Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof as an option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I rewatched the old March 31, 2016 unveiling video on YouTube yesterday. In discussing how this smaller version of the S will still comfortably fit five adults -- and he emphasized comfortably -- Elon cites the glass roof and its positive effect on headroom and a feeling of openness as a necessary design element. Since that time it seems lots of people are speculating glass will only be an added cost option. (There also seems to be a theory that the open roof allows robots to build the interiors and if that is true it would seem the metal roof should be an extra cost item if it is even an option.)

So since the glass roof seems to be a key design feature, does anyone know why there seems to be a belief that glass will be an extra cost option? (BTW, my S has the glass roof -- not a pano -- and I agree with Elon that it does make the back seat far more usable even on the larger S.)

Last edited:
The optional glass roof is not the same glass roof that enables rear headroom. That rear piece of glass will be on all Model 3's. (Think Model X widshield except on the rear of the car)

The optional glass is the piece directly above the driver and front passenger seats.
OK then I wouldn't bother paying extra for that piece of glass as I see little value in my S' all glass roof except for the rear seat. I don't even notice it when driving except for occasionally noticing the sun overhead -- and I could do without that.

Reactions: P100DHG.
I personally think, and many people on the Internet seem to agree, that the all-glass roof will be standard on the Model3. All RCs that have been spotted have had it and Elon has emphasized that they want to keep production simple. Even the body-in-white photo pointed to this. I personally want the all-glass roof and I think most buyers will too.

I know that some people in extremely warm (and cold) climates are concerned about the glass being too thermally inefficient but people who have a ModelS with the same glass roof (and coatings) say that it does not heat up the cabin noticeably. These cars look amazing when they're bathed in diffused ambient light coming in through the top.

Reactions: Jaff
I know that some people in extremely warm (and cold) climates are concerned about the glass being too thermally inefficient but people who have a ModelS with the same glass roof (and coatings) say that it does not heat up the cabin noticeably. These cars look amazing when they're bathed in diffused ambient light coming in through the top.
I am doubtful that the 3 will have the Glass Roof as standard now that it is standard on the S. Having the 3 come standard with the metal roof will be another way for Tesla to differentiate the two models. And surely a metal roof would be significantly cheaper to manufacture than a glass roof? All the 3 RC cars being spotted with Glass Roofs may just indicate that the initial production run cars will be made that way, just as it appears that they will initially all be made with the optional higher capacity battery. But later 3 production will offer the base battery and perhaps the base metal roof (my speculation).

Based on posts on TMC, my impression is that the vast majority of S Glass Roof owners do not have a cabin heat problem, and those that do find the AC can easily handle it.The S Glass Roof is amazing visually: with sunglasses on I can look directly at the sun through the glass roof with no discomfort but can still see wispy clouds and make out leaves on trees. That is incredible! I was not bothered by any heat coming through the roof, and I am sensitive to hot temperatures. And as you note, the way the interior of the car looks from the outside with the additional light coming through the roof is stunning. It is stunning inside as well: I feel like I am in deep shade yet I can still see the sun. It's remarkable!

I do not want a glass roof or sunroof, I dont care how great some people say it is. And I certainly do not want to pay more for an "option" I don't even want!!!

If the robots can glue in the sunroof when they are done working inside the car, why can't they glue in a metal roof panel just as easily?

I do not want a glass roof or sunroof, I dont care how great some people say it is. And I certainly do not want to pay more for an "option" I don't even want!!!
If you are intending to buy a 3, you can calm down. The base roof type will be a metal roof. Initial production may be glass roof cars only, we don't know for sure, but soon Tesla will start building 3s with metal roofs.

Damn I wish I kept a link to the article I came across earlier this week (it was off a google feed, but I think LA time or something similar). They mentioned that in the course of writing the article they talked to at least one engineer at Tesla about what lessons they learned from the model S/X production as it will relate to the Model 3.

One thing specifically mentioned was that having a glass roof allows the robots to do some of the work from the top of the car that would otherwise have to be done by a person.

To me this reaffirms the theory that a full glass roof would be the default if it's going to help automate production. (If I can dig up the article I'll come back an edit the post with a link)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
I wish I would have found the similar thread of a couple months ago before starting this one as this one has really gone off the rails. :rolleyes:

AZ_Rael explained in the post above what seems most likely to me -- metal or glass will be options for the area above the front seats only. The rest of the roof will be glass to ensure comfortable three passenger seating in the rear (and robot access). If you are tall and sit in an S rear seat with full glass vs metal, you'll see why Elon touted the glass as needed for comfortable rear seating in a 3. (If my memory is correct, I believe that large piece of glass extending over the rear seats eliminated any meaningful changes to the "revealed" trunk, which was criticized by many people who love the S hatchback.)

• Disagree
for reference in this discussion the optional glass section is thought to be the middle piece in this photo

2017-Tesla-Model-3-top-view-interior-seats.jpg

One thing specifically mentioned was that having a glass roof allows the robots to do some of the work from the top of the car that would otherwise have to be done by a person.

To me this reaffirms the theory that a full glass roof would be the default if it's going to help automate production.

I wound also like to point out that it's cheaper for tesla to do a glass roof instead of a metal roof. It's this reason and the reason stated above that I believe the glass roof will be standard and sunroof a premium, not even having the metal roof as an option.

• Helpful
I wish I would have found the similar thread of a couple months ago before starting this one as this one has really gone off the rails. :rolleyes:

AZ_Rael explained in the post above what seems most likely to me -- metal or glass will be options for the area above the front seats only. The rest of the roof will be glass to ensure comfortable three passenger seating in the rear (and robot access). If you are tall and sit in an S rear seat with full glass vs metal, you'll see why Elon touted the glass as needed for comfortable rear seating in a 3. (If my memory is correct, I believe that large piece of glass extending over the rear seats eliminated any meaningful changes to the "revealed" trunk, which was criticized by many people who love the S hatchback.)

Just because the glass makes manufacturing cheaper, it doesn't mean the glass option will be the least expensive.

Tesla could make a few with metal roofs and call that the base model.

Hopefully other people are right in that there will only be the glass roof as the base and the sunroof as the add-on.