Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass Replacement and Geico

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a chip in the back glass of my Model 3 on the edge. I have an appointment at my local service center on Monday 5/27. When I saw the chip this past Sunday I filed a claim with Geico. I saw I had a $50 deductible and I was fine with that. Someone named Kate reached out to me from the service center on Tuesday asking for pictures and notifying me that with my insurance I’ll need to pay out-of-pocket and be reimbursed.

This seems to suggest that they bill at a higher rate for labor and at a higher amount for parts then Geico will pay. I called Geico and they said they will cover up to $40 per hour for labor but without a detailed invoice (quote) they cannot tell me how much I might have to pay out of pocket. I’ve tried to call the service center every day since Tuesday and it always goes to voicemail. I left a voicemail on 5/22 and so far have not gotten a call back.

I found some articles online that save they bill at $170 per hour and usually it takes them two hours to replace that piece of glass. I’m also concerned that they won’t pay full price for the OEM glass.

Anyone have experience with glass replacement being done at a Tesla service center and Geico insurance ?

I made sure my State Farm policy had glass coverage and, when my windshield cracked from side to side, they reimbursed me 100% with no problems whatever. I have the winter package, so have the wiper heaters at the bottom. Total price at the Palo Alto SC: $815 for parts, $181.25 for labor.

Definitely get a quote generated from Tesla. Shoot an email to your service center and note that you left a voicemail, maybe it’ll be easier for them to send it straight to you through email. From what I understand, Tesla doesn’t work with insurance (at least on glass repairs?) so you'll definitely want to know for sure what you’re paying out of pocket and what Geico will cover.

I would’ve suggested seeing if Safelite would repair it for probably about 100 bucks (and Geico covered the repair costs with no deductible when I had them repair my windshield) but from what I understand, repairs near the edges of glass is discouraged, and some Safelite locations won’t touch anything that aren’t windshields on a Tesla.

If you are considering a repair, I would ensure that Safelite, or the vendor you plan to use for the repair, has the replacement glass in stock before they start the repair. Based on Geico's recommendation, I had Safelite repair a very small chip in my windshield on May 6. The repair 'failed' according to the technician and now I have a 20" crack running across the drivers side of the windshield. On Tuesday, Safelite called to say that they had the windshield in stock and scheduled an appointment for me for the following Monday. The next day someone else called me and said that no, they did not in fact have the windshield, and it would likely be a few weeks, as Tesla model 3 windshields are taking a while to get. Oh, yeah Geico states that since Safelite cracked the windshield, they should replace it and I should not have to pay the deductible. Safelite says no way, I need to pay the $500 deductible. its all academic at this point, since they don't have the windshield to replace it, and the crack grows a little longer each day....

I'm not overly sold on Safelite's repair abilities. That being said, a friend here did have her model 3 windshield successfully repaired by them, so I admit that I'm only one (slightly bitter) data point.

This post motivated me to give my buddies at Safelite a call, since it has been 3 weeks since they cracked my winshield while trying to repair it and I have not heard from them. After 10 minutes on hold and two customer service people, I was told that they are having trouble getting the windshield from Tesla and it will likely be three weeks. I pointed out that I was told 3 weeks ago that it would be three weeks and the customer service rep seemed stumped. I think they are just guessing, no clue. I advised them that they may not want to undertake repairs on glass that they can not replace without warning customers of this risk, but he didn't seem to understand this concept. Still not impressed with Safelite. I get it, it takes a while to get parts from Tesla, but the Safelite customer service folks seem so clueless!

• Informative
Reactions: Runnergirl
Definitely get a quote generated from Tesla. Shoot an email to your service center and note that you left a voicemail, maybe it’ll be easier for them to send it straight to you through email. From what I understand, Tesla doesn’t work with insurance (at least on glass repairs?) so you'll definitely want to know for sure what you’re paying out of pocket and what Geico will cover.

I would’ve suggested seeing if Safelite would repair it for probably about 100 bucks (and Geico covered the repair costs with no deductible when I had them repair my windshield) but from what I understand, repairs near the edges of glass is discouraged, and some Safelite locations won’t touch anything that aren’t windshields on a Tesla.

It definitely cannot be repaired as it is cracked on the edge - at least not to looking like stock which I want. As far as getting the quote from Tesla - not only have they not returned my numerous calls and voicemails, but when they finally did reach out via text, it was to inform me that my appointment for this Monday (tomorrow) is being cancelled because "there is currently a constraint supply on the part" They said "We have moved forward with escalating the concern in order to assist with getting the part sooner. However, we currently do not have an estimated time of arrival" Great.....no reply when replied asking for itemized quote.

If you are considering a repair, I would ensure that Safelite, or the vendor you plan to use for the repair, has the replacement glass in stock before they start the repair. Based on Geico's recommendation, I had Safelite repair a very small chip in my windshield on May 6. The repair 'failed' according to the technician and now I have a 20" crack running across the drivers side of the windshield. On Tuesday, Safelite called to say that they had the windshield in stock and scheduled an appointment for me for the following Monday. The next day someone else called me and said that no, they did not in fact have the windshield, and it would likely be a few weeks, as Tesla model 3 windshields are taking a while to get. Oh, yeah Geico states that since Safelite cracked the windshield, they should replace it and I should not have to pay the deductible. Safelite says no way, I need to pay the $500 deductible. its all academic at this point, since they don't have the windshield to replace it, and the crack grows a little longer each day....

I'm not overly sold on Safelite's repair abilities. That being said, a friend here did have her model 3 windshield successfully repaired by them, so I admit that I'm only one (slightly bitter) data point.

This post motivated me to give my buddies at Safelite a call, since it has been 3 weeks since they cracked my winshield while trying to repair it and I have not heard from them. After 10 minutes on hold and two customer service people, I was told that they are having trouble getting the windshield from Tesla and it will likely be three weeks. I pointed out that I was told 3 weeks ago that it would be three weeks and the customer service rep seemed stumped. I think they are just guessing, no clue. I advised them that they may not want to undertake repairs on glass that they can not replace without warning customers of this risk, but he didn't seem to understand this concept. Still not impressed with Safelite. I get it, it takes a while to get parts from Tesla, but the Safelite customer service folks seem so clueless!

@GreenMtnM3 - that stinks that they are putting you through the hassle. I have had a good experience with them years ago where they came to my work and replaced a windshield of a Nissan 350z I used to own while I was working. I think the Model 3 and Tesla's constrain issues have a negative downstream impact on companies like them who aren't used to dealing with those situations. Not giving excuses for them, as they should still have better customer service. Many people/customer service depts don't understand that an honest answer is better than a guess when it comes to expectation setting, even if the honest answer is "there's no way for us to know." They need to be able to communicate that up front. At the end of the day - I am working with Tesla directly and even THEY don't know when the part will be available - so how would a downstream service company know?

Update from me. Tesla sent me the invoice estimate and it’s $517 parts and $273 labor with them charging $195 per hour for labor. I sent it to the insurance this morning and they are covering it 100% minus my deductible. My comprehensive deductible is $500 but they said my policy has a clause where glass is covered with a $50 deductible. So I’ll be out $50 for my mistake. Not too bad. Now the issue is waiting for the rear glass to get in stock. Who knows how long that’ll be.

Update from me. Tesla sent me the invoice estimate and it’s $517 parts and $273 labor with them charging $195 per hour for labor. I sent it to the insurance this morning and they are covering it 100% minus my deductible. My comprehensive deductible is $500 but they said my policy has a clause where glass is covered with a $50 deductible. So I’ll be out $50 for my mistake. Not too bad. Now the issue is waiting for the rear glass to get in stock. Who knows how long that’ll be.

My son flopped a folding chair into my trunk cracking a penny sized area on the bottom edge of my rear glass. Geico told me that the rear panoramic glass wasn't covered under their $50 deductible "Glass Program" because it's part of the roof. They want to to charge me my full $500 comprehensive deductible. How did you swing the $50 deal?

I could be wrong, but every dealership I've ever worked at subbed out glass work to a local company, and just marked up the cost.

Yup. When I put a 2x6 through the windshield on my wife’s Enclave (oops) ... my service folks at the Buick dealership just gave me the name of the folks they use. Told me point blank, all they’d do is call them anyway and mark it up, so might as well cut out the middleman. They came to the house and did a great job; you’d never know.

I realize it’s typically an oxymoron, but I just might have found an honest dealership! I won’t let anyone else touch my Buick. They’ve been great to me, so I’m good to them.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue