TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Glass rear window and sedan/liftback discussion

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by phil0909, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. phil0909

phil0909 Member

And pay $7,500 more, due to expiration of the federal tax credit. The extra cost and the multi-year wait are too much, so I plan to get the Model 3.

But yes, I expect I will prefer the Model Y. Maybe that's just a sign that I'm getting old, but then again, Elon Musk and a lot of industry analysts are starting to suggest that Model Y will outsell Model 3, so it's not just me...

2. phil0909

phil0909 Member

Exactly. And with a normal rear window, they could have done a liftback, just like Model S.

• Disagree x 3
  3. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

No. You will have the same rear headroom regardless of roof type. Only the middle glass roof section will have metal vs glass vs sunroof options.[​IMG]

4. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

I agree.

I will most likely switch to the Model Y when it comes, but the lack of a liftback won't stop me from getting a Model 3. ~50k USD is a lot more affordable than 100k USD (X100D with towing).

No one likes sedans here in Norway. There's not a sedan to be seen on the top 20 list of most popular cars.

5. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Exactly? That's not what you were saying though. You have/had your facts wrong.

If they had a hatch then there would be less headroom. Tesla chose more headroom.

Sounds like you want the Y.

6. phil0909

phil0909 Member

OK, worst of just two worlds, then. My wife and son can still wear their cowboy hats if I get the metal roof. ;)

7. phil0909

phil0909 Member

Yes. I believe I stated that quite clearly.

8. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Yes. Because Americans love their crossovers and SUVs. It isn't because Americans love hatches. Many Americans would still probably buy SUVs even if their rear storage was only sedan trunk-sized. They aren't buying the vehicle for its utilitarianism.

It's like assuming that Americans love shoelaces just because most Americans wear shoes and most shoes have shoelaces. No, the shoelaces just come with the shoes (like the hatch does with an SUV).

Yes, I'm referring to the US. I know hatches are more popular elsewhere. That's fine. But when Musk says the Y will be more popular, he probably basing that on American car trends.

9. phil0909

phil0909 Member

Well, that would be odd. Musk is from Africa, via Canada. Tesla sells close to half of its cars outside the US. I don't see how he could forget that when forecasting global sales numbers.

10. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

He's an American living in America. Lol

11. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Think they were saying the cameras can't see the front bumper area. Something like that. Idk how other manufacturers have their setup for the 360 view. It would be cool if Tesla could/will do that.

12. electracity

electracity Active Member

I know the German who will be lead his country into the cowboy hat craze. More bad new for Mercedes.

[​IMG]

13. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

No. Tesla AP2 has no nose camera. Everything beyond the bonnet is hidden from the cameras.

This was discussed e.g. here already before the AP2 announcement:

Is Model X (or was?) getting an "AP 1.5" before full-autonomous "AP 2.0" suite upgrade?

Also, most of the AP2 cameras are black/white/red.

14. AnxietyRanger

Audi/Porsche/Volvo etc. they have nose cameras.

In Tesla that would would mean a rear-camera like front-camera around the T-logo on the front of the Tesla.

Like this:

[​IMG]

15. AnxietyRanger

But the thing is, like with Model S, Tesla could have gotten the best of both worlds with Model 3.

Tesla can't afford to do an A6, A7, A8... so they did just the Model S, that kind of covers all three models. A do it all model, to put it that way.

With a hatchback Model 3, they could have attacked the A4, A4 Avant, A5, A5 Sportback segment, instead of basically just doing something like an Audi A4 sedan.

Model S is sedan enough for the U.S., but also hatchback, even station wagon enough for the Europeans. And it is just almost premium enough to kind of go for a guy who came from the Audi A8 (hey, I was fooled :) )...

I just think it is a real big missed opportunity if Model 3 trunk opening is not enlargened significantly in the release version. They could have broadened its appeal greatly just by that fix. A small Model S, like Elon said, in the trunk as well. Now it is not a small Model S, really, it is a different form-factor than Model S.

Now, skimping on the instrument cluster, that's just unnecessarily cheap IMO. An unnecessary risk as far as controversies go.

• Like x 3
  16. AnxietyRanger

Tesla could have selected a shape that would have allowed both headroom and a hatchback. I'm not buying it that this was the only possible shape.

Model Y is not an option at this time. And if a shape that allows it is possible for Model Y, it would be possible for Model 3 as well.

• Disagree x 1
  17. AnxietyRanger

#37 AnxietyRanger, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    "a bit" is only a "few years" according to Elon.

The opportunity here was a lower, sportier can that could also have been a hatchback and targeted a wide array of competing models sedan/coupe/sportback/station wagon, like Model S has done. And it could have been a "hot hatch" too.

Missed opportunity. Not even Model Y can really compete with the same sedan/coupe/sportback/station wagon/hot hatch competition.

• Like x 1
  18. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Not the only possible, just the most aerodynamic. The Model Y will be less aerodynamic and require a larger battery for the same range just like the Model X.

• Like x 1
  19. phil0909

phil0909 Member

Yes, just so, AnxietyRanger. Model S is a beautiful and practical car. Just too big for some folks. All they had to do was shrink it and Model 3 would be done and would be a great success. Instead, they sacrificed the utility of the Model S so Elon can have a giant rear window.

Of course, you could say much the same about the Model X - and many people have! All Tesla had to do was take the Model S design, and blow it up a little taller/bigger. But instead...

Perhaps Tesla will learn the lesson in time for the Model Y design.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  20. electracity

electracity Active Member

I didn't say top down. I said 360. There should be a way to make reduce the problems with blind spots.

• Like x 1