under any trees or anything. There are no chip marks anywhere else on my car so I really suspect this is a heat stress fracture. Got it booked into the service centre in the Valley on Friday but they are quoting me $1600 to get a new one. I'm hoping this gets replaced under warranty otherwise if this is a regular thing then I have bought a lemon!!!

Attachments

• processed-8d9309a2-3e2d-45f9-8e5b-ee42c2f3f982_SskcZWrf.jpeg
    processed-8d9309a2-3e2d-45f9-8e5b-ee42c2f3f982_SskcZWrf.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 235
  • processed-56ce11d6-051d-44e0-a7a9-f9f2a2cac08e_vItttebA.jpeg
    processed-56ce11d6-051d-44e0-a7a9-f9f2a2cac08e_vItttebA.jpeg
    358.2 KB · Views: 214
  • processed-58beacee-d7b2-4cde-b9f8-2f9bd6f2cfa0_Il8H8rR9.jpeg
    processed-58beacee-d7b2-4cde-b9f8-2f9bd6f2cfa0_Il8H8rR9.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 217
  • processed-ac9425d8-d6d5-407d-8483-c8ffdb4d03c4_MoGRynhK.jpeg
    processed-ac9425d8-d6d5-407d-8483-c8ffdb4d03c4_MoGRynhK.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 193
  • processed-c5d986ce-78b6-4dac-aeb1-cd2209e7b7ce_ZV0RfbZj.jpeg
    processed-c5d986ce-78b6-4dac-aeb1-cd2209e7b7ce_ZV0RfbZj.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 187
  • processed-c3228dbb-84e2-4702-82a8-5848daea7d0b_a95IrYg5.jpeg
    processed-c3228dbb-84e2-4702-82a8-5848daea7d0b_a95IrYg5.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 236
I have now argued with the service centre to repair my Tesla model 3 roof panel/s for the third time since buying my car in dec 2019.
Each time a small u shape fracture appears on the edge of the glass panels that then has a crack grow from the middle point. A divit appears in the middle of the u where the crack splits off. Each time they try to tell me that the divot causes the problem and that this has to be caused by impact but let’s be honest - car is kept undercover, no dints, no problems. These cracks randomly appear from no impacts, always at the edge of the glass. Usually in Qld hot weather (no idea if this is important info)
Have now had two on the roof panel and one on the rear glass panel.
They are repairing on warranty but for me I’m worried the car is going to do this multiple times every year and it won’t be covered. Every time it is a huge challenge to get them to acknowledge it isn’t from an impact.
They don’t acknowledge how common this appears to be in forums.

I would like to know if my car is a lemon and has a bigger issue to deal with other than replacing the panels each time.

Anyone else having these issues repeatedly ? How did you deal with?
You should try to document the issue. Do you have images of the prior cracks? Are they in the exact same spot, at least the two on the roof? Can you show the crack, growing, prior to the divot, so that you can prove that the divot isn't the cause, but a result? You should check the app during a hot day, and take screenshots, to document how high the temps get inside the car.

You should try to document the issue. Do you have images of the prior cracks? Are they in the exact same spot, at least the two on the roof? Can you show the crack, growing, prior to the divot, so that you can prove that the divot isn't the cause, but a result? You should check the app during a hot day, and take screenshots, to document how high the temps get inside the car

So Tesla weren't having any of it. They were adamant mine was through impact. The "impact" spot I have on mine is far smaller than the OP's "impact" spot that she says was claimed under warranty so I'm really pissed off having to pay $1700 for this! Also, if I compare my example to the OP's my "impact" spot doesn't have crows feet protruding, mine has a single line in and out of it. They are both in exactly the same spot from the edge of the glass though.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
So Tesla weren't having any of it. They were adamant mine was through impact. The "impact" spot I have on mine is far smaller than the OP's "impact" spot that she says was claimed under warranty so I'm really pissed off having to pay $1700 for this! Also, if I compare my example to the OP's my "impact" spot doesn't have crows feet protruding, mine has a single line in and out of it. They are both in exactly the same spot from the edge of the glass though.
Sorry. I'd take it to a good glass shop and ask them for their opinion and advice. They should have more experience with glass cracks than the Tesla staff.

So, I obviously went ahead with the repair and paid for it and then lodged a claim with my insurance (Auto & General) who are now saying this was a defect not an impact (based on the photos above) and will not honour the claim. Absolute joke. Currently arguing with my insurer how they can be so sure from just inspecting the photos.

So, I obviously went ahead with the repair and paid for it and then lodged a claim with my insurance (Auto & General) who are now saying this was a defect not an impact (based on the photos above) and will not honour the claim. Absolute joke. Currently arguing with my insurer how they can be so sure from just inspecting the photos.
So just to be clear, you argued with tesla that this was a defect, lost that argument, and are now arguing with your insurance that it wasn't a defect but was in fact an impact?

I share your pain, Tesla won’t honor anyone’s diagnosis other than Tesla (based on phone conversation with service), so you’re at their mercy.

I might just setup a camera pointed right at my windshield so I have direct proof when the crack happens again.

Long term share holder, first day reservation holder, totally onboard with the mission, but my goodness service needs to improve for continued success of the company. Totally up to Elon at this point, throw a few billion at service so Tesla is not just a great company but the gold (or Bitcoin) standard.

This looks like thermal fracturing in laminate glass

I manufacture skylights in the Uk and we have to use heat tempered laminated glass to overcome the differential pattern of hot and cold areas some in shade some in sun light

As the glass heats or cools fractures can start from tiny shells on the edge of the glass

It looks to me to be a-quality control issue in the supply chain

Reactions: Blur1895 and Benzz