TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Glass roof and tinted windows

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rw86347, Nov 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rw86347

rw86347 Member

I just ordered a model S 90D in black. I would really like dark tinted windows. However, I also ordered the glass roof. Should I tent the roof? Would that look funny if it was not tinted?

solar20roof.png

2. Pando

Pando Member

I would not tent the roof, as it surely would fly off at high speed.

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 2
  3. rw86347

rw86347 Member

They tint from the inside.

4. Pando

Pando Member

Tint, yes, but why would you put the tent inside?

• Like x 1
  5. ticopowell

ticopowell Member

Really guys? rw86347, you said you wanted to "tent" the roof (you obviously meant "tint" the roof) so that's why Pando is responding that way.
    I tinted my Pano and I like it, I think I went too dark, 15%, but I would recommend a light tint to keep the sun off your head and keep cooling to a minimum.

• Disagree x 1
  6. Pando

Pando Member

lol. Yeah, I took him for a ride a bit.
    sorry about that.

• Like x 2
  7. rw86347

rw86347 Member

Oh sorry, was 15% too dark because it already had tint or because 15% is just plain dark?

• Disagree x 1
  8. ticopowell

ticopowell Member

Its too dark because it's already tinted, I have 15% in the back and 50% on the driver and passenger windows. The 50% might work on top but the 15% is too dark. I basically can't see through it.

9. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

If the glass roof is like the Pano Roof, and I expect it is, it will be heavily tinted from the factory. Looks almost like a black roof. Whether or not to tint it will be up to you, but most don't need extra tint on the pano roof.

10. wamochi

wamochi Member

the factory tint is fairly dark. i tinted our first MS pano roof super dark to further reduce glare and reject heat.

if you are worried about uniformity from the outside, don't be. i tinted our new one 35% on the sides, but 15% (even darker) on the rear hatch and it looks great with the pano with factory tint.

11. rw86347

rw86347 Member

I was thinking about 15% on the sides and back only. And I think you all are in agreement that it is the way to go.

12. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

I was quite disappointed when I saw the picture of this car on the inside. I thought that the view of the driver was tremendously hampered because of the A-frame pillar across the top. I was thinking that this panoramic option would look much like the MX glass roof tops.

13. rw86347

rw86347 Member

I *think* they either need an A pillar that goes across or a B pillar that goes across. Because this has an optional sun roof I doubt you will ever see a panoramic roof.

14. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

It is not advertised or claimed to be panoramic like the Model X. It is just a fixed glass roof instead of the opening panoramic roof. To do what you are asking would require a significant engineering undertaking. The crossbar you mention is the same for both roof versions. Only difference is the center bar is removed for the fixed glass roof.

15. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

I think I'm going to tint my windows as well, but from what I've seen, that should just make them match the fairly dark factory tint on the roof.

16. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Although I agree with you.......I want the M3 to have the same roof as the MX somehow. It does not have an A pillar beam.

17. HyperMiler

HyperMiler Member

I have been the first aide to an accident barely survived by the occupant but not the animal after their (Ford) car running into a horse, with the A pillar cross bar moving all the way back to their forehead and knocking them unconscious but not killing them. Always a fan of the 60s light glass house elegance until then, I have tended to be much more sympathetic towards a strong A pillar/ A pillar crossbar since then. Any of the moose state inhabitants want to chime in on this one?

• Like x 1
  18. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Gave me a few good laughs:)

19. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

You really do not need to tint the roof. Save your dough. I use the car in sunny hot Sydney Australia with no issues of heat intrusion. The roof is dark enough from the factory.

20. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

what rw86347 said.

The front windshield of the X is only possible by the structural integrity provided by the longitudinal spine that is the roof/ falcon wind door hinge point (personally i suspect this part is built extremely rigid and strong)
    The model S in its (current iteration) doesn't have this support, so its likely not possible.

They already give up the support of the cross bar to make this glass roof feature. Any more compromise and you would give up safety.