Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model 3 but Tesla is kind of hard to get in touch with. I have a glass replacement claim with my insurance and have glass coverage. I'd much rather have Tesla install the new windshield but I can't find out if they work with insurance companies. Has anyone used Tesla Service for glass repair and had their insurance company cover it? Thanks.

yes. I went to the Service center with my broken windshield (no appointment, but pre Covid) and paid out-of-pocket for the replacement. then filed a claim with Farmers Insurance and attached the receipt and photos of the broken windshield as well as screenshot from Tesla cam showing a truck flinging a piece of road debris into my windshield). They deposited the claim minus $120 glass deductible around 8 business days later.

Yes, I have American Family insurance, comprehensive glass coverage, so no deductibles. This is especially important with so much glass on the car.

Simply put, Tesla does not work with insurance companies. You must pay out of pocket and file your claim afterwards.

To expedite everything, I worked with my AmFam representative so that everything was queued up to go as soon as I submitted the invoice with proof of payment.

I received a check with the full invoice amount a few days later.

EDIT: Tesla replaced the front sunroof panel. At the time, nobody, not even Safelite, would replace it other than Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks for the replies. I went through Safelite and the location I went to has a guy dedicated to just doing Tesla's. He seemed to know what he was doing. It was faster than waiting for a Tesla SC appointment. But...after replacement, the AP is leaning to the far right hand side of the lane. From some stuff I've read, the AP should recalibrate after 100 miles or so. Any more info on this would be much appreciated.

Reactions: Hot Cha
Thanks for the replies. I went through Safelite and the location I went to has a guy dedicated to just doing Tesla's. He seemed to know what he was doing. It was faster than waiting for a Tesla SC appointment. But...after replacement, the AP is leaning to the far right hand side of the lane. From some stuff I've read, the AP should recalibrate after 100 miles or so. Any more info on this would be much appreciated.
Also depending on your software you can go into the settings and recalibrate the cameras manually.