Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass rear window and sedan/liftback discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading all the posts in this thread the biggest problem I see is people still can't get past the point that a Model 3 isn't going to be a hatchback. At this point it's too late to quote statistics about whether hatchbacks are preferred more over a hatchback. It doesn't matter, it is now irrelevant. If you want a hatchback wait 2-3 years for the Model Y but it probably won't be $36k just like the X is more than the S.

The other thing to remember the Model 3 is officially a compact sedan. Compact sedans are not know for having huge trunks. It will probably be slightly bigger than in a compact ICE Sedan. You will also have a Frunk but it will be smaller than the Model S.

From what I have seen a compact sedan is for transporting passengers with cargo being secondary. Whereas in a hatchback the cargo probably has equal importance to the passengers.

If you think you are going to fit luggage for five people going away on a long trip you are probably out of look.

• Informative
Reactions: arnis
"Beemer"/"Beamer" is a BMW motorcycle.... you're looking for "Bimmer" (BMW car)

giphy.gif

I can't help it. "Bimmer" sounds so terrible.

After reading all the posts in this thread the biggest problem I see is people still can't get past the point that a Model 3 isn't going to be a hatchback. At this point it's too late to quote statistics about whether hatchbacks are preferred more over a hatchback. It doesn't matter, it is now irrelevant. If you want a hatchback wait 2-3 years for the Model Y but it probably won't be $36k just like the X is more than the S.

I doubt that is the biggest problem - in my opinion. I am confident all reasonable people who follow Tesla are resigned into Model 3 being a sedan - and now that there will not be a hatchback/CUV in this technology generation at all. Model 3 sedan is what we are getting and that's it. Perhaps the trunk opening has been trimmed a little bit compared to the prototype.

I guess there is a 1% chance that a Model 3 variant with a different trunk could come (a hatchback/wagon variant for Europe?), since Model Y was bumped to the next generation, but that seems theoretical. With Tesla things are usually as bad as they look, so now that it looks that bad "sedan only in this gen", it probably is.

The biggest problem, as I see it, is the dicrepancy between how people with to talk about this. Like in so many other controversial topics, those who would rather put it past them and/or do not see an issue, might prefer to see the conversation go away. Those who are differently inclined, may wish to continue their conversation and different points of view related to it - not because they think it will somehow change Tesla's plans, but because they find the conversation itself interesting, informational, entertaining, venting-worthy, or somesuch.

This discrepancy of wants and expectations is the biggest problem on any controversial Internet forum topic IMO.

Reactions: EvanLin
I doubt that is the biggest problem - in my opinion. I am confident all reasonable people who follow Tesla are resigned into Model 3 being a sedan - and now that there will not be a hatchback/CUV in this technology generation at all. Model 3 sedan is what we are getting and that's it. Perhaps the trunk opening has been trimmed a little bit compared to the prototype.

I guess there is a 1% chance that a Model 3 variant with a different trunk could come (a hatchback/wagon variant for Europe?), since Model Y was bumped to the next generation, but that seems theoretical. With Tesla things are usually as bad as they look, so now that it looks that bad "sedan only in this gen", it probably is.

The biggest problem, as I see it, is the dicrepancy between how people with to talk about this. Like in so many other controversial topics, those who would rather put it past them and/or do not see an issue, might prefer to see the conversation go away. Those who are differently inclined, may wish to continue their conversation and different points of view related to it - not because they think it will somehow change Tesla's plans, but because they find the conversation itself interesting, informational, entertaining, venting-worthy, or somesuch.

This discrepancy of wants and expectations is the biggest problem on any controversial Internet forum topic IMO.

So my point is that by continually talking about it what do you wish to accomplish? Will constantly bringing it up change in some way what we are going to get in July...or even December? Other than just giving voice to your frustration, I just don't see any benefit to continually bringing up topics that have already been beat to death. I was disappointed to learn that there doesn't appear to be any type of HUD display. I came to terms with that and chose to put that aside and continue to be excited over what the car DOES appear to be rather than what it doesn't. I suppose that if there were too many features about the car that I did not like then I would just move on and look elsewhere. Constantly bemoaning what I think the car should be isn't going to change anything and isn't going to change what others see in it so I fail to see the point.

Respectfully,

Dan

So my point is that by continually talking about it what do you wish to accomplish?

In this instance, ask those who started comparing Model 3 and 3 Series trunks. It wasn't me. All I did was point out that 3 Series has superior trunk-space. I wanted to contribute a fact to the conversation that seemed, IMO, be overlooked. Perhaps because the participants were American and though BMW sells the variants in the U.S., many may have not known about them.

Will constantly bringing it up change in some way what we are going to get in July...or even December?

Obviously not. This is not the type of topic where online activism could alter the end-result in any timely fashion anyway. I guess in theory over time such feedback might be effective, but I doubt anyone is looking or expecting any sudden change.

Other than just giving voice to your frustration, I just don't see any benefit to continually bringing up topics that have already been beat to death.

I get that it is beaten to death in your view - and obviously some others disagree or at the very least act differently (and some others of course agree with you). One reason is that the topic is brought up by new people who weren't part of it originally and thus the arguments get rehashed again as someone brings them up. Again, it was not me who started comparing Model 3 and 3 Series trunk. I merely contributed an IMO pertinent fact to it, which others then took as a re-opening of the hatchback story and here we are. It is just the nature of many people coming together and conversations organically evolving often somewhere nobody really intended by themselves...

I was disappointed to learn that there doesn't appear to be any type of HUD display. I came to terms with that and chose to put that aside and continue to be excited over what the car DOES appear to be rather than what it doesn't. I suppose that if there were too many features about the car that I did not like then I would just move on and look elsewhere. Constantly bemoaning what I think the car should be isn't going to change anything and isn't going to change what others see in it so I fail to see the point.

Sure, but there is no point in looking elsewhere prior to the unveiling. That would be silly. Until then speculation will be rampant as it always is and then people will make up their minds and slowly start scattering - only to be replaced by some new people with new things on their minds and then the circle starts again. :)

The circle of forum life...